Combine Talk | Page 18 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Combine Talk

Good day for a lot of wideouts, looking like we better hope someone passes on Parker or White or we may need to trade up.

I'm a huge Strong fan, and I loved his tape (especially the USC game) and even I was surprised by his day. Build on that and do good in privates and the pro day and he may be in the conversation at 14.

Funchess didn't run well so you're probably looking at a switch back to TE for him.

You know, I overlooked Strong because of what others have said . . . slow, lacks separation . . . but I was impressed with the ball skills, hands and size. The 40 time was pretty surprising, in a great way. I'm going to take a better look at him in the next few weeks . . . he definitely could move up in the top 20 conversation, especially if the WR run has the top 3 guys in the top 10.

yeah Dawson isnt the biggest of guys.... still not sure if he is a true Mike for the NFL though. once again struggles taking on and getting off blocks in hte middle... tries to go around them more. but i agree on the instincts and his ability he offers.

---------- Post added at 07:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:15 AM ----------

agreed here... its why I never really have mentioned him much, but he really has impressed me more and may have me looking at him more still.

Dawson's size reminds me a lot of Jenkins which I think either could play MLB. Size isn't everything IMO Zach Thomas was a good illustration. A good MLB needs instincts to the ball and an ability to stay off blocks and able to tackle.

He did well in the drills to. Sharp cuts, showed good body control (which you see plenty of that on tape), hands catcher...it was a good day for him.

I wouldn't even touch Funchess but some people around here are high on him. 4.70 40 though fits in with our slow WR group like I mentioned before. Except Funchess also has bad hands to go with his slow speed.

I thought he'd run better, and I thought calling him soft was unfair, but I knew about the bad hands trust me there lol. While he can't block worth a damn, as a TE he's a mismatch though. But that knocks him down quite a bit.

And yeah you and I have gone back and forth on Strong a bit. While I do think you can make a case that his speed wasn't shown off in ASU's offense, I do agree that he doesn't play that fast. But all of his stengths are things our WRs really lack.

You know, I overlooked Strong because of what other shave said . . . slow, lacks separation . . . but I was impressed with the ball skills, hands and size. I'm going to take a better look at him in the next few weeks . . . he definitely could move up in the top 20 conversation, especially if the WR run has the top 3 guys in the top 10.

I want Beckham ... of course assuming the first 3 of Cooper, White, and Parker are all gone by 14. I would not hesitate to take Beckham. He has speed and catched everything. I know he has off field stuff but assuming our staff can determine he has a coachable attitude then I would pull the trigger. He has everything on the field we need.

Also I would take Waller in round 5 if he's there. Then give me WR group of Wallace, Landry, Hazel, Hartline, Beckham, and Waller. Add that group to Clay and Sims and watch out!

With good reason though, he has character issues, he has a troubled history. The statement that Philbin would pass on him because he needs a guy to contribute immediately suggests that he would pass on him if he was a clean prospect. I don't think he does and I'm certain he's on Miami's board if he's clean. Philbin and Hickey pass on him because of his previous troubles. Most teams pass on him, top 15, because of it.

People were thrilled with Juwan James and Jarvis Landry last year . . . both guys were "safer picks", very, very clean backgrounds and just were solid football players. I'm ok getting these type of guys in round 1 and 2 . . . we need guys who have a proven track record of playing good football on the field without much bull**** off the field.

I just think we aren't that desperate to grab DGB at 14, when there are solid football players who will be good players for Miami available. If it means getting the 2nd highest potential guy at 14 (assuming DGB is the highest potential guy at 14) but he is clean on and off the field . . . I'm ok with it.

Why put risk into an equation that doesn't need it?

Given what Hickey has said about looking for football players I'm not sure DGB is in the conversation. At this point he's more athlete than football player. He looked extremely raw in drills. I would certainly put Cooper, White, Parker, Strong and would probably put Tyler Lockett and Tre McBride in front of him as well. DGB is right there with Sammie Coates for me...two outstanding athletes who are extremely raw as WRs...it's a huge risk that they ever develop as WRs. Not just the nuances of the position but reading defenses and understanding DB leverage. I don't think Miami is in position to take a risk like that on both of those guys. Not with our WR corp in flux.

With good reason though, he has character issues, he has a troubled history. The statement that Philbin would pass on him because he needs a guy to contribute immediately suggests that he would pass on him if he was a clean prospect. I don't think he does and I'm certain he's on Miami's board if he's clean. Philbin and Hickey pass on him because of his previous troubles. Most teams pass on him, top 15, because of it.

People were thrilled with Juwan James and Jarvis Landry last year . . . both guys were "safer picks", very, very clean backgrounds and just were solid football players. I'm ok getting these type of guys in round 1 and 2 . . . we need guys who have a proven track record of playing good football on the field without much bull**** off the field.

I just think we aren't that desperate to grab DGB at 14, when there are solid football players who will be good players for Miami available. If it means getting the 2nd highest potential guy at 14 (assuming DGB is the highest potential guy at 14) but he is clean on and off the field . . . I'm ok with it.

Not to mention philbin is as hard on WRs as any coach in the NFL. He wants pure technicians. You drop passes in practice, and you won't ever see the football field, Ask Jordy Nelson.

Philbin prefers the Cooper, Hardy, type WRs.

I do think we will look for a playmaker on offense, I just think it will be at RB. Lamar Miller, despite the raw stats, left a lot of yards on the field and made very few plays on his own.

Our running game never benefited our pass game, it was the other way around, and that has to change this year.

You know, I overlooked Strong because of what others have said . . . slow, lacks separation . . . but I was impressed with the ball skills, hands and size. The 40 time was pretty surprising, in a great way. I'm going to take a better look at him in the next few weeks . . . he definitely could move up in the top 20 conversation, especially if the WR run has the top 3 guys in the top 10.

I think some of those concerns are/were a little overblown (and I've said as much). Not that it isn't a concern, but you also have to look at the type of throws being made to him are...

[video=youtube;PAKaEbuduvA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAKaEbuduvA[/video]

He's not blowing by people on a decent UCLA defense (at least in terms of NFL prospects), but he's also not running routes designed to do that. He adjusts so well to the ball in the air, and he does show good short area quickness. He has a ball taken away that was just a great play by the DB, but he was open and made a good play to get his hands on an underthrown ball as well.

Of course there's the USC game

[video=dailymotion;x28vklt]http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x28vklt_jaeoriginal2_auto[/video]

and Utah who has had some good secondaries

[video=youtube;h3jgkumilZw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3jgkumilZw[/video]

[video=dailymotion;x2gcl82]http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2gcl82_wrjs12_animals[/video]

Throw another one in there

A hypocritical move so long as Pouncey remains on the team. I think the raw factor is far bigger. Both James and Landry were plug-and-play.

Wouldn't be shocked at all to pass on potentially great for solid. Certainly the MO.

RB is gonna be fun to watch on day 2. Gonna be some solid guys for Miami to choose from . . . we'll see if they take part.

A hypocritical move so long as Pouncey remains on the team. I think the raw factor is far bigger. Both James and Landry were plug-and-play.

Wouldn't be shocked at all to pass on potentially great for solid. Certainly the MO.

With the difference being Pouncey is already on the team, proven to be a solid football player in the NFL and creates an additional hole by cutting him while we don't have to take DGB and have an infinite number of other options at 14, with cleaner backgrounds and more refined skills, to choose from.

I do agree, the raw factor is a big part of it, and you are right, even if he was clean . . . he probably isn't the fit that Hickey and Joe are looking for, even if the potential would be higher than others. They aren't trying to sit on a prospect in hopes of him turning into a top WR 2 or 3 years down the road. They need Jarvis Landry part 2 . . . his taller/faster brother to throw on the outside.

Jeremy Langford has been under the radar in this process. His 4.43 40 should help him. He's one of the better receivers out of the backfield in this draft.

Sucks that David Cobb pulled up with a quad injury. I was really hoping to get a better look at him in the drills. I like him a lot as a compliment to Miller.

With the difference being Pouncey is already on the team, proven to be a solid football player in the NFL and creates an additional hole by cutting him while we don't have to take DGB and have an infinite number of other options at 14, with cleaner backgrounds and more refined skills, to choose from.

I do agree, the raw factor is a big part of it, and you are right, even if he was clean . . . he probably isn't the fit that Hickey and Joe are looking for, even if the potential would be higher than others. They aren't trying to sit on a prospect in hopes of him turning into a top WR 2 or 3 years down the road. They need Jarvis Landry part 2 . . . his taller/faster brother to throw on the outside.

Still hypocritical. DGB also has the high potential to fill a hole that's already present. The idea that they would be willing to overlook such issues if he contributes on the field a la Pouncey only proves that. They'll pass on him primarily because Philbin knows his job is on the line this year (I guess, who knows with Ross) and he needs immediate starters, regardless of potential. They may say it's because of his off-the-field issues, particularly if he lives up to the hype, but it certainly isn't the primary reason.

Hey, maybe that approach will work this time and Sparano's desperation year was the exception to the rule.

Fortunately, there are several good playmakers that will be available at that position to take the sting out of passing on such potential.

Back
Top Bottom