Commentary: Now It's Officially Over | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Commentary: Now It's Officially Over

DolphinDevil28 said:
byroan is correct. Marty Booker is far from average.

By the way, how did O-gun do last year now that he didn't have J.T. opposite him???

EDIT: I do, however look forward to a new regime and am completely happy that every trace of the Wanny era is gone.

Yeah Marty is far from average, Dont bad mouth O Gun he was as much as an aid to Taylor as Taylor was to him. O Gun was injured last year so we shall see what happens to O Gun.

That doesn't work when you're grinding axes...

lotion said:
Hindsight's 20/20
Put the decisions in the context of what was going on and then critique him.

Which this article obviously was, as well as gloating. Waste of cyber space.

Ethan J. Skolnick in the Sun Sentinel wrote a much better and more objective article today. The Jury's still out on Rick, judge him in two years! Looks like Nick likes most of the players he's seeing so far. Who's been cut to date???

Last edited by a moderator:
Like I have said with the RB's, Linehan has an above average group of WR's and I think he's excited about the possibilities with these guys. There have been some players cut, no big names as of yet, but I think he'd rather evaluate everyone and then make his determination..

Does anyone else think that Howard and Poole were drafted and signed as Surtain and Madison's replacements? I know its crazy to think that teams might actually look a few years ahead... CB is a VERY hard position to learn in the NFL, so drafting a teams replacement a few years before they move isnt far fetched.

There are a lot of guys on this board, me included, who KNEW Surtain would not see his final year here under his contract and knew we could not afford to resign him. Therefore drafting Poole in the 4th was a GREAT move because we got 1st round talent in the 4th round AND a year to groom him behind 3 veterans before he would move into a starting role. There was a VERY good chance that before he got injured, he would have been our starting CB this year opposite of Madison. Therefore I think that the Poole drafting in the 4th was the best move Spielman made.

The Howard signing was a good signing, we just totally overpaid for him and signed him to a horrible contract. He played very well in Carolina the year before and I am led to believe he was thought to be Madison/Surtain's replacement also. Howard has one more year IMO to prove he is worth his salary.

Marty Booker is a VERY good receiver. If I am in the red zone, one play, and I need a TD, I look to Booker. He is a good posession WR and has the best hands on the team IMO. I think Marty Booker and a 3rd was a good trade for Ogun.... a player who I didnt think was so great and benefited from playing opposite of JT. Therefore I think that was a good trade. I would rather have Marty Booker and a 3rd over Ogun and his salary anyday. See this year how well Carter/Roth/Bowens play opposite of JT.....

Lamar Gordon trade and the AJ trade were horrible and desperation overpaying moves by RS and for me, thats what killed him. He was a good scout and personnel evaluator, but a horrible GM in negotiations.

NaplesJoe said:
Ethan J. Skolnick in the Sun Sentinel wrote a much better and more objective article today. The Jury's still out on Rick, judge him in two years! Looks like Nick likes most of the players he's seeing so far. Who's been cut to date???
Its a little too early for that..... wait until the 53 man roster is made.

I disagree with your assessment about Spielman as a talent evaluator. If we go back to Chicago and look at every draft he was involved in thru last year, the teams that relied on his expertise when they drafted were very mediocre drafters.

Yes no one bats 1000, but the teams he was involved with came no where near drafting with the leagues best like Baltimore for example.

The Dolphin drafts would probably rank in the bottom half of the league over the last 5 years. and he was head of our personnel department.

BeatCrazy2 said:
AMEN !

Very good article, anyone who disagree's has no concept of reality.

He forgot putting his opinions on spielman into context..It's simple like that bashing rick. All that could be read in here.

While some people say the Ogun trade was bad I differ. WE got Booker who many undervalue and a third. Stop calling it a third call it for what it is
"Channing Crowder". When you think of Booker and Crowder for Ogun it starts to look like a really good deal.

lotion said:
Hindsight's 20/20
Put the decisions in the context of what was going on and then critique him.

Smartest thing I have heard in this thread so far. Well maybe not smartest, there are some good posts in here lol.

Let's put things in perspective.

Ricky Williams quits. Spielman does nothing because he realizes that Gordon isn't worth the trade, plus there is no one else worth going after. How many of you would have been pleased if Spielman stuck with Morris and Minor? Nobody expected Morris to be decent for us. Maybe a couple.

Boston, who 90% of the fans on this site were excited about getting. Signs with some other team for more money and has a monster year. How any in here would have been complainging we didn't get Boston?

How many in here were complaining about Perry, McKinney, Ruddy and the contract of Wade? Now let's say he overpays for Wade. Let's say he keeps Ruddy and goes and spends that huge money on the OG that went to Chicago and then retired. How many of you would have been happy then? The fact is that he did what he needed to do with the line. He drafted a RG that was our best lineman last year and supposedly has locked down the RG position under Saban. He went and got Jeno James who was considered one of the top run blockers in the league. Hey we had Ricky at the time. He goes and drafts the precious LT that everyone critiscized Spielman for not overpaying for Tait on. He then goes out and gets what other coaches said was our most solid Lineman in our RT. The only true spot on the line he was lacking was Center.

Everyone wanted him to get a new QB. Brunell, Garcia all the QB'S available on the market showed why they were on the market last year. Anyone of those guys except maybe Collins would have killed our cap and probably been placed on IR by week 6. He wnet and spent a 2nd round pick on a guy who went 3-1 in the crucial time of the season to help the Eagles secure a playoff spot.

Now let's look at O-GUN. I want just one of you who are critiscizing him saying there were other offers to just show me a link anyhting showing a better offer. The fact is I am pretty sure that Houston offered us their 1st. The fact is that none of you can show a link that proves he was offered better. Boston went down and we now need a WR. We can't keep O-GUN at this point. How can anyone in their right mind critiscize a man who traded a pro bowler for a 3 time probowler and a 3rd round pick and say it was a bad deal?

Anyone that says Poole was a bad move once again doesn't know reality. Madison is aging and almost done. Surtain, many speculated even O-gun MENtioned it, that he would be gone this season anyway. Who better to take then a 1st round talent in the 4th. Madison for sure would be gone very soon. Surtain is having knee problems and you wanna critiscize a GM for getting a guy that most likely will need to start.

Reggie Howard. He helped anchor a secondary that got his team to the SB. The only thing you can argue is his contract not getting him at the time.

Lets say we now go get your precious Vincent Wilfork. Ok let's say that Bowens and Chester never get hurt. Wanny is known for not being too quick to play rookies unless he needs to. So all he would have done was sit the bench all season last year. If he drafts Wilfork last season and Chester and Bowens go on to play for 3 more seasons, he in essence was a wasted pick.

Hindsight will make everyone look smarter. But the fact of the matter is Spielman was in a lose lose situation. He did the best he could. Yes there are some things worth critiscizing, but under the circumstances he did what needed to be done. He got us a WR when we needed 1. He got us a RB when we needed 1. He got us a LT when we needed 1. He got us a QB when we needed 1. Out of everyone on the market and the draft position we had who else could he have gotten?

Basically those of you critiscizing his moves are basically implying you would have been happy had he just done nothing and drafted last season.

Back
Top Bottom