Christian Wilkins and the reality of our cap situation | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Christian Wilkins and the reality of our cap situation

Is ESPN good enough for you? Says here that what I told you which is that they offered him $20 million per and he turned it down. I believe $20 million is the Max the FO will pay him, and he’s not going to accept that after the year he had.
You originally stated 24mm. A 20% increase from 20mm is kind of large man. And fwiw, it was widely reported last year the salary was agreeable it was the guarantee they couldn't meet on hence why the deal wasn't made last year.

You originally stated 24mm. A 20% increase from 20mm is kind of large man. And fwiw, it was widely reported last year the salary was agreeable it was the guarantee they couldn't meet on hence why the deal wasn't made last year.
I said he was looking for $24 million which was what Quinen Williams got and that he turned down $20 million per which is what we offered. This confirmed half of what I said which is that he turned down $20 Million that we offered.

It’s actually not that simple. This isn’t fantasy footballu

No, any position that gets sacks, INTs, fumbles, or TDs are considered playmakers. It’s rare for a DT to get a lot of sacks but while CW is a great kid and team leader, he is too expensive and has a tendency to disappear vs good teams and gets his sacks vs weak teams.
Generally, elite edge rushers and corners are valued higher than defensive tackles. There are exceptions, but if you are looking at what is considered a premium position, I’m not sure you’d consider the position a premium position, if you look league wide. The exceptions you can count in one hand. In any case, CW is a great player we ate just in a tough position.

Last edited:
I think we paid Suh like 20 mil 9 years ago although he was coming off a 15 sack year or something like that. It was crazy to me at the time.

Someone will pay him.
If you get 9 sacks from that position it becomes a premium position IMO. That’s why he’s getting 24 million from someone.

If Wilkins goes to a team in city with state taxes he won’t be making much more than Miami’s original offer. I think he’s going to regret leaving.

I said he was looking for $24 million which was what Quinen Williams got and that he turned down $20 million per which is what we offered. This confirmed half of what I said which is that he turned down $20 Million that we offered.
If we offered 20m and he refused then I wish him well. No state income tax, playing for the team that drafted him, a coach who spoils players (or at least treats them in a kind manner) doesn’t have to move. And a team on the rise. There are a lot of positives to being part of the Phins.

He’s is not in the same universe as QW and got almost all of his production vs bad teams. He’s a legend in his own mind. Highly doubt we resign. Take the compensatory and move on.

They can totally afford to sign Wilkins. We're over the cap but we have a ton of flexibility. Be patient thought, because Miami will allow is free agents to test test free agency and set the market - which I feel makes players more expensive. I dont expect a Wilkins deal until March or April.

They can totally afford to sign Wilkins. We're over the cap but we have a ton of flexibility. Be patient thought, because Miami will allow is free agents to test test free agency and set the market - which I feel makes players more expensive. I dont expect a Wilkins deal until March or April.
It’s not just this year, it’s next year, Tua, Waddle, Jaelyn Phillips, Javon Holland, etc…My prediction is we don’t sign him because his number will be too high for the FO.

It’s not just this year, it’s next year, Tua, Waddle, Jaelyn Phillips, Javon Holland, etc…My prediction is we don’t sign him because his number will be too high for the FO.
Don’t think we do either. He had his chance to sign and then sat out and declined. Writing is on the wall.

I think we hold at our previous offer of 20m. Maybe improve the guarantee years. If he get a better offer we wish him well. There are a couple DTs in the draft worth looking at.

I think we paid Suh like 20 mil 9 years ago although he was coming off a 15 sack year or something like that. It was crazy to me at the time.

we signed Suh to a $114M 6 year contract And paid him like $60m which was guaranteed…He was the highest paid player in Dolphins history at the time and we won F all…

Back
Top Bottom