Clyde Gates may lose his roster spot in Miami | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Clyde Gates may lose his roster spot in Miami

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
clydegatespic-1.jpg
Getty Images
Disappointing holdover players frequently feel the squeeze when new regimes take over organizations. Dolphins wide receiver Clyde Gates was drafted by returning G.M. Jeff Ireland, but he struggled as a fourth-round rookie out of Abilene Christian last year, and Miami underwent a coaching staff makeover this offseason.
Read more:http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/07/05/clyde-gates-may-lose-his-roster-spot-in-miami/

I didn't even hear his name on any ota report. yeah he's on shaky ground.

[h=2]Chad Johnson’s arrival could leave Clyde Gates as odd man out[/h] July 5th, 2012 by Brian Biggane Fourth of July was a memorable day for the former Chad Ochocinco, who changed his name back to Chad Johnson on the same day he wed the former Evelyn Lozada in an evening ceremony on Miami Beach.
In the next couple of months we’ll see whether there are more memorable days ahead for the newest Dolphin or if, as some have claimed, last year’s forgettable season in New England demonstrated that he’s no longer got it.
With a receiver corps that otherwise goes only two deep in terms of any semblance of NFL experience _ Brian Hartline and Davone Bess _ it would be a big surprise if Ochocinco fails to prove himself worthy of making the 53-man roster. With that in mind, here’s a question: Which other receiver is likely to be most challenged by his addition?
Read more: http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/thedailydolphin/

we drafted him knowing his route running needed help and it would take atleast a year or two to catch up to the NFL coming from Abilene. It is tough to give up on player like this given his speed, but with the cluster**** of WRs we have on the back end in Moore, Wallace, Pruitt, Mathews and Cunningham fighting for one or two spots (assuming Harltine, Bess, Ocho, Naane are givens)it isnt hard to see him as a camp casualty.

I would personally like to see Naane cut in favor of one of the youngsters if they show improvement in this system come training camp.

we drafted him knowing his route running needed help and it would take atleast a year or two to catch up to the NFL coming from Abilene. It is tough to give up on player like this given his speed, but with the cluster**** of WRs we have on the back end in Moore, Wallace, Pruitt, Mathews, Cunningham, it isnt hard to see him as a camp casualty.

Typically, I completely agree with you and I love that you have that attitude. FAR too often you will see fans say "Oh he's a prospect, going to have to mold him into X!" and then when you don't see immediate dividends everyone declares him a bust, but with Gates he has shown absolutely nothing. A good example of this would be Charles Clay. Clay was a pure prospect. Late round pick, man without a true position, and a guy who was intriguing. What did he do in 2011? Did he come on the scene and break out for 600 yards and 5 TDs? No, but what he did was show flashes of his potential... flashes that gave you affirmation of your faith.

What has Gates done? I just don't understand the blind love for the guy. He has good speed, yes, but he's hardly some type of technician who is the victim of poor coaching/roster bloat like Jones in Green Bay. Gates is all physical and not a whole lot of fundamentals. I really like our WR coaching staff, and I think that Chad Johnson being on the team will help as he is ALWAYS willing to assist younger players, but at this point I'm not sure what to say about Gates except... I'm glad they found his injury and fixed it. Maybe we will see some of that 4.30 speed we drafted.

That last part may sound like a joke or jab, but in reality, if he DOES gain a bit of speed, the guy is an absolute terror on KR. He did a more than adequate job last season and with a twitch more of speed, I can see a lot more 30-40 yard returns which is pretty important in an offense like ours.

we drafted him knowing his route running needed help and it would take atleast a year or two to catch up to the NFL coming from Abilene. It is tough to give up on player like this given his speed, but with the cluster**** of WRs we have on the back end in Moore, Wallace, Pruitt, Mathews and Cunningham fighting for one or two spots (assuming Harltine, Bess, Ocho, Naane are givens)it isnt hard to see him as a camp casualty.

I would personally like to see Naane cut in favor of one of the youngsters if they show improvement in this system come training camp.

I see MOORE/PRUITT/WALLACE as more likely to be cut than GATES. Those 3 have shown nothing but "glimpses", and it's about time for them to show A LOT more. GATES has noticeably more speed, which can't be ignored, and unless MOORE, WALLACE and PRUITT show something significant, they are each history. As to CUNNINGHAM, no team needs a slow, pass-dropping WR. NANNEE is a "hope-and-a-prayer" journeyman, who has been insignificant everywhere else. MATTHEWS is, i/m/o, the best of them all, but he's a Rookie; and GATES has more "upside" than any of them. As far as I can see, you've got 4 WRs on that list who are more cuttable than GATES (NANNEE is the 5th, a "maybe"). I agree that BESS and HARTLINE are staying, and that OCHO probably isn't out of gas, and will make the team. I feel that MIAMI should carry 6 WRs, so I doubt that GATES gets cut,...UNLESS MANY of the other potential WR "cuttees" show up bigtime when the "underwear" comes off and the "pads" go on, and there's for-real hitting.

That has a heck of a lot more chance of happening than Anthony Fasano getting cut.

However, in the end, I don't think Jeff Ireland will do it. He's too partial to his picks and he really liked the Clyde Gates pick. So did I.

LOL @ Bess getting cut.

But Wallace will be kept before Gates.

Hell Wallace may be our #1 before season ends

I see MOORE/PRUITT/WALLACE as more likely to be cut than GATES. Those 3 have shown nothing but "glimpses", and it's about time for them to show A LOT more. GATES has noticeably more speed, which can't be ignored, and unless MOORE, WALLACE and PRUITT show something significant, they are each history. As to CUNNINGHAM, no team needs a slow, pass-dropping WR. NANNEE is a "hope-and-a-prayer" journeyman, who has been insignificant everywhere else. MATTHEWS is, i/m/o, the best of them all, but he's a Rookie; and GATES has more "upside" than any of them. As far as I can see, you've got 4 WRs on that list who are more cuttable than GATES (NANNEE is the 5th, a "maybe"). I agree that BESS and HARTLINE are staying, and that OCHO probably isn't out of gas, and will make the team. I feel that MIAMI should carry 6 WRs, so I doubt that GATES gets cut,...UNLESS MANY of the other potential WR "cuttees" show up bigtime when the "underwear" comes off and the "pads" go on, and there's for-real hitting.

We will have to see how they look come camp. The new offense helps players like Wallace who has been in a WCO and hurts players like Gates who has a giant weakness in his route running. I have seen a lot of good talk about Wallace the players, more than past camps and believe he gets a spot. Both Wallace and Moore have been solid on special teams, but dont give that return-man ability like Gates does. it will be a tough call between Gates/Pruitt/Moore.

I like Matthews also but see him put on the practice squad and given time to develop. I agree with you on Cunningham. A lot of pre draft talk was about how well he catches the ball, but he has had trouble with drops here.

Regardless, i see Bush spread out wide more than whoever the 5th or 6th WRs are

If Garrard is the starter, I think Wallace might be the # 1/Go to guy since apparently there is no # 1 receivers in this offense.

Back
Top Bottom