Commentary: And Then There Was One… | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Commentary: And Then There Was One…

TeeMoney said:
What I think is dubious about this article, is that it mentions Carnell as being a 10,000 yard rusher at the end of his career (there have only been 17 of them). Yet doesn't reccommend him for the pick... loopy

I never said that Williams would ring up 10,000 yards over the course of his career. Though that said, in a few years, 10,000 yards is going to become the football equivalent of 50 homers: impressive, but not awesome. Look how many runners in the current NFL will hit that mark.

Williams will be a good, consistent back, nothing more. That's not worth a #2 pick, in my mind. He's not going to threaten to run for 2000 yards in a season, and he's not going to score 20 touchdowns. I think Ronnie Brown and Cedric Benson are much better bets for spectacular careers.

MiamiMan147 said:
Writing off Feeley at this point is just plain ignorant. Marino would have looked like **** in that offense, so how can you blame Feeley for looking like ****? I could understand thinking QB if either of the 2 prospects are future superstars, but I just don't see it. Rodgers very likely will end up like the other Tedford QB's like Trent Dilfer and Joey Harrington that had huge #'s in college but struggled in the pro's. Alex Smith has to prove he can take snaps from under center (see: Brock Berlin) in addition to proving that he can succeed at the pro level . If either guy was even a potential Manning or McNabb, then I'd say go for it, but I don't think either will ever sniff that level of success. If in the 1st round we pick up a guy who may only develop into an above average QB, then you've wasted the highest draft pick we've had in 30+ years.

It's not ignorant at all, but saying that Marino would have looked like **** in that offense certainly is.
Feeley is 28 years old, it's time to stop thinking of him as some kind of exciting young QB prospect. He is what he is. The ONLY QB I can think of who sat the bench for this long a period of time and became big was Steve Young. And if you're seriously comparing Feeley to Steve Young, you've got issues. If Feeley was anything special, he would have shown it by now. Instead, he's still making rookie mistakes.
I think either Rodgers or Smith can be a franchise QB. Are they as good prospects as a guy like Matt Leinart will be next year, or as good as Carson Palmer was a couple years ago? No, but they've still got the ability to be Pro Bowl QBs.

Look, I think every draft class has it's strengths and weaknesses. This year it is RB. The top 3 RBs are considered great NFL prospects. By contrast the top two QBs are considered decent prosepcts compared to past drafts. I think there is not that much value difference from Smith and Rodgers compared to QBs that can be had later like Frye and Orton. We have just comitted to Sage, Ferotte, and Saban has verbally comitted to Feeley. I think we are going RB this draft, and I think that RB is Benson. I am not sure I caught the where and why in your article you eliminated him.

Good stuff, Phil, except that as you know, I'm running the Alex Smith bandwagon.

I would really argue that you're probably a little backwards in your assessment of the quarterbacks. In my opinion, Smith without question represents more of a project with a far greater upside, while Rodgers is the more polished and NFL-ready prospect, but with him what you see may be what you get.

ghost of marino said:
I would really argue that you're probably a little backwards in your assessment of the quarterbacks. In my opinion, Smith without question represents more of a project with a far greater upside, while Rodgers is the more polished and NFL-ready prospect, but with him what you see may be what you get.

I think that Smith's intelligence and coachability means that he's less likely to bust, thus he's the safer pick. Meanwhile, Rodgers' stronger arm gives him the greater potential. That's the way I see it.

BTW, as always, many thanks to everyone who enjoyed the article!

Nice read. Not sure Im convinced, but you make a solid case.

Drafting a QB at #2 makes me vomit. :barf: It would be best for the Miami Dolphins if AJ Feeley were actually given a chance to succeed...our cap situation can't afford some rookie #2 pick holding a clipboard and carrying Feeley's helmet. The #2 pick has to play. Drafting a QB at that spot would be dead weight that would cause the Phins to sink to the bottom.

You didn't even begin to convince me that one of those QB's could make us a better team within the next 4 years. Those 2 underclassmen QB's will have there collective heads spinning in the NFL.

I would much rather have the top offensive or defensive player on the board. Pretending that one of those Juniors is a Marino or Rothlesburger is just whistling in the wind.

PhinstiGator said:
Drafting a QB at #2 makes me vomit. :barf: It would be best for the Miami Dolphins if AJ Feeley were actually given a chance to succeed...our cap situation can't afford some rookie #2 pick holding a clipboard and carrying Feeley's helmet. The #2 pick has to play. Drafting a QB at that spot would be dead weight that would cause the Phins to sink to the bottom.

You didn't even begin to convince me that one of those QB's could make us a better team within the next 4 years. Those 2 underclassmen QB's will have there collective heads spinning in the NFL.

I would much rather have the top offensive or defensive player on the board. Pretending that one of those Juniors is a Marino or Rothlesburger is just whistling in the wind.

Wow ... that's a broad statement. And since you've said we can't even begin to convince you that Smith or Rodgers could make the Dolphins a better team within four years (four years ... wow!), I won't even try.

AirChambers84 said:
We will probably never pick this high again, and we are building a new foundation.

The thing is, if you believe that QB is our #1 priority(shortcoming), then taking a QB who is more than likely going to hold a clipboard his rookie season will not make much of a difference THIS season so.......more than likely we will be picking high again next year.

So, I say take a RB high (which IS, IMO, our biggest problem) this year as this is a stellar pool of RB talent to pick from. THEN take a QB next year.

phunwin said:
It's not ignorant at all, but saying that Marino would have looked like **** in that offense certainly is.
Feeley is 28 years old, it's time to stop thinking of him as some kind of exciting young QB prospect. He is what he is. The ONLY QB I can think of who sat the bench for this long a period of time and became big was Steve Young. And if you're seriously comparing Feeley to Steve Young, you've got issues. If Feeley was anything special, he would have shown it by now. Instead, he's still making rookie mistakes.
I think either Rodgers or Smith can be a franchise QB. Are they as good prospects as a guy like Matt Leinart will be next year, or as good as Carson Palmer was a couple years ago? No, but they've still got the ability to be Pro Bowl QBs.

Well spoken. All these people keep crying to give Feeley a chance, but it's not like he just joined the league. Do you think Peyton Manning would ever ride the bench until he was 28? The fact that he's been around so long and this is his first starting opportunity says it all. He will win some games for us - but he is not a superstar. Taking a QB with our #2 pick is not unreasonable.

Shawn-l said:
The thing is, if you believe that QB is our #1 priority(shortcoming), then taking a QB who is more than likely going to hold a clipboard his rookie season will not make much of a difference THIS season so.......more than likely we will be picking high again next year.

As I've noted in the article; I don't think that we're going to contend this year anyway. This team is NOT one player away from a deep playoff run. Am I thrilled about the prospects of another sub-.500 season? Of course not, but to try and rush things and win a few more games now at the expense of the long-term health of the franchise is silly.

Back
Top Bottom