Clyde Gates may lose his roster spot in Miami | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Clyde Gates may lose his roster spot in Miami

Technically speaking, the reason Chad Henne had to have shoulder surgery was because Lex Hilliard forgot to take the handoff, so it was a busted play, so Chad Henne ran for a 1 yd gain, and then injured his shoulder when he got mauled by Shaun Phillips.

That play is what, IMO, sealed Hilliard's fate. It was such a complete misstep by him, and while he had made small errors here and there (especially on blocking assignments), a large error was compounded by the injury of the team's starting QB

It is also the play calling. How often does the OC call deep passes? I looked back 10 yards and the Dolphins have been one of the worse teams in completing passes over 40 yards. I remember a lot of us fans complaining when Chambers was here that we did not simply send him out more.

The only season we tried to throw long was the season in 2005 with Gus Frerotte/Chambers/OC Scott Linehan. Interestingly, they were not that good at it. but they kept trying. I remember after the season Frerotte said that Linehan told him and Chambers that he was going to call at least a couple of long bombs a game. Linehan had felted that if nothing else it backed the defense off and Chambers did get a decent amount of PI calls.

I can only remember maybe only several fly patterns thrown to last season. If the OC does not call them, it is hard to run them. As as someone here said in a post, you have to put practice and game reps into long pass throwing. The QB and WR need to work their timing out and the OL needs to be able to block for just a little longer. Running only one plus 40 yard pass per game will not cut it.

Don't forget the many times Henne checked down when a bomb was called because that was what the OC wanted him to do.

Don't forget the many times Henne checked down when a bomb was called because that was what the OC wanted him to do.

Here to me was the really odd thing about that. Chad Henne, a QB in the NFL, checked down from a long bomb to a run.............That showed me just how little faith Chad Henne had in himself. All true QBs want to throw it.

Why would we cut him? We just drafted him last year, he never saw the field last season under our horrible coaching...it would just be a horrible waste of a 4th round pick. The kid can do everything tedd ginn JR did....lol run a reverse once a game with him and put him back for punts. Thats first round value right? lol Unless the kid is a complete moron I see him being a coach-able player. Would honestly prefer to see bess go than gates.

I keep hearing about wallance for what seems like 20 years now....lol the dude is a bum. He couldn't make a roster spot in front of the trash on the roster...time for him to **** or get off the pot. Fact is the only people who know about these players are dolphin fans. they're not as good as you all make them out to be. if it were my team I'd be inclined to keep younger WRs whit the physical talents over proven no shows. Hartline would be the only exception because I do see some upside as maybe a solid number 2 or even a slot/3 guy depending how we run our offense. Hell, to be honest if I signed Garrad I would have traded matt moore for whatever I could have gotten. I don't think you need two back up quarterbacks on the roster when you draft a first round qb. Prob wouldn't have bothered with Garrad even though he's obviously better than moore in just about every way. But hey, it's not my show. I haven't seen an obviously fatal move from this staff yet, just minor things like drafting another RB instead of a WR, a reach on another UM player instead of a WR...both projects at deeper potions on our roster..../rant over

That play is what, IMO, sealed Hilliard's fate. It was such a complete misstep by him, and while he had made small errors here and there (especially on blocking assignments), a large error was compounded by the injury of the team's starting QB

that play did henne in but it was only a matter of time...henne was taking WAY WAY too much contact to survive...remember the damn wilfork steam roll he took...not many guys even get up from that...that's all i can say...

obviosuly henne never got that fair of a shot here but lets also be honest, he didnt really show the needed potential to keep moving foward with him. The NE game was a plus but then we went back to the same tired and true horrible play calling. meet the new OC same as the old OC.

Back
Top Bottom