Christian Wilkins and the reality of our cap situation | Page 10 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Christian Wilkins and the reality of our cap situation

Bonus $ absolutely do count against the cap. You can amortize it over the length of the contract, or even add void years at the end, but there is no free lunch.

I would like to keep CW too, but say you sign him to a backloaded contract. What you end up doing is having a cheap first year, but 30+m $ cap charges for future years, for a DT.

Not that that in itself is completely insurmountable, but you have other good players that are going to be looking for second contracts in the near future, as well.

Add to this that Tyreek is already on the books for pretty big money, as is Ramsey.

Given the cap situation, if we aren't careful, the whole house of cards is going to come tumbling down in the next few years. We are already in a precarious position, and will likely restructure players that we will be paying for years beyond their prime.

Like I said, I like CW, and think he's a top DT, but if we don't field a solid Oline next year that allows Tua more time in the pocket to dissect defenses, all of it is for naught, IMO, regardless.
Yeah, there aren't easy decisions. To me, because he has two ACL injuries, I'd move on from Williams. He's a really good player, but Miami has too many injury risks.

Jones could replace Hunt at RG. Would hate to lose both Williams and Hunt, though.

In Miami's favor, I think this is a great draft for offensive line.

Wilkins may be the best DT in Dolphins history. He affects games. I'd just find a way to keep him.

Last edited:
You could sign DJ Reader and Antoine Wingfield Jr for the same money as Wilkins. Which gives you a better D?

Wilkins is no mean Joe green, minister of defense, or Vita Vea, but he is certainly a “should keep” guy on our D, if at all fiscally possible.

Vea regularly draws triple coverage, but even then he regularly gets through.

Green was the same.

Wilkins routinely beats double teams and that is impressive.

Yeah, there aren't easy decisions. To me, because he has two ACL injuries, I'd move on from Williams. He a really good player, but Miami has too many injury risks.

Jones could replace Hunt at RG. Would hate to lose both Williams and Hunt, though.

Wilkins may be the best DT in Dolphins history. He affects games. I'd just find a way to keep him.
I don't see Williams back unless it's on the cheap. We weren't willing to extend him before the recent injury.

As far as Hunt being easier to replace? That may be true, but would it be substantially cheaper (which is what really matters)?

Unless you happen to hit on a phenomenal rookie in the draft to make an immediate impact, something that hasn't been a strong point, does it make sense to let Hunt walk over a couple million saved on bringing in questionable FA? As you say, maybe Jones can take the spot, but he isn't nearly as athletic on the zone run schemes McD favors.

The dropoff in the effectiveness of our run game without Hunt and Williams was pretty obvious, to me at least. If we lose both? Good luck with that next season.

JMO, and you're right. These are tough decision. It will be interesting.

I don't see these discussions as right or wrong, black or white, or adversarial. I, just like most of us, am just concerned about the team going forward. Maybe Grier and the bean counters can pull a miracle out of their collective butts.

The difference in money for what it takes to keep Hunt, as opposed to CW is huge, like more than twice as much.

Wilkins is no mean Joe green, minister of defense, or Vita Vea, but he is certainly a “should keep” guy on our D, if at all fiscally possible.

Vea regularly draws triple coverage, but even then he regularly gets through.

Green was the same.

Wilkins routinely beats double teams and that is impressive.
I think we should keep him too. But, at a reasonable price. He already turned down $20 million per year. If he wants more than that he can walk. Like you said, he is not mean Joe Green or Vita.

I don't see Williams back unless it's on the cheap. We weren't willing to extend him before the recent injury.

As far as Hunt being easier to replace? That may be true, but would it be substantially cheaper (which is what really matters)?

Unless you happen to hit on a phenomenal rookie in the draft to make an immediate impact, something that hasn't been a strong point, does it make sense to let Hunt walk over a couple million saved on bringing in questionable FA? As you say, maybe Jones can take the spot, but he isn't nearly as athletic on the zone run schemes McD favors.

The dropoff in the effectiveness of our run game without Hunt and Williams was pretty obvious, to me at least. If we lose both? Good luck with that next season.

JMO, and you're right. These are tough decision. It will be interesting.

I don't see these discussions as right or wrong, black or white, or adversarial. I, just like most of us, am just concerned about the team going forward. Maybe Grier and the bean counters can pull a miracle out of their collective butts.

The difference in money for what it takes to keep Hunt, as opposed to CW is huge, like more than twice as much.
Right. Not going to be an easy offseason.

Good point on Jones. He clearly isn't as athletic as Hunt. That would be a downgrade.

Then they would take the entire cap hit. Does it really make sense to do that?
IMO, yes. Wilkins on a one-year, $20-21 million deal is reasonable, and if someone else wants to pay him, we can extract assets in a trade.

The alternatives are either (1) paying him even more on a long-term, annualized basis and back-loading bad money to a 29-year old DT who is very good but not great, or (2) letting one of our best players walk for nothing.

Yeah, there aren't easy decisions. To me, because he has two ACL injuries, I'd move on from Williams. He a really good player, but Miami has too many injury risks.

You must not be very old to make a ridiculous claim like that.

IMO, yes. Wilkins on a one-year, $20-21 million deal is reasonable, and if someone else wants to pay him, we can extract assets in a trade.

The alternatives are either (1) paying him even more on a long-term, annualized basis and back-loading bad money to a 29-year old DT who is very good but not great, or (2) letting one of our best players walk for nothing.
We already offered that and declined and sat out. Next.

Big T

Big Tim was pretty good. I’m not sure if Wilkins is better.
As a guy who liked Bowens, I don't think this is really that much of a contest, especially in today's game.

Bowens was a run stuffer. Wilkins has as many sacks in half the games, probably as many tackles for loss (they didn't keep that Bowens' first few seasons), more passes knocked down at the line.

Wilkins gives you that pass rush up the middle in a way few natural tackles do. He's more disruptive, and that allows you to do more things defensively.

As a guy who liked Bowens, I don't think this is really that much of a contest, especially in today's game.

Bowens was a run stuffer. Wilkins has as many sacks in half the games, probably as many tackles for loss (they didn't keep that Bowens' first few seasons), more passes knocked down at the line.

Wilkins gives you that pass rush up the middle in a way few natural tackles do. He's more disruptive, and that allows you to do more things defensively.

Come on bean counters. Find a creative way to keep him

giphy.gif

Where is April what's her name when we need her

Back
Top Bottom