Commentary: And Then There Was One… | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Commentary: And Then There Was One…

DrAstroZoom said:
Wow ... that's a broad statement. And since you've said we can't even begin to convince you that Smith or Rodgers could make the Dolphins a better team within four years (four years ... wow!), I won't even try.
Now now now...I didn't say "can't". I said, "You didn't even begin to convince me..." Yes, it was a very broad statement.

At what point do you think that one of those Junior QB's will make us a better team? And why are those two boys being considered better than Eli Manning?

Again, I didn't say that I can't be convinced. I need a more convincing arguement. I don't see it. Of course, I don't view the game of football as all things revolving around the QB either. What top 10 player will have the greatest impact on this team in the next 4 years? I can think of 3 or 4 players that I would choose before one of those Junior QB's.

I think both Smith and Rodgers could begin making serious contributions in '06. I think one of them will be a Pro Bowler by the end of your hypothetical four-year window.

DrAstroZoom said:
I think both Smith and Rodgers could begin making serious contributions in '06. I think one of them will be a Pro Bowler by the end of your hypothetical four-year window.
That's fine...but, you must explain why one of those boys is much better than say a David Carr type of player. Carr will be a good one probably. But, it typically takes about 1000 pass attempts (2 seasons of starting) to see what you really have with an NFL QB. Pro Bowl QB's like Brees need the right supporting cast in the backfield, offensive line, and playmaking receivers.

I can't really recall any Junior QB's that really lit it up upon arrival in the NFL. Michael Vick is a super threat because of his legs. He has still yet to reach his potential as a passer.

I could care less if we ever have a pro bowl QB. I want a team that can compete with anyone. I want a team that is not built around a single player...so that when injuries come the season is not lost. Getting a 60 million dollar QB may make fans feel better about this team...but, it doesn't make us a better team...and few fans would be willing to wait 4 years to see production. That's why supporting Feeley makes sense both immediately and long-term. Presupposing that Feeley is a failure when he is much closer to success then those Juniors is simply a grass is always greener mentality that I hope Saban avoids like the plague.

And Then There Was One… Article

http://www.finheaven.com/cms/130.html

Phil,

Good article, while I agree with most you say, and I think Saban will try and trade down. I can't stop getting the feeling that he will draft Edwards. I have nothing to back it up, I just keep getting this feeling that's what he will do.

We will find out soon!:wink:

NJFINSFAN1 said:
http://www.finheaven.com/cms/130.html

Phil,

Good article, while I agree with most you say, and I think Saban will try and trade down. I can't stop getting the feeling that he will draft Edwards. I have nothing to back it up, I just keep getting this feeling that's what he will do.

We will find out soon!:wink:

I agree. I get the same feeling. I think Edwards will be the choice if we stay at #2.

I'm starting to think we draft Edwards no matter what happens with SF at #1. If we pick him that leaves M.Williams as the only elite receiver left on the board and TB will probably take him at #5 if the Bears pass on him.

So that leaves Minnesota at pick #7 without the guy they covet in this draft. If they there's nothing at 7 that they really want i could see them seeking a trade with the Phins to get Edwards. If Minnesota doesn't offer us anything SD might want to trade with us to acquire Edwards.

Worst case Scenario - Neither team pulls the trigger and we keep the best player in the draft.

Cheapshotz said:
I'm starting to think we draft Edwards no matter what happens with SF at #1. If we pick him that leaves M.Williams as the only elite receiver left on the board and TB will probably take him at #5 if the Bears pass on him.

So that leaves Minnesota at pick #7 without the guy they covet in this draft. If they there's nothing at 7 that they really want i could see them seeking a trade with the Phins to get Edwards. If Minnesota doesn't offer us anything SD might want to trade with us to acquire Edwards.

Worst case Scenario - Neither team pulls the trigger and we keep the best player in the draft.

Its not like there are no other receivers in this draft, I think Minnesota will be content to add Troy Williamson(who is a blazer) with their pick.

BlueFin said:
Its not like there are no other receivers in this draft, I think Minnesota will be content to add Troy Williamson(who is a blazer) with their pick.

Agreed, I don't see the vikings doing this. Maybe the Chargers get worried :confused:

I just have this funny feeling we take Edwards.

I'm not siding too close with this article.

1. Saying Caddy does not have the potential to be in Canton one day,but Brown does is ridiculous. Why? Because he dosn't have the size or speed (which he does have) that Brown does. I'm sure more than a few hall of fame caliber RB's can prove that size dosn't matter. Or because he wasn't as productive as Benson? How many backs were, he was a 4 year starter on a run based team, not many backs can say that.
2. You also state that there are no runfirst teams getting to the championship. The Ravens and Panthers were both teams that are definition running teams. Atlanta this year made a solid run as the best rushing team in the leauge.
Off the topic, the Rams and Broncos that you say were close were one of the most explosive offense in the leauge at the time, I wouldn't consider them running teams, even if they did have amazing production from the RB spots. Kurt Warner was an MVP for the Rams during their era and John Elway speaks for himself. They were very multi-dimisional teams.
3. Saying that Alex Smith played in a pro-style offense? Did you see Utah play? It's shotgun,option, and gimmick type plays all the way. How is he a safer bet than Rodgers? Inversely, Rodgers' training from Tedford is in no way a bonus in my mind. He obviously knows how to win in college, but how many of his pupils have shown they could play at the next level?
4. You also state the reason we need a QB is that we need to get a franchise quarterback. Of the 9 you listed, two have Superbowl rings. So we don't need a runningback because running teams don't win the superbown but obviously the franchise quarterback what we need? Seems a little contradictory.

Well theres my two cents, good read though, I appreciate the time spent writing that.

I have a feeling that they'll trade out. I really do. I'm really starting to think that Caddy Williams will be in the backfield down there this season.

BlueFin said:

So that leaves SD at #12 with out the top 3 Wr's in the draft and Miami holding onto the top player in the draft.

I'm almost certain Saban picks Edwards with our #2 if nobody trades up with us when we're on the clock. Edwards is the only player that will give Saban any trading leverage after we pick. If nobody wants to trade then we get the BPA and our 3rd WR for Linehan's offense.

BlueFin said:

True he is very fast, but he's a poor route runner. He's like Reggie Williams (#11 overall last year). Not in measurables but the fact he's fast and can't run clean routes. Williams was a major flop last year to say the least.

saves said:

1. Saying Caddy does not have the potential to be in Canton one day,but Brown does is ridiculous. Why? Because he dosn't have the size or speed (which he does have) that Brown does. I'm sure more than a few hall of fame caliber RB's can prove that size dosn't matter. Or because he wasn't as productive as Benson? How many backs were, he was a 4 year starter on a run based team, not many backs can say that.
2. You also state that there are no runfirst teams getting to the championship. The Ravens and Panthers were both teams that are definition running teams. Atlanta this year made a solid run as the best rushing team in the leauge.
Off the topic, the Rams and Broncos that you say were close were one of the most explosive offense in the leauge at the time, I wouldn't consider them running teams, even if they did have amazing production from the RB spots. Kurt Warner was an MVP for the Rams during their era and John Elway speaks for himself. They were very multi-dimisional teams.
3. Saying that Alex Smith played in a pro-style offense? Did you see Utah play? It's shotgun,option, and gimmick type plays all the way. How is he a safer bet than Rodgers? Inversely, Rodgers' training from Tedford is in no way a bonus in my mind. He obviously knows how to win in college, but how many of his pupils have shown they could play at the next level?
4. You also state the reason we need a QB is that we need to get a franchise quarterback. Of the 9 you listed, two have Superbowl rings. So we don't need a runningback because running teams don't win the superbown but obviously the franchise quarterback what we need? Seems a little contradictory.

Well theres my two cents, good read though, I appreciate the time spent writing that.

I agree with saves.

Also one more thing. I don't think that Brown was beat out of a RB position at Auburn as he was better at other positions then others. This gave Auburn the oppurtunity to get them both on the field at the same time. Brown could have started but that would have left Caddy on the bench with no production. With Brown's willingness to move to other postions to get them both on the field shows to me how he puts the team in front of his own self.

PhinstiGator said:
That's fine...but, you must explain why one of those boys is much better than say a David Carr type of player. Carr will be a good one probably. But, it typically takes about 1000 pass attempts (2 seasons of starting) to see what you really have with an NFL QB. Pro Bowl QB's like Brees need the right supporting cast in the backfield, offensive line, and playmaking receivers.

I can't really recall any Junior QB's that really lit it up upon arrival in the NFL. Michael Vick is a super threat because of his legs. He has still yet to reach his potential as a passer.

I could care less if we ever have a pro bowl QB. I want a team that can compete with anyone. I want a team that is not built around a single player...so that when injuries come the season is not lost. Getting a 60 million dollar QB may make fans feel better about this team...but, it doesn't make us a better team...and few fans would be willing to wait 4 years to see production. That's why supporting Feeley makes sense both immediately and long-term. Presupposing that Feeley is a failure when he is much closer to success then those Juniors is simply a grass is always greener mentality that I hope Saban avoids like the plague.

I agree with every word. :hail:

Feeley played behind McNabb for three years, and finally came to be a starter on another team in his fourth season. I have no idea where the notion comes from that there is anything wrong with this progression. I wouldn't have expected him to overtake Donovan McNabb and become the starter in Philly, would anybody else?

So he played out his contract, got enough recognition as a back-up that at least three teams were interested in obtaining him. 3 season in...3 seasons carrying a clipboard........he continued his career in a new setting finally getting the chance to start.

Right on schedule, as far as I can tell.

One season starting, in the most dysfunctional setting, certainly in the history of the Dolphins but, possibly in the history of the league and people are ready to throw him away.

Forget how grossly unfair it is to judge him from last season but, think just for a minute how many games he's actually played in the NFL. Anyone who actually expects more from him and what he's been through so far is being unrealistic.

The guy is talented. He's got leadership ability, he's tough (in a sense..:chuckle: ) he's competitive and he can throw the football fearlessly ....and sometimes carelessly. The latter is what experience is all about.

It takes an experienced QB to play "caretaker" in this league. Feeley has a full season of playing time in 4 years. He showed improvement as the season went on even with horrible circumstances surrounding him.

There is just no logical reason to give up on him, and that's what selecting a QB with the number two pick would be.

saves said:

Look, it's obviously WAY premature to start calling guys Hall of Famers or not. I appreciate that. I just view Williams as having a solid, but not dynamite career, for the reasons I mentioned.

No. That's not what I said. I said that no teams built around their running game had won the Super Bowl recently. The Ravens built their defense and added Jamal Lewis to the mix later. The Panthers didn't win the Super Bowl, but that's okay, because they had the same pattern: built a defense first, added a running back later. Atlanta built around Michael Vick.

I don't want to understate the running game, because it's very important. But my point was that you've got to build a team first, THEN add the running back.

See above. The Rams and Broncos built their teams and added a running back to the mix later. I never argued that the Rams were a rush-first team; they clearly were not.

I've heard concerns about Smith's inability to operate outside a shotgun. I'll admit, it's got me a little worried. But he's got the size to see over the line, and the smarts to adjust. So it's not a big issue, IMHO.
I'd argue that Tedford has a pretty good track record, actually. Trent Dilfer has a Super Bowl ring. Billy Volek was a low round pick who's paying big dividends for Tennessee. Carr looks to be on the right track. Harrington probably isn't, but it's still a little soon to say for sure. Only Akili Smith was an unmitigated bust. And even that deserves to be asterisked. Smith was a classic case of a guy who had a blowup senior season and cashed in. Plenty of people at the time (like me) knew that he was going to be a bust.

Let me reiterate: at no point did I say running teams didn't win the Super Bowl. The running game is important. Very much so, in fact. However, my point was that you're better off building around a QB and adding the RB later. It's like building a house: do you lay the foundation first, or do you start installing the kitchen cabinets?

Glad you enjoyed it. :)

Back
Top Bottom