Coaching Carousel 2016 | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Coaching Carousel 2016

While not for HC gig, is coaching spot, adds extra layer of LOL @ Jets, and I thought teams couldn't deny promotion interviews or is that just something along lines of can't deny HC promotion interview?

From Adam Schefter:
Eagles denied Jets permission to interview their QB coach John DeFilippo for offensive coordinator job, per league source.

The puff of white smoke may never be wafting from the chimney, after all.

The news that coach Chuck Pagano and G.M. Ryan Grigson will return to the Colts in 2017 has emerged not from a Jim Irsay tweet but a flurry of leaks to multiple reporters. Until Irsay says it, I’m not going to completely believe it.

Then again, maybe Irsay will never say it. Maybe the institutional attitude will be, “Why do we need to say anything? Pagano was and still is the coach and Grigson was and still is the G.M.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/01/06/ryan-grigson-reportedly-will-be-back-too/

Keeping both is the epitome of idiocy. Jacksonville and Tennessee have the potential to be really good for a really long time, the Colts don't have time to spin the tires.

---------- Post added at 11:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:00 AM ----------

While not for HC gig, is coaching spot, adds extra layer of LOL @ Jets, and I thought teams couldn't deny promotion interviews or is that just something along lines of can't deny HC promotion interview?

From Adam Schefter:

The latter is correct. Teams can block interviews for coordinator positions but not head coaching openings.

The Bills closed out the regular season with an interim head coach in Anthony Lynn and a new starting quarterback in EJ Manuel.

Manuel replaced Tyrod Taylor in what Lynn described as a “business decision” made by others in the organization. Lynn interviewed for the permanent head coaching position in Buffalo last week and Ian Rapoport of NFL Media reports that owners Terry and Kim Pegula “expressed remorse” for forcing a quarterback change on Lynn in Week 17.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-to-anthony-lynn-about-tyrod-taylor-benching/

I'm starting to understand why the Bills were ranked so low in job attractiveness. :lol:

The way Ray Horton has been treated the last few years has been complete bull****. He was damned good for the Cardinals (and as a Steelers position coach), that team falling apart had everything to do with Ken Whisenhunt's quarterback disaster. He joins a Browns team only to watch their owner backstab Chudzinski. He reunites with his old coach in Tennessee after Whisenhunt lands a fully guaranteed deal and, after Lebeau surprisingly leaves Pitt, agrees to cede some power to benefit the team. That 5 year deal Whisenhunt signed ended up being 23 games and Horton is left adrift again. He returns to Cleveland only to watch the front office purge the roster of the little remaining talent it had.
Perhaps theres something we don't know. Perhaps hes a raging asshole. But from the outside looking in hes been screwed by factors that had absolutely nothing to do with the job hes done. I suppose i could slap him on the wrist for trusting Cleveland twice but both jobs came with the promise of patience from the owner. Such a damn shame to watch a good coach have his career shatter around him.

Doug Marrone gets the Jags job then :idk: I always thought he might have a shot. Can't be worse than Mike Smith

I'm very curious to see how Marrone does. He was in the minority (read: maybe the only person) who was serious about wanting Marrone last offseason. I'm glad they didn't listen to me as I wanted an experienced HC to take over. But all reports indicate Marrone is well liked in the locker room, and the team played really hard for him weeks 16 and 17.

@RapSheet: The #Jaguars aren’t done. They are hiring Tom Coughlin as an executive, source says. He interviewed as a coach, staying as exec.

I still think he is too old, but i suppose it doesnt really matter if he is just babysitting the gm

@RapSheet: What have the #Jaguars done? Tom Coughlin is EVP. Marrone is head coach. GM Dave Caldwell extended. All through 2019.

@viccarucci: #Bills are zeroed in on Sean McDermott as their next HC. Could have something finalized in the next day or so.

I'm very curious to see how Marrone does. He was in the minority (read: maybe the only person) who was serious about wanting Marrone last offseason. I'm glad they didn't listen to me as I wanted an experienced HC to take over. But all reports indicate Marrone is well liked in the locker room, and the team played really hard for him weeks 16 and 17.

I can't say I wanted him here, but I think he is a good coach.

I think that, especially with the benefit of hindsight, you can see that Marrone did a pretty good job overall in Buffalo. I can't imagine Jacksonville was going to find someone better than him who would actually take that job. Everybody's going to talk about Blake Bortles -- and he's bad -- but that team in that division can survive and win with him until they can find someone better.

I don't necessarily view these jobs as a question of who the quarterback is, but what the ownership, GM, and overall talent level of the team look like. The division the team plays in has to factor in as well, which makes that Rams job a lot less appealing than it could be.

The Bills actually look like the team that has the best pieces outside of the Broncos, but then there is the bad ownership situation, the bad front office situation, and the fact that it's Buffalo. That they're zeroed in on a guy who has been passed over in every hiring cycle for what seems like 15 years tells you everything, I think. #1 qualification for that job is that you have to be willing to accept it.

I think that, especially with the benefit of hindsight, you can see that Marrone did a pretty good job overall in Buffalo. I can't imagine Jacksonville was going to find someone better than him who would actually take that job. Everybody's going to talk about Blake Bortles -- and he's bad -- but that team in that division can survive and win with him until they can find someone better.

I don't necessarily view these jobs as a question of who the quarterback is, but what the ownership, GM, and overall talent level of the team look like. The division the team plays in has to factor in as well, which makes that Rams job a lot less appealing than it could be.

The Bills actually look like the team that has the best pieces outside of the Broncos, but then there is the bad ownership situation, the bad front office situation, and the fact that it's Buffalo. That they're zeroed in on a guy who has been passed over in every hiring cycle for what seems like 15 years tells you everything, I think. #1 qualification for that job is that you have to be willing to accept it.

I actually think a McDermott HC and McCoy OC hiring would be a great get for them. I wanted McDermott. But that FO can just as easily mess it all up anyway.

I would imagine that McCoy would rather follow Joseph to Denver than mcDermott to Buff if he gets the choice

The Buffalo Bills ended their latest head-coaching search on Wednesday, agreeing to hire Carolina Panthers defensive coordinator Sean McDermott to succeed the fired Rex Ryan.

McDermott, 42, was one of four coaches to interview for the Bills' vacancy, along with interim coach Anthony Lynn, Arizona Cardinals offensive coordinator Harold Goodwin and Seattle Seahawks defensive coordinator Kris Richard.

McDermott had interviewed for a second time with Buffalo ownership on Wednesday in Boca Raton, Florida.

"We believe we have hired a smart, determined and hard-working head coach who has been training for many years to achieve this goal," Bills co-owner Terry Pegula said in a statement. "Sean is an ambitious leader who has the desire to lead this organization to compete for and ultimately win a Super Bowl. We look forward to working with Sean for many years to come."

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18453441/buffalo-bills-agree-hire-sean-mcdermott-head-coach

Mother****er!

They just got a damn good coach. If they get a real quarterback we might have some competition.

Michael Silver ‏@MikeSilver
If McCoy does not come with McDermott to Bills, I'm told by coaching sources Norv Turner could be in play...

Back
Top Bottom