Comment from Ross that points to Aponte's power in the organization | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Comment from Ross that points to Aponte's power in the organization

If Aponte is standing in the background, Ross feels the need to mention her. That's natural and it could account for the first highlighted quote, when Aponte's name is sort of thrown in at the end. It's quite possible that Ross was rattling out the names and realized he hadn't mentioned Aponte so he threw her in, even if her role in the general manager search wasn't substantial. It would be awkward as heck to stand there and not be credited with anything.

A week or two ago an article asserted that salary cap issues were only 20% of Aponte's job. I don't think we know exactly what she does, other than write scripts for Philbin's pressers.

Right, to discuss their fit together. He wasn't there as an "advisor" to Ross on the search.

Philbin met the candidates after they met with the folks mentioned. Logic tells me he didn't need to meet them twice so I don't see the hidden issue.

I am pretty sure also saw Dawn wearing a locket with Joes teenie weenie picture in it - just saying

Oh yah and Joe had a "real" hickey on his neck -> Not the HICKEY a reddish substance -> hell maybe that was a bite mark...

Nutjob :chuckle:

Well if the OP is right and Ross is the Bumbling Billionaire maybe Aponte was actually present as legal council to keep Ross from embarrassing the organization by asking candidates if their mommy hooked?

And this is going to affect our win/loss record, how? Isn't that all that matters? Besides, if they don't have a problem with it, why should we?

At this point it is what it is. The organizational chart will show Aponte reporting to Hickey, but we know where she stands with Ross. She also reported to Ireland, but she helped get him fired so it doesn't really matter where she reports as she has a direct line to Ross at all times. I don't like how it all went down, but honestly I am not going to worry about it anymore. The side show is over for now, let's move forward and let it play out. Who knows, like I said in another thread Ross may just stumble on to something that works well and Miami wins which is what we all want.

inspector_clouseau_peter_sellers_de-1.jpg

View attachment 12154

If Aponte is standing in the background, Ross feels the need to mention her. That's natural and it could account for the first highlighted quote, when Aponte's name is sort of thrown in at the end. It's quite possible that Ross was rattling out the names and realized he hadn't mentioned Aponte so he threw her in, even if her role in the general manager search wasn't substantial. It would be awkward as heck to stand there and not be credited with anything.

A week or two ago an article asserted that salary cap issues were only 20% of Aponte's job. I don't think we know exactly what she does, other than write scripts for Philbin's pressers.

Awsi Dooger - I don't profess to know either but she is definitely very smart and her level of business and financial skills probably makes her the person in the building who safeguards his $1.1Billion investment. I have been exposed to a few very successful Jewish businessmen over the years and they sometimes have business instincts that are not taught in good MBA courses (maybe the Stephen Ross Business School at Michigan University). One of them is to consciously search for really smart people with business talent. Very few people have her qualifications and experience (degrees in law and accounting, masters in finance, CPA, Juris Doctorate and also a member of the NY Bar). She didn't get them by just having a pretty smile in fact it's pretty exceptional, and then have the guts to get into the roughest most sexist industry - the NFL (negotiating with the player agents), and get married and raise a family. She is the one in 10 million who has the credentials, talent and toughness to smash the glass ceiling. And make no mistake, the women who do smash the glass ceiling, have to be smarter and tougher and better than the men to do so. My hunch is that Stephen Ross knows just how talented she is and looks upon her as the brains in the Davie office, who can keep an eye on everything (safeguarding his investment).

Last edited by a moderator:
Wasn't Aponte being considered for an exec job with the league? We don't know how powerful she is but she is definitely not a bean counter.

Reporting rosters to the NFL league offices
Cutting players and putting in waiver claims on players
Designating accrued wages for salary cap
Designating actual cash paid to players for the salary floor
Dealing with contract grievances and NFL arbitrators
Negotiating new contracts
Discerning "likely to be earned" vs "unlikely to be earned" contract incentives for cap purposes
Liaison between the team and the NFLPA
Forecasting/budgeting for FA
Team labor and contract lawyer

I could go on with more, but I think you get the picture. With anywhere from 60 to 90 players she has to deal with, there's a lot to do - and I don't trust Philbin, Ross, or a rookie GM to carry out those actions. Its easy to trivialize the position when you don't know what she does, but something tells me you do actually know what she does.

Subordinates do not interview potential bosses. It does not happen.

People are trying to over interpret because they don't want to admit the truth: Aponte has a lot of power.

Back
Top Bottom