Commentary: Ricky’s return recalls Sanders’ abrupt departure | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Commentary: Ricky’s return recalls Sanders’ abrupt departure

1995 NE 368 1487 4.0
1996 NE 316 1152 3.6
1997 NE 274 1160 4.2
1998 NYJ 369 1287 3.5
1999 NYJ 367 1464 4.0
2000 NYJ 316 1204 3.8
2001 NYJ 333 1513 4.5
2002 NYJ 261 1094 4.2
2003 NYJ 323 1308 4.0
2004 NYJ 371 1697 4.6

aside from 01 and 04, MArtin has had a average career by your standards

dolphinman23 said:
1995 NE 368 1487 4.0
1996 NE 316 1152 3.6
1997 NE 274 1160 4.2
1998 NYJ 369 1287 3.5
1999 NYJ 367 1464 4.0
2000 NYJ 316 1204 3.8
2001 NYJ 333 1513 4.5
2002 NYJ 261 1094 4.2
2003 NYJ 323 1308 4.0
2004 NYJ 371 1697 4.6

:0wned:

dolphinman23 said:
1995 NE 368 1487 4.0
1996 NE 316 1152 3.6
1997 NE 274 1160 4.2
1998 NYJ 369 1287 3.5
1999 NYJ 367 1464 4.0
2000 NYJ 316 1204 3.8
2001 NYJ 333 1513 4.5
2002 NYJ 261 1094 4.2
2003 NYJ 323 1308 4.0
2004 NYJ 371 1697 4.6

almost 1,500 yds and a 4.0 YPC is average?

He's only had 3 average seasons, the rest have been above average or great.

phinphanphrommi said:
What are you talking about? He had 3 seasons of under 4.0 YPC and those were his medicore Ricky-type years. The rest of his career has been excellent. In some of the years his yardage was down but his YPC was still high enough and he was playing through tough injuries. Curtis is a HOFer, Ricky is not even in the HOF discussion.

TarHeelFinFan said:
Psychological or or chemical is irrelevant. Ricky was addicted to the stuff and risked everything just to smoke it. I don't want a burnout like that on my team.

Ricky didnt risk anything. He started smoking weed because he wanted to quit. He knew he would never take the drug test and just decided to do it. You can call it addicted if you want to but he wasnt. Addiction is where the body relies on something to function. A herion addict must use herion or else they get withdrawls. Even Caffeine and Nicotine have withdrawls, weed simply doesnt. He has said before weed isnt what made him quit. He quit under his own will and then the weed came.

TarHeelFinFan said:
I don't think you can compare Ricky's and Julius Peppers' suspensions. Ricky is addicted to weed, an illegal drug. Peppers took Sudafed cold medicine while he was battling illness, which happens to contain a small amount of a banned by the NFL stimulant.

Tar Heel Homer

nyjunc said:
What are you talking about? He had 3 seasons of under 4.0 YPC and those were his medicore Ricky-type years. The rest of his career has been excellent. In some of the years his yardage was down but his YPC was still high enough and he was playing through tough injuries. Curtis is a HOFer, Ricky is not even in the HOF discussion.

Saying that Martin faced a similiar situation last year is unbelievable. I would take Pennington throwing left handed anyday over Jay Fiedler. I really like Fiedler but the guy never took any pressure off the run game (probably had something to do with being injured) but it was pathetic. People knew Ricky was running at them on first and second down. They just stacked the line.

Ricky averaged

Tell me what is so much better about Martins numbers that he is a HOF and Ricky is trash? lets not forget that Ricky also played for the Saints. Or the fact that the Oline two years ago was bad. When Ricky got 4.8 he had a decent Oliine and a quarterback that made just enough throws, we missed the playoffs but we had the same record as the Jets. We were top of the AFC with ust two weeks remaining. Ricky is a game changer, not just because he is a dolphin, but fact is when he was healthy he was dangerous. Martin despite being consistent I have never been afraid of him, and to tell you the truth I dont think many teams are. He is just consistent. Dont ever compare Martins situation to Rickys last year. Better Oline, Better Coach, Better QB.

nyjunc said:

Ricky had injury trouble as well... otherwise his stats would have been much better... and hence his sub 1k yard season.

Over his career, he's averaged 1270 yards and a 4.0 YPC. If you consider that his first two years he missed 8 games... that's quite impressive. The last 3 he's been injury free, and has posted 1490 yards/season and a 4.1 YPC average.

The great Curtis Martin in contrast has a 4.1 YPC career average and has averaged 1336 yards / season.

So lets see... 1270 and 4.0 is average yet 1336 and 4.1 is HOF calibur super spectacular awesome.

I smells me a little bias. :yes:

The other point in the Martin-Williams comparison that has already been alluded to, but which bears repeating, is that the Jets have had markedly better quarterback play during the Martin era than the Dolphins have. That's not to detract from Martin, whom I do believe is a fairly solid HOF candidate. But it skews statistical comparisons with Ricky.

Look at Pennington's completion percentage in the time Ricky was with Miami and compare iot to our QBs, and you'll see just what I mean.

So can we dump this comparison and go back to bashing me for my article? :lol:

Saying that Martin faced a similiar situation last year is unbelievable. I would take Pennington throwing left handed anyday over Jay Fiedler. I really like Fiedler but the guy never took any pressure off the run game (probably had something to do with being injured) but it was pathetic. People knew Ricky was running at them on first and second down. They just stacked the line.

Maybe not for the whole season but for at leats half of it, teams did not respect our passing game. If you don't agree w/ last year you have to agree w/ '01. Jay '03 had a better year than Vinny '01, we could NOT throw the ball all year.

Tell me what is so much better about Martins numbers that he is a HOF and Ricky is trash?

I never said Ricky was trash but he hasn't had near the career Curtis has had. Curtis is one of only 2 players to rush for at least 1,000 yards in his first 10 seasons(Barry was the other), Curtis has led the league in rushing, he's also the #4 all time rusher right now and climbing.

lets not forget that Ricky also played for the Saints.

What does that mean? Ricky's 3 years in NO his high yardage year was 1,245 and his high YPC was 4.0. Since then Deuce's high was 1,641 yds and his LOW was 4.0(last year when he was playing hurt).

When Ricky got 4.8 he had a decent Oliine and a quarterback that made just enough throws,

really? What changed from '02 to '03 at QB and on the OL? You actually got BETTER at QB b/c Ray Lucas didn't play like he did for 6 games in '02 yet he was great in '02 and mediocre in '03.

We were top of the AFC with ust two weeks remaining.

And you were healthy yet you lost the last 2 and the Jets won the last 2 and we won the division.

Martin despite being consistent I have never been afraid of him, and to tell you the truth I dont think many teams are.

I don't disgaree(well totally). At their peak ability Ricky has alot more talent but Curtis outworks him and that's why he's had a HOF career while Ricky wasted his talent.

DrAstroZoom said:
The other point in the Martin-Williams comparison that has already been alluded to, but which bears repeating, is that the Jets have had markedly better quarterback play during the Martin era than the Dolphins have. That's not to detract from Martin, whom I do believe is a fairly solid HOF candidate. But it skews statistical comparisons with Ricky.

Look at Pennington's completion percentage in the time Ricky was with Miami and compare iot to our QBs, and you'll see just what I mean.

Sorry Doc... call me a defender of truth, but I can't let someone spread false information... even if it is way off topic. :wink:

phinphanphrommi said:
Ricky had injury trouble as well... otherwise his stats would have been much better... and hence his sub 1k yard season.

Over his career, he's averaged 1270 yards and a 4.0 YPC. If you consider that his first two years he missed 8 games... that's quite impressive. The last 3 he's been injury free, and has posted 1490 yards/season and a 4.1 YPC average.

The great Curtis Martin in contrast has a 4.1 YPC career average and has averaged 1336 yards / season.

So lets see... 1270 and 4.0 is average yet 1336 and 4.1 is HOF calibur super spectacular awesome.

I smells me a little bias. :yes:

Curtis has done it for 10 years, Ricky's #s were based on 5 years. Ricky has finished in the top 10 in rushing 3 times, Curtis 7 times, Curtis averags more TDs per year, Curtis has been in the top 10 in rush TDs 6 times while Ricky just once. Bias? No these are facts, Curtis is a HOFer, Ricky is not even in the discussion.

DrAstroZoom said:

Don't forget we had Rick Mirer/Ray Lucas in '99 and Vinny in '00 nhad 25 INts while Vinny '02 didn't have a 200 yd game until Week 16.

nyjunc said:
Curtis has done it for 10 years, Ricky's #s were based on 5 years. Ricky has finished in the top 10 in rushing 3 times, Curtis 7 times, Curtis averags more TDs per year, Curtis has been in the top 10 in rush TDs 6 times while Ricky just once. Bias? No these are facts, Curtis is a HOFer, Ricky is not even in the discussion.

Ricky isn't in the discussion due to length of career... not lack of stats or measureables as you are insinuating.

nyjunc said:
Don't forget we had Rick Mirer/Ray Lucas in '99 and Vinny in '00 nhad 25 INts while Vinny '02 didn't have a 200 yd game until Week 16.

I really don't want to talk about Curtis Martin anymore. Curtis Martin is great. Ok. Done.

Back
Top Bottom