CK sums it up perfectly | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

CK sums it up perfectly

This is the same vicious cycle we went around with Tannehill. Conditions needing to be nearly perfect for the lackluster qb to win
I agree with a lot of what he said but what it ultimately comes down to is - do you have a qb
We do not

Been on this since last offseason, when I wanted Miami to draft Kraft and Washington at TE.

When I saw them adding more small players instead (Achane and Berrios), I was like, Well, they must have a plan. Let's see how it goes.

It went fine for a while, but vs good teams, who were able to put a lid on the offense and get physical with Hill and Waddle, while setting the edge vs the run, Miami had no counter.

Cold weather only exacerbates the issue.

Miami desperately needs to add tough/physical players who win through you, rather than around you. If they had that balance, defenses would actually be conflicted. While the team building falls some on McDaniel, it's hard for me to fault his playcalling too much, because there's only so much you can do with a finesse-only team. It was very clever of him to build a running game that worked as well as it did.

To play vs the big boys, you need big boys.

Yeah I was thinking about this while watching the Rams. It’s better to be big and kind of fast than small and blazing fast. Puka Nacua Is already better than Waddle ever will be IMO.

I also agree about giving McDaniel props for calling plays based on what he’s got. I think Fangio did the opposite. He called the D based on players he wished he had.

Wasnt it mcdaniel himself who told grier and scouting department to forego olineman and key on skill guys? Why put yourself in this situation in the first place.
Hey F, it would be great if someone started a thread to look at this and take in some data, rumors, and general nonsense, ahem, ahem. 😁

The Ever Instigating VIPER

My #2 problem w Tua and offense that I posted in another thread was no TE safety valve like Mahomes, Purdy, and Lamar have. It’s no coincidence they’re the top 3 TEs in league on the “best” teams.

Grier isn’t as worried as the fans about OL and TE? Piss off!

This speaks volumes

View attachment 158905

Miamis peak and best game happened to be the only game their actual starting oline played. Pressures and sacks sky rocket when Connor Williams did not play whether that’s because Williams is that good or Eichenburg is that bad isn’t for me to answer but make of it what you will.
I don't think any team has the depth to survive four backups on the line. Two is about the limit, I would guess.

The team actually has dogs, but when "the team takes on the personality of its coach" and the coach is a goofball, it pulls from the dogs their penchant for fun and games instead of their killer instinct. Then you have a team that orchestrates elaborate end zone celebrations instead of going for the opposing team's jugular.

Put these same players under Dan Campbell and they're serious and driven and capable of overcoming teams that are likewise playing that way, instead of being humiliated by them.
Well said. That's something we haven't talked about enough on this board. We like Coach McDaniel's goofball personality and entertaining banter but when it comes down to it, a coach has also got to instill fire and, yes, some meanness into his players.

How does that account for the dramatic difference between first- and second-half performance by the Dolphins' offense over the past six games, including the wildcard?

The Dolphins were 8th in the league in EPA per play (0.108) in the first halves of those games. They were 29th in the league in EPA per play (-0.215) in the second halves of those games.

Certainly if the mechanical aspects of the Dolphins' offense had been "solved" by opposing teams' defenses later in the season, those teams wouldn't have surrendered the 8th-best offensive performance in the league in the first halves of those games.

The better explanation is that the team simply doesn't have the culture or leadership to bear down and play with sufficient drive and intensity against teams that are making late-season pushes to make the playoffs and get the highest seeds possible. They therefore crumbled in the second halves of those games, after opposing teams have regrouped at the half and redoubled their efforts.

It's a reflection of the team culture and leadership.
It all starts with the center. Teams are attacking the middle of our line and putting Eich on skates.

Slice the ppg by games with Connor Williams vs without. It’s bad.

I keep seeing mocks of us taking a tackle round one. I think you have to look at NT (1) then center (2). That said if there is a center they absolutely love, grab him early. They need a long term solution who can reliably snap the ball AND anchor the line.

This is the same vicious cycle we went around with Tannehill. Conditions needing to be nearly perfect for the lackluster qb to win
I agree with a lot of what he said but what it ultimately comes down to is - do you have a qb
We do not
But you do this topic tremendous disservice name-dropping Tannehill. No Tannehill offense ever did what this one has done. It's apples to potatoes. The problem is that when this team has it working on all cylinders they are nearly impossible to stop, but when those cylinders aren't all working this thing backfires.

What I understand from what my eyes show me is that Tua has been blazing hot for about 6-8 weeks two seasons in a row, and then he cools off to such an extent that it's uncomfortable to see even in games where the team still piles on 30+ there just doens't seem to be the same rhythm. I have a hard time seeing past the drop in Tua's productivity two years in a row. It's enough that it makes me suspicious of him overall as a QB. I just can't put a finger on why he fades so much--the team definitely needs to be able to run the ball more and do more successful screens in order to restore offensive rhythm.

There will always be tons of respect for Chris in Dolphins fan circles but he's chosen to do some stuff over the last few years which has cost him some legacy points. Maybe that's just a choice we all make at some point.

>> Chris doesn't owe it to us to be here but every time we lose a good forum voice to the world of content streams the world gets a little more insular and the conversations get a little less dynamic.

He used to be a forum contributor and now he's not. You want to post free podcast content and get some donations to pay for expenses? Fine, but don't pull back from communicating with people and become an insular guy who expects followers. You'll only alienate yourself.

Personally, I'm the same age as Chris. He knows a lot and I respect him for it. I'll always be curious about what he thinks, but I'm not exactly stupid myself. I'm just as capable of creating my own perspectives and the older I get, the less I need to hear from others how to interpret what I'm seeing. I'm not making a point to subscribe to anyone who isn't breaking down actual film / stats in a way that's bringing novel insights to my own perspective.

He's always been a narrative creator. He creates a mental model of what he believes is happening and he sticks to that religiously which you can't do in areas of such significant uncertainty as being a follower of a football team. He's long-winded and tends to spin a yarn when it comes to what's happening and whether conscious or not, his theories too often fall into the habit of placing blame on a single source. Good historians don't sound like that. Too often Chris is burdened by his own past narratives when confronted with new data that doesn't fit.

Everyone needs a narrative structure but IMHO Chris goes too far thinking he's got it all figured out. I'm not saying he's arrogant but he weaves a yarn that I don't think you can do at such a level of granularity as would be needed to think the way he does at times.

Still one of my favorites voices but as someone who used to look at him as all-knowing, I can't say I feel that way now.

Last edited:
Then why wasn't the same first-half to second-half discrepancy observed earlier in the season as well?
Because we were playing better defenses in the second half of the season.

If it was a manliness deficit, as you claim, why didn't it manifest in the first half?

Because we were playing better defenses in the second half of the season.

If it was a manliness deficit, as you claim, why didn't it manifest in the first half?
Those defenses didn't suddenly "get better" nor did the Dolphins suddenly "get worse" at halftime of those games, yet there was a tremendous disparity in the Dolphins' offensive performance between the halves.

It didn't manifest in the first halves of those games because the opposing teams simply came together at the half and redoubled their efforts under the conditions of a late-season playoff push, whereas the Dolphins could not. The opposing teams generated an extra gear at the half, whereas the Dolphins could generate no such extra gear. The first halves of those games involved two teams playing with more equivalent effort, whereas the second halves involved opposing teams with an extra gear of effort the Dolphins couldn't match.

I don't think it's as bad as we are perceiving it at the moment.
I think what we desperately need is a power running game to compliment Achane's abilities.
For as much as it's important to score a bunch of points, you also need to be capable of playing keep away when the situation dictates.
As we saw McDaniel, for whatever reason, was too reliant on outside tosses and zone plays at the end.
The Bills on their current win streak have won time of possession in all but one of the games.

My #2 problem w Tua and offense that I posted in another thread was no TE safety valve like Mahomes, Purdy, and Lamar have. It’s no coincidence they’re the top 3 TEs in league on the “best” teams.

Grier isn’t as worried as the fans about OL and TE? Piss off!

You are right bro
I have the same line of thinking......but this draft don't seems have depth on TE :bang:

Back
Top Bottom