CK sums it up perfectly | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

CK sums it up perfectly

Then why wasn't the same first-half to second-half discrepancy observed earlier in the season as well?

It was. Let's do this. In 17 games, Miami scored 2 TDs in the 2H only 5 times (I'm excluding DEN an an outlier). Those 5?
TEN - the 2 TD drives were 7 and 12 yds.
KC -
CAR - nuf said.
NYG - nuf said
WAS - nuf said
NE - 2nd game - 1 TD was a 27 yd drive
That's it. 6 games with NO TDs in 2H.
Now, let's move on to length of drives. I'm arbitrarily using 6 plays as my cut off. In the 2H of 16 games, only 5 games did Miami have two or more drives over 6 plays. Three times they had ONE drive over 6 plays and once ZERO drives over 6 plays. And keep in mind that generally means very few 1Ds. Also, for reference, in 4 of those games Miami entered the 2H with a lead - less pressure on the OC.
Those numbers are over the entire season. That, IMO, is horrendous. Those stats can't be explained by injuries or mistakes and it's hard to imagine TT having a 'bad' game in every 2H and overwhelmingly only the 2H.

It was. Let's do this. In 17 games, Miami scored 2 TDs in the 2H only 5 times (I'm excluding DEN an an outlier). Those 5?
TEN - the 2 TD drives were 7 and 12 yds.
KC -
CAR - nuf said.
NYG - nuf said
WAS - nuf said
NE - 2nd game - 1 TD was a 27 yd drive
That's it. 6 games with NO TDs in 2H.
Now, let's move on to length of drives. I'm arbitrarily using 6 plays as my cut off. In the 2H of 16 games, only 5 games did Miami have two or more drives over 6 plays. Three times they had ONE drive over 6 plays and once ZERO drives over 6 plays. And keep in mind that generally means very few 1Ds. Also, for reference, in 4 of those games Miami entered the 2H with a lead - less pressure on the OC.
Those numbers are over the entire season. That, IMO, is horrendous. Those stats can't be explained by injuries or mistakes and it's hard to imagine TT having a 'bad' game in every 2H and overwhelmingly only the 2H.
In weeks 1 through 13 of the season the Dolphins' first-half EPA per play was 0.181, third-best in the league. Their second half EPA per play those weeks was 0.096, fourth-best in the league.

In weeks 14 through 18 and the wildcard, the Dolphins' first-half EPA per play was 0.108, 9th-best in the league. Their second-half EPA per play those weeks was a staggeringly low -0.215, 29th-best in the league.

In weeks 1 through 13 of the season the Dolphins' first-half EPA per play was 0.181, third-best in the league. Their second half EPA per play those weeks was 0.096, fourth-best in the league.

In weeks 14 through 18 and the wildcard, the Dolphins' first-half EPA per play was 0.108, 9th-best in the league. Their second-half EPA per play those weeks was a staggeringly low -0.215, 29th-best in the league.

I'm a fan of EPA. It's clear, however, in Miami's case, high EPA didn't result in a lot of points. That high EPA is true though they had very few long drives. Puzzling.

CK is sharp.

Listening to him on 3YPC, he feels a little too emotionally attached to Tua.

Tua is good and he doesn't deserve all the blame, but he is seriously limited, we need to stop making excuses for him.

Show me one post where someone allegedly made excuses for Tua and I will show you a post where that person is explaining the forest over the trees.

Fits perfectly into my opinion that McDaniels needs to give up playcalling. He’s great having all week to come up with a gameplan but once defenses adjust, he’s toast. He tried to do the same things that worked in a first have but defenses adjust. He can’t come up with a new attack in a 10 minute halftime and has to concentrate on the defense in between series so he can’t pre plan drives or come up with a few situational plays.

I never bought that Tua just forgets how to play vs good teams. He executes when it’s there but vs good teams it’s not there and McDaniels doesn’t adjust.

The dolphins need a home away from home in the Appalachians. After Thanksgiving, switch to training there. The season ends a month later than it did in 73. Frigid playoff games are guaranteed without a bye, which is rarer than ever.

Yes he nailed it perfectly. Our offense is so specific and when teams have figured out how to stop it there is really nothing McD can do to counter that which is why we have stuggled against good defenses.

I've been saying we need to add more versatility to our offense since last offseason but we really didnt.

I wonder how much of the problem with tua reading the defense at times. Did it have to do more with his abilities or the lack of McDaniel getting the damn play in time for him to get a proper pre snap read?

One thing I believe for certain is that McDaniel should not be the play caller, and I hoping that if we get a new play caller hopefully Tua improves in that aspect. Because I don't see Tua going anywhere next year. And of course a turnstile at the Oline didn't help the cause.

Nailed it.
Yes, when the OL was healthy, life was good. Injuries happened and the nosedive began. Obviously, they need more quality depth on the OL.

This CK guys does make a point about the RB and WR positions. They are talented at what they do, but limited when it comes to those situations where you physically need to overpower your opponent. Maybe Chris Brooks can develop into the player that can get you that 3rd and 1 or 4th and 1 when you need to get it, but if not, they need to go get one. WR-wise, they have one guy who can outphysical a defender for a ball - Wilson. He is the only player over 6 foot tall that is dependable. The other 2 are flakes (Chosen & Claypool).

I wonder how much of the problem with tua reading the defense at times. Did it have to do more with his abilities or the lack of McDaniel getting the damn play in time for him to get a proper pre snap read?

One thing I believe for certain is that McDaniel should not be the play caller, and I hoping that if we get a new play caller hopefully Tua improves in that aspect. Because I don't see Tua going anywhere next year. And of course a turnstile at the Oline didn't help the cause.

I routinely see Tua out of time to do what normal QBs do in shotgun or under center. The play from McD takes so long to relay to Tua that it takes all of Tua's time to relay it to the team. At that point, when they get to the line of scrimmage, there is no time for Tua to do pre read checks and adjustments to protection or to audible out of the play called by McD. This has to change. I think Tua has been hinting at this all season but he is still too polite to tell McD this is what he truly would like to see change.

Tua files this issue under "communication" issues. We have all heard Tua say this a number of times during the season.

I don't think it's a Tua intelligence issue. I get the sense from watching the season unfold that it's McD trying to figure stuff out, experimenting, and enjoying his experiment, to the detriment of an efficient and overpowering O.

" On Nov 14th, 2023 this happened and we lost the division because one team had the balls to do what needed to be done.
ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. (AP) — Witnessing a troubling surge in turnovers and a worrisome drop in quarterback Josh Allen’s confidence provided Buffalo Bills coach Sean McDermott little choice but to fire offensive coordinator Ken Dorsey on Tuesday.

Want Tua to play better learn from the Team who stole the division from you and get a new Oc and play caller. Josh Allen would probably play worse in this offense.

It didn't manifest in the first halves of those games because the opposing teams simply came together at the half and redoubled their efforts under the conditions of a late-season playoff push, whereas the Dolphins could not. The opposing teams generated an extra gear at the half, whereas the Dolphins could generate no such extra gear
Whatever macho fastasies rustle your jimmies, dude. But they bore me.

Back
Top Bottom