Closer Look at Grier's Drafts | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Closer Look at Grier's Drafts

I’ll take the 2020 draft out of the equation, and say in 4 drafts, not a single star was drafted and retained.

Gesicki may be trending that direction. Howard had one season where he looked like he reached that level. Tunsil and Firzpatrick are very good players, but they’re gone and I would not yet call them stars.

I would like a GM that would pick better players.

Every team would like a GM that would pick better players.

I don't know who to bring in that would pick better players.

Profit.
I don't know if Grier is the guy, but I give him credit for bringing in some good people to help him out. That's the sign of someone who doesn't have a huge ego and just wants to get the job done. Some people are afraid to surround themselves with talented people.

The draft is just roll of dice. There no guarantee Tua is going panout either. Draft is luck..players get paid and dont want play football anymore. Some play long time some dont. Injury plays big part as well.

2017 is an F draft IMO.

Also, last years draft is looking like at best it might be a C and that’s if we get a couple above average starters out of it.

2020 had better be an A as in 2-3 studs on the O-line, a playmaker or 2 on D and a great QB. Otherwise his overall drafting 2016 - 2020 is at best a C - and that’s not going to get you anything other than “C” results - 8-8 at best.

It doesn't matter how Drake or Fitzpatrick or other players perform on teams outside of the Dolphins. A good draft pick is a player who performs well for the team that drafted them or at least contribute to the team that drafted them. The Tampa Bay Bucs GM doesn't get credit for drafting HOF QB Steve Young, Bill Walsh gets credit for trading for him and developing him.

A lot of those players are no longer on the Dolphins and that is the sign of bad drafting.
Well, that kind of speaks to coaching. Dolphin coaches apparently didn't utilize Minkah Fitzpatrick well, though most fans here thought he could be a star. He sure looks like a star in Pittsburgh. I guess Miami ended up with Austin Jackson for Fitzpatrick so we'll see how that goes. Tunsil is a top 5 LT in the league and Grier draft him and then traded him when the offer seems too big to turn down. Again, have to see how that one plays out.

You raise a valid point, though. A lot of it isn't just the scouts and the GM, but working in unison with the coaches. We've had a lot of coaches here who couldn't develop talent. Joe Philibin comes to mind. That hurts any GM.

It doesn't matter how Drake or Fitzpatrick or other players perform on teams outside of the Dolphins. A good draft pick is a player who performs well for the team that drafted them or at least contributes to the team that drafted them. The Tampa Bay Bucs GM doesn't get credit for drafting HOF QB Steve Young, Bill Walsh gets credit for trading for him and developing him.

A lot of those players are no longer on the Dolphins and that is the sign of bad drafting.
totally agree. The fact is that his draft have no produced a winner here in Miami

2017 is an F draft IMO.

Also, last years draft is looking like at best it might be a C and that’s if we get a couple above average starters out of it.

2020 had better be an A as in 2-3 studs on the O-line, a playmaker or 2 on D and a great QB. Otherwise his overall drafting 2016 - 2020 is at best a C - and that’s not going to get you anything other than “C” results - 8-8 at best.
Well, 2017 was definitely bad. Godchaux was the best from that class and I think he's an average starter. Ford is starting to come on, but his upside is probably a #4 wide receiver. Agree, 2020 has to hit big. If Tua is as advertised, this could actually end up as one of the Dolphins best draft classes.

Well, that kind of speaks to coaching. Dolphin coaches apparently didn't utilize Minkah Fitzpatrick well, though most fans here thought he could be a star. He sure looks like a star in Pittsburgh. I guess Miami ended up with Austin Jackson for Fitzpatrick so we'll see how that goes. Tunsil is a top 5 LT in the league and Grier draft him and then traded him when the offer seems too big to turn down. Again, have to see how that one plays out.

You raise a valid point, though. A lot of it isn't just the scouts and the GM, but working in unison with the coaches. We've had a lot of coaches here who couldn't develop talent. Joe Philibin comes to mind. That hurts any GM.
but the HC you're talking about was hired by Grier.

Minkah made the pro bowl off of 5 games. Loved him here but how many times can you beat a dead horse? Now he wants to be a jack of all trades in Pittsburgh? He didn't want to be here. Good riddance. He's played 100% of the snaps on defense this year with 6 tackles solo. He'd fit right in here.

It doesn't matter how Drake or Fitzpatrick or other players perform on teams outside of the Dolphins. A good draft pick is a player who performs well for the team that drafted them or at least contributes to the team that drafted them. The Tampa Bay Bucs GM doesn't get credit for drafting HOF QB Steve Young, Bill Walsh gets credit for trading for him and developing him.

I'm confused. Miami drafted good players who were traded which means it was a bad draft pick? I don't understand.

I saw a thread about getting rid of Grier and wanted to do a deeper dive on his time as Miami's GM. My concentration is entirely on the draft, as that is the lifeline of the team.

First Draft 2016

1. Laremy Tunsil LT
2. Xavien Howard CB
3. Kenyan Drake RB
3. Leonte Carroo Wr
6. Jakeem Grant Wr
6. Jordan Lucas Cb
7. Brandon Doughty Qb
7. Thomas Duarte TE

Tunsil and Howard (who Grier traded up for) were absolute home runs. Drake has been up and down, but showed with the Cardinals what he can do with a competent offensive line. Grant is probably on his last legs with Miami, but has flashed big-play ability. Miami traded up for Carroo and he didn't pan out. Lucas was a contributor for several years. Overall, I'd give this draft an A/A-.

2017 Draft

1. Charles Harris DE
2. Raekwon McMillan LB
3. Cordrea Tankersley CB
5. Isaac Asiata OG
5. Davon Godchaux DT
6. Vincent Taylor NT
7. Isaiah Ford Wr.

Harris was a bust and TJ Watt was still on the board. McMillan was a two-down run stopper. Tankersley had a decent rookie campaign and is currently on the taxi squad. Godchaux is a decent starter, while Ford is coming along. Overall, this is probably a D draft.

2018 Draft

1. Minkah Fitzpatrick S
2. Mike Gesicki TE
3. Jerome Baker LB
4. Durham Smythe TE
4. Kalen Ballage RB
6. Cornell Armstrong CB
7. Quintin Polling LB
7. Jason Sanders K

Fitzpatrick didn't fit in Miami, but he looks like a top-tier player in Pittsburgh. Gesicki is coming on strong, looking the part of a top 10 tight end. Baker is a playmaker, but somewhat inconsistent. Sanders has been a nice 7th round add. Overall, I'd say this is a B/B+ draft.

2019 Draft

1. Christian Wilkins DT
3. Michael Deiter OG
5. Andrew Van Ginkel LB
6. Isaiah Prince RT
7. Chandler Cox FB
7. Myles Gaskin RB

Too early to grade, but looks pretty average. Wilkins is solid. Deiter is probably a backup. Gaskin is coming on.

2020 Draft

1. Tua Tagavailoa Qb
1. Austin Jackson Ot
1. Noah Igbinoghene Cb
2. Robert Hunt Ot/Og
2. Raekwon Davis Dt/De
3. Brandon Jones S
4. Solomon Kindley OG
5. Curtis Weaver De/Olb
5. Jason Strowbridge De
6. Blake Ferguson Ls
7. Malcom Perry Wr.

The early returns on the 2020 draft look impressive. Jackson, Igbinoghene, Kindley and Jones are all starting. Kindley has been outstanding. Of course, the Tua pick could determine this draft and most expect he will be a top quarterback. Grier didn't trade up to get him, which played out well for Miami. Too early to grade, but has potential to be an A draft.
I think you're being way to generous with those grades. The only thing that matters is how good those players play for us and so far he's drafted zero All Pro players, 2 or 3 good players(or role players) and a bunch of bad ones. Yes, Tua (who just fell on his lap) will have to be amazing to cover up for all the blunders grier has done.

but the HC you're talking about was hired by Grier.
That is true. I actually thought Minkah Fitzpatrick would be a perfect fit under Brian Flores and the "multiple" defensives that he has continued to stress. That was a surprise for me. Don't know yet if that's a red flag with Flores or not.

I'm confused. Miami drafted good players who were traded which means it was a bad draft pick? I don't understand.
well, what that'd mean is that even if they were good players they were not a good fit for us so pretty much the wrong player for OUR team was drafted.

No team is better than others at selecting draft picks. The difference in my opinion, comes in the player development area. That's where I feel teams separate themselves from others.

Some teams and GM's get on hot streaks, just like any other sports franchise. Where just about everything they do is golden.

Until recently, Grier wasn't in complete charge, even when we were lead to believe he was by his title. I think Grier and Flores get at least 2 more years, once Tua takes over as the starting QB.

They've seem to have drafted well, with regards to the 2020 draft class. 2 starters along the Offensive Line and 2 contributors in the secondary, ain't so bad. Along with a starting Snappa!!! All while the New Franchise QB sits and learns, while his protectors gain valuable experience.

If they somehow get Hunt into the mix, this draft class Could be Epic. Time will tell. But if things don't start changing for the better in 2021. I'm all for Firing the Whole F/O.

I don't buy that either. Tunsil, M. Fitzpatrick are quality players that Grier drafted. I think he gets credit for that.

At the same time, I get the "bottom line" thinkers. At the end of the day, if it comes down to wins and losses, Miami simply hasn't been successful over the last five years. That is a valid point.

Back
Top Bottom