Coaching Carousel 2016 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Coaching Carousel 2016

Spesh

#freespesh
Reaction score
Figured it be easier to track these things if it was all in one place. Will update this post as more firings happen.

Rams: Jeff Fisher fired.

Bills: Rex Ryan fired.

Jaguars: Gus Bradley fired.

49'ers: Trent Baalke fired. Chip Kelly soon to be fired.

Broncos: Gary Kubiak retires.

Chargers: Mike McCoy fired.

Rumored potential openings include: Colts, Saints, and Lions.

The worst record in Cleveland Browns history will not result in coaching or front-office changes, owner Jimmy Haslam said Sunday.

Haslam made that clear after the Browns fell to 1-15 -- and clinched the first pick in the draft -- with a 27-24 overtime loss to the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Haslam accepted responsibility for the struggles of this and previous seasons.

"Our record as owners is terrible," Haslam said in the tunnels underneath Heinz Field. "But we're not giving up. Has it been fun? No. Is it discouraging at times? Yes. But are we going to give up? No.

"We're more than ever determined to get this right."

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...-says-no-changes-coaching-front-office-staffs

I know nothing has been said yet, but Marvin Lewis has to be at least somewhat nervous. Another meh year for him. A lot of turnover this year in the NFL.

I see McCoy going back to Denver and maybe taking over as HC because of the Kubiak retirement.

Is Kubiak confirmed?

Yup. He informed the locker room after the game and scheduled a press conference for tomorrow.

Some Broncos players are said to be whispering that they expect Wade Phillips to follow him out.

---------- Post added at 10:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:48 PM ----------

I know nothing has been said yet, but Marvin Lewis has to be at least somewhat nervous. Another meh year for him. A lot of turnover this year in the NFL.

Good call, forgot about Lewis. While i think hes safe if he wants to return, there was talk of him being burned out on the coaching aspect and moving into the front office.

Man. These teams said **** black monday, get your ass out today!

Why are the Lions a potential opening?

Lost 2 in a row. If that extends to 4 straight then Caldwell might eat it.

Recall they hired a new GM last season who worked for the Patriots. Out of respect to the owner he held back on hiring a new coach last season, but if i recall correctly hes said to be enamored with Matt Patricia. Both Patricia and Josh McDaniels are bound to get some phone calls this offseason, so it might be Quinn's last chance to get one of his guys.

Lost 2 in a row. If that extends to 4 straight then Caldwell might eat it.

Recall they hired a new GM last season who worked for the Patriots. Out of respect to the owner he held back on hiring a new coach last season, but if i recall correctly hes said to be enamored with Matt Patricia. Both Patricia and Josh McDaniels are bound to get some phone calls this offseason, so it might be Quinn's last chance to get one of his guys.

I think that GM would be hard pressed to fire a coach after their team made the playoffs.

I was browsing a Bengals forum and apparently Marv already confirmed he'll be back. Bengal fans seem to hate Marv but love Dalton, and a lot seem to agree if Dalton had gone to Houston they would be Super Bowl contenders. Bengal fans are cray-cray.

I was browsing a Bengals forum and apparently Marv already confirmed he'll be back. Bengal fans seem to hate Marv but love Dalton, and a lot seem to agree if Dalton had gone to Houston they would be Super Bowl contenders. Bengal fans are cray-cray.

I think the Bengals owner really likes Lewis, but that team had a rough year. I expect him to get one more shot and if not successful, he will be gone.

---------- Post added at 08:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:41 AM ----------

I think that GM would be hard pressed to fire a coach after their team made the playoffs.

yeah, I don't see this at all. Lions have had a solid year.

This was before the Packers game, but:

Q: Does Caldwell keep his job if the Lions miss the playoffs? -- Adin Kram

A: No idea. Nobody does outside of Bob Quinn, and this might surprise you, but I'm not Bob Quinn.

On the one hand, Jim Caldwell is the Lions' winningest Lions of the Super Bowl era. He matched a franchise record for wins by a first-year coach in 2014, and took a thin roster to the brink of a division title in 2016. And players clearly love him and respond to his coaching. Just look at the way they rallied around him in 2015. The way they rallied for all those comebacks this year.

That doesn't happen everywhere. Just look in Minnesota. A lot of Lions fans would probably prefer Mike Zimmer, yet his team just fell apart, and his secondary mutinied against him.

So there's stability in Caldwell, and a known commodity to build around.

The flip side, though, is whether Quinn believes Caldwell is the right man to take the Lions from good to great. There was the first-half collapse last season, then what can only be viewed as a collapse this season if the Lions lose against Green Bay.

They were the conference's No. 2 seed with three games to play, and had a two-game lead in the division. Then they lost two in a row. Dropping a third, and missing the playoffs after all that, could be too much for Caldwell to overcome. Especially when the man making the call spent nearly two decades working with Bill Belichick.

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2016/12/ask_kyle_on_the_future_of_jim.html

Cases for and against Jim Caldwell as his job security is in question again

http://www.espn.com/blog/detroit-li...uses-as-his-job-security-is-in-question-again

Jim Caldwell: 'Job questions come no matter what'

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...im-caldwell-job-questions-come-no-matter-what

Backing into the playoffs because another team choked might not be good enough. Not after sitting at 9-4 and looking at a first round bye. Not for an executive who hasn't had to even think about wildcard berths in years.

Caldwell is a known commodity. He isn't a relative unknown like Gase. What you see is what you get. If they bomb against the Seahawks (probable) then i wont be surprised if Quinn says hes seen enough and goes with those he worked with previously.

Back
Top Bottom