Comment By Sirspud On Thill.... (when Thill Has Time) | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Comment By Sirspud On Thill.... (when Thill Has Time)

LoneStarPhin

Active Roster
Reaction score
On that thread about THill toughness, Sir spud said something simple that I thought was really profound:

We all know he can struggle with pressure, but everytime I see Tannehill set to throw downfield I expect something good to happen because it usually does...

I think in the last couple years for sure, RT seems literally to be the best in the business when he has a comfortable pocket and time to set his feet throwing 15+ yds downfield.

It’s true if you’re any kind of Dolphin fan- you get this rush of excitement when RT drops back and launches with time because he is so dead accurate and makes good decisions on ball placement.

RT is not the elite player that will carry a team game in and game out (few are) but he really brings out the wonderment of what might have been had he been surrounded with better coaching and line play for any real duration.

I hope somewhere sometime good fortune surrounds him for at least a couple of seasons. The guy deserves it.

I agree on throwing in a clean pocket, he is just about as good as anyone. Sure most NFL QBs should be good with a clean pocket, but we didn't have that until Tannehill going back to Marino. When Tannehill got here, if the ball made it past the LOS (which was a problem early on), generally it was going to be on target. Even Fiedler, the last decent quarterback outside Chad P., was more like "clenched cheeks" when the ball left his arm.

Maybe it will click ala Rich Gannon and a few others. I’ve been as hard on him as anyone but I would love for him to prove me and the millions of other doubters wrong. Even a lot of my friends today are shooting down today’s win as a fluke etc. They aren’t my friends anymore FYI #PhinsUp

Offensive line play is well within league norm. Anyone who doesn't understand that is going to adjust, adjust and adjust their way to nonsense.

Just because some ranking system put us low on the list doesn't mean it is 20% below median level, or anything close to that.

Gore at age 35 would never be putting up these type of numbers if the offensive line was inept. This season Gore is averaging 4.5 yards per carry, which is above his career average and his highest number since 4.7 in the 2012 Super Bowl season with the 49ers.

That should be borderline impossible at age 35. He is not getting better or faster or quicker with age. He simply has superior blocking in front of him. The number of times we absolutely gash an opponent up the middle is incredible. Gore doesn't have to pause and weave. He explodes because the crease is obvious in front of him. The past three seasons with the Colts his rushing average never reached 4.0 -- 3.7, 3.9, 3.7 -- because that offensive line was inferior to the one the Dolphins are fielding. Gore has never been below 4.0 in his life other than all 3 seasons with the Colts.

The aggressive effective running game opens up everything else, including for Tannehill. If we were sitting there at 2nd and 10 all the time after running for no gain then Tannehill's numbers would not be what they are.

Offensive line play is well within league norm. Anyone who doesn't understand that is going to adjust, adjust and adjust their way to nonsense.

Just because some ranking system put us low on the list doesn't mean it is 20% below median level, or anything close to that.

Gore at age 35 would never be putting up these type of numbers if the offensive line was inept. This season Gore is averaging 4.5 yards per carry, which is above his career average and his highest number since 4.7 in the 2012 Super Bowl season with the 49ers.

That should be borderline impossible at age 35. He is not getting better or faster or quicker with age. He simply has superior blocking in front of him. The number of times we absolutely gash an opponent up the middle is incredible. Gore doesn't have to pause and weave. He explodes because the crease is obvious in front of him. The past three seasons with the Colts his rushing average never reached 4.0 -- 3.7, 3.9, 3.7 -- because that offensive line was inferior to the one the Dolphins are fielding. Gore has never been below 4.0 in his life other than all 3 seasons with the Colts.

The aggressive effective running game opens up everything else, including for Tannehill. If we were sitting there at 2nd and 10 all the time after running for no gain then Tannehill's numbers would not be what they are.

Pass blocking and run blocking aren't the same at all.

If we were sitting there at 2nd and 10 all the time after running for no gain then Tannehill's numbers would not be what they are.
tenor.gif

very deep: a series of 2nd downs and long distance would make the qb's work harder and make his stats worse... cuttin edge analysys, right here!

On that thread about THill toughness, Sir spud said something simple that I thought was really profound:

I think in the last couple years for sure, RT seems literally to be the best in the business when he has a comfortable pocket and time to set his feet throwing 15+ yds downfield.

It’s true if you’re any kind of Dolphin fan- you get this rush of excitement when RT drops back and launches with time because he is so dead accurate and makes good decisions on ball placement.

RT is not the elite player that will carry a team game in and game out (few are) but he really brings out the wonderment of what might have been had he been surrounded with better coaching and line play for any real duration.

I hope somewhere sometime good fortune surrounds him for at least a couple of seasons. The guy deserves it.

What is with the defeatist, past tense tone in the post??

Is Tannehill not under contract as a Dolphin?

Did he not just turn 30 this year in an age where QBs are playing well into their late 30s and beyond?

The post is written as if he just got traded or cut..."what might have been" LOL Tanne is 30 not 40...

Any time you worry that Tannehill doesn't enjoy good fortune take a look at his wife, his bank account and the fact that he's one of 32 starting NFL QB's in the world. I've always said given time he'll pick you apart, throwing on the run he is uncanny accurate and he has learned to make better decisions with the ball. No reason to list his deficiencies, we all know what they are.

Look, we were lucky to beat NE on that crazy last play but we're at 6-5, same record as Indy, and better than a bunch of teams we were impressed with at the start of the season such as the Eagles. I'm less pissed at Tannehill than after the Bengal game. He showed great courage yesterday playing hurt and somehow, someway got a W at the end. I'm concerned that he can't handle much more of the pounding that he takes. I'd love to see him take far fewer hits. Block for the man for God's sake!

This has always been my biggest gripe about the Dolphins setting up RT for success. Dating back to his first 2 years, he always did well and won games when he had time to throw. Their win-loss differential was stunning when Brandon Albert played vs being out.

Also, and this is probably surprising to people, RT had one of the best completion % under pressure when he had this protection. He’s one of the best when he sees the pressure. It’s when the blitz isn’t coming, there’s a breakdown in the OL, and he gets pressured that he doesn’t respond well.

Best thing they could do is shore up the o-line.

BULLSHIT! Total and complete BULLSHIT.

Pass blocking, we're talking about PASS BLOCKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Even the run blocking is terribly inconsistent. You fail to mention that Gore has 5 games this year where he averages less than 3 YPC. Here are his YPC by game with Tannehill starting:

6.78 - W
2.78 - W
2 - W
3.73 - L
5.25 - L
4.79 - L
2.63 -W
7.67 - W

I am not a Tannehill basher that said I have stated from season one - he has zero pocket presence - the good ones have the ability to extend plays and win by there ability to create - TH ability to Yoda is beyond bad... games are won and lost in the 4th qtr and his poor pocket presence makes him average at best.

You did see the difference between the Patriots’ and Dolphins’ OL yesterday? Tom Brady had all day to throw, Ryan Tannehill was hit on every other passing attempt. Honestly, do you really think the lines were close in performance?

Well said.

Back
Top Bottom