Commentary: Ricky’s return recalls Sanders’ abrupt departure | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Commentary: Ricky’s return recalls Sanders’ abrupt departure

Muck said:
Just my opinion here. But I think the "weed apologist" sentiment is indicative of regular use.

It may or may not be addictive. I wouldn't know because I don't bother with that stuff (though anything can be addictive IMO). But it can, and often does, lead to the use of other drugs.

You hit the nail on the head Muck, it leads to much more dangerous drugs. While I"m still considered an "apologist", I haven't smoked in more than 8 years. Not once did I ever have withdrawel symptoms, although times, I do miss it. It was just a recreational drug, very mellow. I would discourage young kids from using it though. MOst (majority) of kids get bored and move onto other drugs like ecxtasy, which then ruins their lives, and is quite toxic.

Great article!!!

Well done Doc. I agree with everythign 100%. I welcome Ricky back.

Off topic but I just have to share this

I am on day 10 as a nonsmoker. I have QUIT smoking (cigarettes)! woo-hoo!!!!!!!!! I ROCK!!!!!!!!!!

...now back to the ladies lounge.

DrAstroZoom said:
You are never going to convince me a healthy RW is just average. In his only three full seasons, Ricky was in the league-wide top 10 in # of rushes, rushing yards and yards from scrimmage. Not average.

EDIT to include " a healthy."

First off he's been healthy all of his career except '99 & '00 and he didn't have nagging injuries he had injuries that ended his season late in the year so his #s can be used(at least his YPC). Ricky played 16 games in '01, '02 & '03 and in those years he was # 8 & 10 in 2 of those 3 in rushing yards- is that great? and he was 10th in rushing yard yet first in attempts in '03. The man has been healthy enough, he had ONE great season and the rest were pretyy average.

nyjunc said:
First off he's been healthy all of his career except '99 & '00 and he didn't have nagging injuries he had injuries that ended his season late in the year so his #s can be used(at least his YPC). Ricky played 16 games in '01, '02 & '03 and in those years he was # 8 & 10 in 2 of those 3 in rushing yards- is that great? and he was 10th in rushing yard yet first in attempts in '03. The man has been healthy enough, he had ONE great season and the rest were pretyy average.

His averages have been compareable to running backs whom other people have identified as "great" and "HOF" calibur. To say that this fact is null and void simply because of his standings relative to other runningbacks is foolish. If 4 other people had a 2000 yard season, and Ricky were to finish with 1800... does that make his season any less spectacular? The only thing that makes Ricky "average" is that he has performed to his current level for only a very short period of time. If Ricky were to perform at this level for many more years (nearly impossibe for him now) he would be on par, if not better than "other" runningbacks.

Food for thought:

LaDanian Tomlinson - 1474 Yards Per Year, 4.3 ypc average

Ricky Williams (3 full years) 1490, 4.1 ypc average

Does Tomlinson also get labeled average, or is he spared because he's not a Dolphin?

phinphanphrommi said:
Food for thought:

LaDanian Tomlinson - 1474 Yards Per Year, 4.3 ypc average

Ricky Williams (3 full years) 1490, 4.1 ypc average

Does Tomlinson also get labeled average, or is he spared because he's not a Dolphin?

In 4 years for LT(compared to 5 for Ricky) LT has 13 more rush TDs and his YPC is .3 better which is a significant difference PLUS he's also a great receiver out of the backfield. Please don't compare him to LT.

The bottom line is Ricky had 1 great year and a bunch of other average-slightly above avg years.

nyjunc,

Please. You are making yourself look like a blinded knucklehead. RopeWeed used to be a outstanding RB. I know the mindset because I used to be that way about Curtis Martin; there's nothing he does that looks that impressive as far as moves, speed, whatever, but somehow he always gets his yards and I had to realize that despite his lack of anything spectacular that stood out about him, the consistent way he piled up the yardage spoke for itself. Now, quit being in denial and forget this argument because you're losing just like you lost on the one about "the NFL doesn't lose $ from RW not playing".

Agua said:
nyjunc,

Please. You are making yourself look like a blinded knucklehead. RopeWeed used to be a outstanding RB. I know the mindset because I used to be that way about Curtis Martin; there's nothing he does that looks that impressive as far as moves, speed, whatever, but somehow he always gets his yards and I had to realize that despite his lack of anything spectacular that stood out about him, the consistent way he piled up the yardage spoke for itself. Now, quit being in denial and forget this argument because you're losing just like you lost on the one about "the NFL doesn't lose $ from RW not playing".

I can't help you anymore, I showed you the facts and if you want to ignore them then that's your problem. The man has had 1 outstanding season and a few other average seasons. Those are the facts, the #s back that up.

nyjunc said:
I can't help you anymore, I showed you the facts and if you want to ignore them then that's your problem. The man has had 1 outstanding season and a few other average seasons. Those are the facts, the #s back that up.

I don't really understand the jist of everything you're saying. Are you saying that Ricky isn't that great when he played and this is all hype? He had one good year but he sucks overall? You arent the least bit worried about a backfield with Ricky and Ronnie?

Don't get me wrong I love arguing with jets fans, and have been doing it my whole life. But basically saying who cares if ricky comes back he sucks is just plain wrong. If he comes back to original form, he will be a force and you know it.

I don't know what it is he's trying to say. He's seems to be creating some sort of shifting standard as to what constitutes an outstanding back that only applies in seasons where Ricky doesn't meet that standard, but is inapplicable when he does.

I don't really understand the jist of everything you're saying. Are you saying that Ricky isn't that great when he played and this is all hype? He had one good year but he sucks overall? You arent the least bit worried about a backfield with Ricky and Ronnie?

Allow me to clarify. I never said Ricky sucked. I said he had 1 great(all-time great) season and his other 4 years were just average. as a total body of work his career has been above average but NOT great. He has a combo of size, power, speed and quickness that few players have ever possessed BUT he has not utilized that talent except for 1 year.

No I am not worried at all about Ricky and Ronnie in the backfield. First off I don't think Ricky will ever play in a reg season game again for the dolphins BUT if I am wrong I don't think Ricky will be effective. He has lost his desire to play, you don't just get that back like that. W/ a year off and no working out in that year that is a HUGE detrminet to his coming back and being effective. The man has serious issues, he has mental problems and he has drug problems. Let me say I was very nervous when you first cquired him even though he hadn't been great to that point in his career BUT this time I have absolutely no worries.

Don't get me wrong I love arguing with jets fans, and have been doing it my whole life. But basically saying who cares if ricky comes back he sucks is just plain wrong. If he comes back to original form, he will be a force and you know it.

I never said he sucked. IF he comes back and plays at his peak then I agree he'll be great but he hasn't played long enough at his peak and now has a year off so I feel pretty confident we won't see '02 Ricky ever again.

I don't know what it is he's trying to say. He's seems to be creating some sort of shifting standard as to what constitutes an outstanding back that only applies in seasons where Ricky doesn't meet that standard, but is inapplicable when he does.

What are you talking about? Are you telling me he was great in '99,'00,'01 and/or '03? Are you telling me he was a top back in those seasons?

nyjunc said:
Allow me to clarify. I never said Ricky sucked. I said he had 1 great(all-time great) season and his other 4 years were just average. as a total body of work his career has been above average but NOT great. He has a combo of size, power, speed and quickness that few players have ever possessed BUT he has not utilized that talent except for 1 year.

No I am not worried at all about Ricky and Ronnie in the backfield. First off I don't think Ricky will ever play in a reg season game again for the dolphins BUT if I am wrong I don't think Ricky will be effective. He has lost his desire to play, you don't just get that back like that. W/ a year off and no working out in that year that is a HUGE detrminet to his coming back and being effective. The man has serious issues, he has mental problems and he has drug problems. Let me say I was very nervous when you first cquired him even though he hadn't been great to that point in his career BUT this time I have absolutely no worries.
seasons?

Ok, I hear everything you said. But whenever he is in the backfield, if and when, defenses will pay very close attenton to him b/c they know what he is capable of. you and the jets D knows more than anyone.

Oh and the jets suck. :lol: Had to keep the love spreading

Back
Top Bottom