Clyde Gates may lose his roster spot in Miami | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Clyde Gates may lose his roster spot in Miami

moore did throw a nice and well placed deep ball...his problem and its gonna hurt him in this o is he missed too many throws underneath with clean pockets and no pressure in his legs...throws he should make...that and he can hold onto the ball too long and take drive and game changing sacks at the most inopportune times...

he's got that same nasty takes bad sacks trait that tavaris jackson seems to have the patent on...

I don't think you can have absolutely no one in your WR corps with elite speed. I think you have to have somebody you can bring out there who gets the safties' attention, even if it's just for the sake of opening other things up.

Now, if the team can land someone else who has that kind of speed, Gates may indeed be gone, but I don't think we're going to leave ourselves without any player of that type.

Matt Moore's deep ball was nothing special, we're just not used to even a semi-accurate deep ball because Chad Henne has been our quarterback. Pennington's deep ball was better than both.

Matt Moore's deep ball was nothing special, we're just not used to even a semi-accurate deep ball because Chad Henne has been our quarterback. Pennington's deep ball was better than both.

while i would agree with the henne deep ball was awful accuracy wise i would disagree with penny having a better deep ball than matt moore...penny underthrew guys all over the place when he went deep...they just came back to the ball...a lot of dead quails

that said moore probably did look better than normal fresh off hennes struggles in that regard

Bull$hit. PENNINGTON's deep ball was a lollipop. I remember HARTLINE beating his man cold off of a double-move, and being 15 or so yards ahead of him down the right sideline. PENNINGTON's ball was a hanging lollipop, and HARTLINE had to slow down to almost a walk to catch it around the 25 yard line...then start running again after the catch. That beaten CB caught him at the 12 or 13, for a 58 Yard gain. But any QB w/half an arm would've hit HARTLINE in stride, and it's an easy TD. THAT told me all I wanted to know as to PENNINGTON. W/40-45 yards as the outer limits as to his deep ball, I KNEW that it was just a matter of time...until the S's cheat, and the CBs do likewise to an extent, and PENNINGTON's "dink-and-dunk", popgun "O" got flushed down the toilet...like the RAVENS did to us more than once, including the Playoffs.

Your contention is inane, as to PENNINGTON at least. PENNINGTON's deep ball wasn't really a deep ball at all, and certainly caused no problems for anyone good. Don't bother quoting "stats". "Stats", w/o context, are d*(k, and can say whatever you want them to say. Remembering that HARTLINE play is A LOT MORE RELEVANT. QE freakin' D.

while i would agree with the henne deep ball was awful accuracy wise i would disagree with penny having a better deep ball than matt moore...penny underthrew guys all over the place when he went deep...they just came back to the ball...a lot of dead quails

that said moore probably did look better than normal fresh off hennes struggles in that regard

MOORE's deep ball was good enough to make even B MARSHALL a threat on a deep route. We all saw it: why is it still being questioned??? After all...MARSHALL as a DEEP threat? And didn't he even hit BESS over very good coverage for a 45 Yard TD? "BESS, deep????", you might say? To which the correct response i/m/o is "YEAH, BESS DEEP, geniuses". There's nothing wrong w/MOORE's "game" that eliminating the COLUMBO-CAREY farce, the stench of "PARCELLSBALL", and an unready HC doesn't cure in that proverbial "New York minute".

It's sad we just can't seem to find a deep threat WR

Begs the question. MOORE showed everyone that B MARSHALL and BESS could even be effective deep. And PENNINGTON showed us that NO ONE will be effective deep w/a noodle-armed QB. I/m/o, your statement is a cop-out at best. Place the blame where it belongs. (a) PENNINGTON didn't have enough arm; and (b) PARCELLSBALL doesn't exactly feature the deep routes. A deep game, like anything else in football, requires practice "reps"...something which we haven't had here in MIAMI for too long.

Begs the question. MOORE showed everyone that B MARSHALL and BESS could even be effective deep. And PENNINGTON showed us that NO ONE will be effective deep w/a noodle-armed QB. I/m/o, your statement is a cop-out at best. Place the blame where it belongs. (a) PENNINGTON didn't have enough arm; and (b) PARCELLSBALL doesn't exactly feature the deep routes. A deep game, like anything else in football, requires practice "reps"...something which we haven't had here in MIAMI for too long.

Stats completely disagree with you on Pennington's deep ball, just FYI. I know, I know, noodle armed Pennington... was effective throwing the deep ball. He threw 19% of his passes over 20 yards and he was one of the most effective quarterbacks in 2008 when doing so.

So, you're wrong on both counts. Food for thought!

another sorry ass mid round pick, the Ireland special.

He's our ONLY deep threat. It's too bad he most likely won't get the chance to put it together.

Ocho, Bess, Hartline, Wallace and Naanee is most likely going to be the final lineup. Leaves Matthews, BJ, Moore, Pruitt, Fuller and Gates.

Gates, Fuller and Pruitt are the weak links imo.

I do not consider 20 yards a long pass. I'm talking 40 plus yards.

It is a given that Moore did not have a full season of stats, but he only had 6 passes over 40 yards, which tied him with Tebow and Grossman. And he only had 38 passes over 20 yards.

But I do not give all the blame to Matt Moore for this. He has a good arm, not really strong but good enough.

Maybe our biggest problem was our lack of top speed at the WR position. We had no one besides Gates who we could line up and ask to beat his defender deep. And Gates was not at full speed. Last season it has to be factored in that Gates, Thomas and Clay were playing injured. (Thomas did not play for a couple of games then ran well for a couple of games but then seemed like he had either wore down or had slightly tweeted his hamstring again. Clay could not really run until the later part of last season.)

The other big reason for our poor long passing game was the poor pass protecting of our OL. Ours OL last season was called a "turnstile" at RT. A QB needs to be able to stand in the pocket a little longer to throw longer passes. We did not have that last season.

Last edited by a moderator:
The other big reason for our poor long passing game was the poor pass protecting of our OL. Ours OL last season was called a "turnstile" at RT. A QB needs to be able to stand in the pocket a little longer to throw longer passes. We did not have that last season. If you need prrof of that beside us being almost last in the NFL in giving up sacks, then remember the reason Chad Henne had to have shoulder surgery and was placed on IR.

Technically speaking, the reason Chad Henne had to have shoulder surgery was because Lex Hilliard forgot to take the handoff, so it was a busted play, so Chad Henne ran for a 1 yd gain, and then injured his shoulder when he got mauled by Shaun Phillips.

Back
Top Bottom