Colin Cowherd said Fins to go 7-9 this year | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Colin Cowherd said Fins to go 7-9 this year

You have your reality (you've made that quite obvious, repetitively), and I have mine. We'll see how it works out.

Neither of ours is reality as of yet. All Im saying is that its a three way competition and not one of these qb's have established themselves so its farfrom the realm of possibility that Henne could beat out a second year player who many say got no coaching last year (I dont buy it but I dont know everything like some others think they do, not you) and a guy that has bounced around the league. They are running a new offense so Henne is not as disadvantaged as most rookies. I personally think that McCown starts the season and that we will see all three start some games with Henne being the fulltime starter next year. As for me making mine quite obvious repetitively, if there is a discussion I voice my opinion the people that think Beck will be the next coming are just as repititive in thier opinion, its just that many cannot stand that others may have a differant opinion. I dont confuse majority opinion with the right opinion if there can even be that. Henne taking first team snaps already at this point has to point to it being fairly possible he could be the starter.

Neither of ours is reality as of yet. All Im saying is that its a three way competition and not one of these qb's have established themselves so its farfrom the realm of possibility that Henne could beat out a second year player who many say got no coaching last year (I dont buy it but I dont know everything like some others think they do, not you) and a guy that has bounced around the league. They are running a new offense so Henne is not as disadvantaged as most rookies. I personally think that McCown starts the season and that we will see all three start some games with Henne being the fulltime starter next year. As for me making mine quite obvious repetitively, if there is a discussion I voice my opinion the people that think Beck will be the next coming are just as repititive in thier opinion, its just that many cannot stand that others may have a differant opinion. I dont confuse majority opinion with the right opinion if there can even be that. Henne taking first team snaps already at this point has to point to it being fairly possible he could be the starter.
IMO, sometimes your posts come across as though you are rooting for Henne to start so bad that you discredit the other two QB's in an attempt to get your point across. I don't doubt for a minute that you don't believe Beck will ever be a quality QB. Maybe you are just trying to counter the "Beck lovers"? It would seem to me, being a Finfan, that it's in the general best interest of the team if each player turned out to be a good/great player vice one merely outplaying the other two. I don't wish any of them to flop. Perhaps you don't either, but it doesn't come across in your posts.

Agreed. Tuna and company don't subscribe to the theory of throwing the young QB to the wolves. It will be whomever gives us the best chance to win and not waste a season. If Beck is ready then he is ready and if not Hello McCown as starter. The guy who may be sitting for a while is Henne as he may end up being Parcell's project (like Romo). See the correlation;

Simms in NY (eventhough Parcells did not draft him he at least he figured out quickly Scott Bruno was no answer for them)
Bledsoe in NE
Romo in Dallas

And of course with the Slime it was time to go with the proven vet given the situation as that team had more holes than even the Patties in '93 and were recovering from Kotite. Tuna knows what qbs are needed to win.

Parcells has basically very little history with high draft picks as young qb's. He only had one other qb drafted in the first two rounds by his regime and he started him as a rookie. He already had a 25year old 4th round pick that had started 4 games the previous year and a journeyman qb named Scott Secules that he signed as a free agent. Bledsoe started as a rookie.

I dont see the correlation you are referring to. Romo was an undrafted free agent so of course they did not just put him into the starting rotation. I cant think of no undrafted free agent qb's that were being prepared to be a starting qb thier first year. What highly drafted qb's was Bill Parcells having to sit and learn? Comparing Henne being developed like Romo is so far from accurate because Henne has already taken reps with the first team and Romo as a rookie was not even close to that.

Lets look at Parcells history as he started with each team

With the Giants
He started 26 year old Brunner over 29 year old Simms. Had drafted Hofsteller in the third round.

Simms was in the league 4 years to this point
Brunner was in the league 3 years to this point
Neither guy had been impressive to this point. Ao this situation is trult nothing like ours in any way. He did not develop a young guy to be a starter at any point really.

With the Patriots
Drew Bledose was a rookie first round pick
Scott Zolok was a carryover from previous regime that was drafted in 4th round and started 4 games the previous year
Scott Secules was a journeyman backup qb that was now with his thirs team. Not the same as our situation but the one most closely resembling ours. Drew Bledsoe was the starter as a rookie and stayed that way.

With the Jets
Did not draft one young qb

Had holdover free agent Neil O donnel 31 years old
and two lowly regarded younger qb's in Glenn Foley and Ray Lucas.
The following year aquired old war horse Vinnie Testerverde
Then the following year aquired Rich Mirer. So this blue print is so far from our own you might as well just take it out of the conversation. He made no effort to draft a young qb.

With the Cowboys
He aquired a team with two fairly young qb;s in Quincy Carter and Chad Hutchinson. He went with Quincy Carter who started every game his first season in Dallas(Parcells first season). This year they also signed Romo as an undrafted free agent, definately not the normal route to find your future starter, this was not a move that Parcells was thinking hmm I will sit him a few years and he will be my starter lol.

To further my point the next year he traded a third round pick for Drew Henson and signed the ever older Vinnie Testerverde to play qb.Henson actually started the Thankgiving game his rookie year to not so good results. The next season Henson was sent to NFL Europe to work on his game. In 2005 they then aquired Drew Bledsoe to play qb and Henson was beat out by Romo to play backup qb.In 2006 in the fourth game Romo became the starter. The Dallas scenario is nothing like ours and its obvious that Parcells really hoped aned thought that Henson would be his Qb of the future. Romo was not groomed to be a starting qb in the NFL from day one and kind of became that player by hard work and default at one point. So looking at parcells past really doesnt help to sort out our qb situation at all. If we are to look at his history than I guess McCown is the starter this year although his only history of drafting a qb relatively high would point to Henne being the starter. Nothing in his history really suggests that Beck would be his starter although Beck has in reality a good chance to be the starter.

If Parcells does not believe in starting young qb's and does not want to throw them to the wolves so to say then McCown is our starter because Beck is still just a second year qb with limited experience and Henne is a rookie. There are 2 flaws with this arguement though. 1-Sparano is the coach of the team 2- All three qb's have worked with the first team and have been named as being in competition.

IMO, sometimes your posts come across as though you are rooting for Henne to start so bad that you discredit the other two QB's in an attempt to get your point across. I don't doubt for a minute that you don't believe Beck will ever be a quality QB. Maybe you are just trying to counter the "Beck lovers"? It would seem to me, being a Finfan, that it's in the general best interest of the team if each player turned out to be a good/great player vice one merely outplaying the other two. I don't wish any of them to flop. Perhaps you don't either, but it doesn't come across in your posts.

I think thats about perception. I do think Henne is by far the better long term prospect of the three but I would love for all three to do well. Im not a fan of any of our qb's(although my sig does contain the qb I think will be our future starter) Im a dolphin fan. Im not under the myth that Henne was the best prospect in the draft although I like him as a prospect, which is quite the opposite of many that thoroughly proclaimed last year that Beck was a better prospect than the qb's taken before him. I do think Beck will be a quality backup in the NFL. I have never discredited MCCown I think he was a solid pickup and I have not discredited Beck I just think people overestimate his ability because of a qb friendly offense in college versus lesser than top level competition.

Here lies the differance I hope Beck turns out great, I just dont believe it from what I study of him.As a dolphin fan I always want our players to do well. I cant stand Joey Porter as a person but if he plays for us I want him to make as many tackles as possible. Do you think I cheered for Jay Fielder to be a mediocre at best qb? Of course I wanted him to be a good qb but that doesnt mean I did not want my team to try to improve the position.

With the Jets
As GM (but no longer head coach), Parcells took Chad Pennington as one of the Jets' 4 first-round draft picks in the 2000 NFL draft.

As GM (but no longer head coach), Parcells took Chad Pennington as one of the Jets' 4 first-round draft picks in the 2000 NFL draft.

Yea but that was his last year there and really relates little to his history.

Noooo...

It was actually a correction of your inaccurate statement that with the Jets, Parcells, "[d]id not draft one young qb."

He did. Pennington. In the first round in 2000.

Glad I could help straighten this out.

You're welcome.

Noooo...

It was actually a correction of your inaccurate statement that with the Jets, Parcells, "[d]id not draft one young qb."

He did. Pennington. In the first round in 2000.

Glad I could help straighten this out.

You're welcome.

Yea after he quit on the team as coach he was responsible for them drafting Chad Pennington his last year with the team. I was referring to when he took over teams the process hw went through to find thier qb's not what he did in his fourth year as coach/gm there is a differance. If I had a cookie I would email it to you but him being aprt of the drafting of Chad Pennington has little to do with the history of how he feels about rookie qb's.

My statement still stands as correct because I was referring to when he took over.

Parcells has basically very little history with high draft picks as young qb's. He only had one other qb drafted in the first two rounds by his regime and he started him as a rookie. He already had a 25year old 4th round pick that had started 4 games the previous year and a journeyman qb named Scott Secules that he signed as a free agent. Bledsoe started as a rookie.

I dont see the correlation you are referring to. Romo was an undrafted free agent so of course they did not just put him into the starting rotation. I cant think of no undrafted free agent qb's that were being prepared to be a starting qb thier first year. What highly drafted qb's was Bill Parcells having to sit and learn? Comparing Henne being developed like Romo is so far from accurate because Henne has already taken reps with the first team and Romo as a rookie was not even close to that.

Lets look at Parcells history as he started with each team

With the Giants
He started 26 year old Brunner over 29 year old Simms. Had drafted Hofsteller in the third round.

Simms was in the league 4 years to this point
Brunner was in the league 3 years to this point
Neither guy had been impressive to this point. Ao this situation is trult nothing like ours in any way. He did not develop a young guy to be a starter at any point really.

With the Patriots
Drew Bledose was a rookie first round pick
Scott Zolok was a carryover from previous regime that was drafted in 4th round and started 4 games the previous year
Scott Secules was a journeyman backup qb that was now with his thirs team. Not the same as our situation but the one most closely resembling ours. Drew Bledsoe was the starter as a rookie and stayed that way.

With the Jets

Had holdover free agent Neil O donnel 31 years old
and two lowly regarded younger qb's in Glenn Foley and Ray Lucas.
The following year aquired old war horse Vinnie Testerverde
Then the following year aquired Rich Mirer. So this blue print is so far from our own you might as well just take it out of the conversation. He made no effort to draft a young qb.

With the Cowboys
He aquired a team with two fairly young qb;s in Quincy Carter and Chad Hutchinson. He went with Quincy Carter who started every game his first season in Dallas(Parcells first season). This year they also signed Romo as an undrafted free agent, definately not the normal route to find your future starter, this was not a move that Parcells was thinking hmm I will sit him a few years and he will be my starter lol.

To further my point the next year he traded a third round pick for Drew Henson and signed the ever older Vinnie Testerverde to play qb.Henson actually started the Thankgiving game his rookie year to not so good results. The next season Henson was sent to NFL Europe to work on his game. In 2005 they then aquired Drew Bledsoe to play qb and Henson was beat out by Romo to play backup qb.In 2006 in the fourth game Romo became the starter. The Dallas scenario is nothing like ours and its obvious that Parcells really hoped aned thought that Henson would be his Qb of the future. Romo was not groomed to be a starting qb in the NFL from day one and kind of became that player by hard work and default at one point. So looking at parcells past really doesnt help to sort out our qb situation at all. If we are to look at his history than I guess McCown is the starter this year although his only history of drafting a qb relatively high would point to Henne being the starter. Nothing in his history really suggests that Beck would be his starter although Beck has in reality a good chance to be the starter.

If Parcells does not believe in starting young qb's and does not want to throw them to the wolves so to say then McCown is our starter because Beck is still just a second year qb with limited experience and Henne is a rookie. There are 2 flaws with this arguement though. 1-Sparano is the coach of the team 2- All three qb's have worked with the first team and have been named as being in competition.
With the pats, Drew was the 1st overall pick and did not get his first start until late in the season which was also his first playing time. I believe drew started the last 4 or 5 games. Which ended up being the only wins the pats had that year.

With the pats, Drew was the 1st overall pick and did not get his first start until late in the season which was also his first playing time. I believe drew started the last 4 or 5 games. Which ended up being the only wins the pats had that year.
Bledsoe started the first five and 12 of 16 games his rookie season. The Patriots won five games that year including the last four under Bledsoe.

Incorrect Drew Bledose started 12 games his rookie year. Both he and Rick Mirer were basically thier team's starter right out of the box. Both were starters in September of thier rookie season.

Yea after he quit on the team as coach he was responsible for them drafting Chad Pennington his last year with the team. I was referring to when he took over teams the process hw went through to find thier qb's not what he did in his fourth year as coach/gm there is a differance. If I had a cookie I would email it to you but him being aprt of the drafting of Chad Pennington has little to do with the history of how he feels about rookie qb's.

My statement still stands as correct because I was referring to when he took over.

Yeah, yeah...blah, blah, blah.

I accept your apology.

;)

you'd have to be ignorant to assume that the phins will struggle to win even a few games this season....... its a whole new season dolphin fans.... and the team is in good hands now. It will take a whole lot of injuries for us to win less than 4.

its real easy for people to look at last years record and assume we're by far the worst team in the NFL, but they conviniently forget that we lost half our starters before the season was half over. Not to mention we handed over the team to Tuna.

How many games did we win before all the injuries? We were getting owned even when we were healthy. This team has made some upgrades but make no mistake we still have a talent deposit. We have some young nice new young talent but they have a lot to prove. I say we'll be 4-12!

Back
Top Bottom