Clyde Gates may lose his roster spot in Miami | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Clyde Gates may lose his roster spot in Miami

I wish I knew, aside from his rumored triangle numbers (height/weight/speed), where in the world this kind of optimism about Roberto Wallace is coming from. He's done nothing to warrant it, and the camp reports about him are far from consensus, some reports are glowing, some are blah, nothing consistent whatsoever.
I beleive David Gerard made some comment about Wallace that has everyones hopes up.

Oh well, the Olympics are this year. Maybe he can run in the 200m dash.

I'd keep him just because of the speed and ability to catch the ball. As a coach, I would have to feel like I can get him a clean release if that's what he needs, but he doesn't just have 4.5 speed, doesn't just have 4.4 speed, he's got 4.3 speed. On the basketball court, not every player needs to be the kind that can create his own shot.

I'd keep him just because of the speed and ability to catch the ball. As a coach, I would have to feel like I can get him a clean release if that's what he needs, but he doesn't just have 4.5 speed, doesn't just have 4.4 speed, he's got 4.3 speed. On the basketball court, not every player needs to be the kind that can create his own shot.

I'm completely in agreement with you on this. I seriously doubts he gets release this season, now ofcourse if he shows nothing this year? then next season is likely his last.

I give Gates as well as Thomas and Clay a semi bye for last season due to injuries. Their rookie seasons were stunted because of it. I expect all three of them to have much better seasons this year.

With someone as fast as Gates is, you figure out how to get him into the field. He ran a lot of reverses, WR screens etc in college but we did not try any. I mean really, anyone remember Ted Ginn? Was Ginn a decent router runner? Nope, he was simply very fast.

Question, what allowed Ted Ginn jr to beat Revis for a long touchdown bomb? Answer, speed.

As far as this season, I think the coaches are working the 4 WRs that have to play or go this year. And it has only been a few days of OTA's.

However, if Gates nails the return job he is in no matter what.

One problem seemed to be that our QBs underthrow Gates so often. To get a good long ball from Henne or Moore was rare anyway. Remembering last season another reason it was hard to hit him long was our poor OL, it was hard to sit in that pocket.

Moore was actually pretty competent with the deep ball last year.

Also, this surprised even me, but Bess had his best years outside of the slot, actually going wide.

That has a heck of a lot more chance of happening than Anthony Fasano getting cut.

However, in the end, I don't think Jeff Ireland will do it. He's too partial to his picks and he really liked the Clyde Gates pick. So did I.

Jeff Ireland also probably likes his Cunningham and Matthews draft picks from this year, as well. Gates has an opportunity to light it up in training camp, but an ordinary performance, irrespective of natural speed, will make him hard to keep. He is also 26, it's not like he started at just 22. (In comparison, Vontae Davis and Sean Smith both have 3 seasons NFL experience and are both only 24).

Last edited by a moderator:
Jeff Ireland also probably likes his Cunningham and Matthews draft picks from this year, as well. Gates has an opportunity to light it up in training camp, but an ordinary performance, irrespective of natural speed, will make him hard to keep. He is also 26, it's not like he started at just 22. (In comparison, Vontae Davis and Sean Smith both have 3 seasons NFL experience and are both only 24).

He picked Gates with a 4th rounder. That is widely considered the last of the significant picks before a big drop-off in the 5th to 7th rounds. Also the chances are pretty good that between Matthews and Cunningham, one of those guys was not precisely a Jeff Ireland guy...whether it was a gift for a certain scout that pounded the table, or a coach. I'm guessing Rishard Matthews was more Jeff Ireland than B.J. Cunningham. Gates however was all Ireland. He's spoken very highly of that pick several times. Much like when he picked Isaiah Stanback in Dallas.

I think Gates sticks for another year.

I have not read a single post in this buttt, He didnt really do anything that would warrant him a secured spot, he caught like 6 passes and was absolutely abysmal on kick return.

His statistics throwing deep were very good. I know, I know, it's fun to have a scapegoat, but Moore threw a nice deep ball. It's ridiculous to claim otherwise. Gates was NOT a victim of Matt Moore. Come on now.

In terms of yards per pass, ball actually in the air, Matt Moore was the 4th most efficient quarterback last season (in a minimum of 100 passes). He was 4th in deep pass percentage.

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/06/29/three-years-of-deep-passing/
http://www.advancednflstats.com/2012/01/air-yards-2011.html

Gates didn't have a chance to compete last season, or make any plays because of where the ball was at. give the man a break, you guys pull out all of the stats but his success depends how accurate the QB is.

---------- Post added at 07:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:34 AM ----------

Bess is a keeper, that was not an intelligent accessment.

Back
Top Bottom