Commentary: Ricky’s return recalls Sanders’ abrupt departure | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Commentary: Ricky’s return recalls Sanders’ abrupt departure

DrAstroZoom said:
I really don't want to talk about Curtis Martin anymore. Curtis Martin is great. Ok. Done.

:yeahthat:

phinphanphrommi said:
Ricky isn't in the discussion due to length of career... not lack of stats or measureables as you are insinuating.

In 2002 he had an all-time great year but his other years are just average.

:shakeno:

Yes you're right... Ricky sucks, Martin is god. We get it, we get it... Ricky only had 1 super year and was average the rest... Martin had two and was average the rest. Martin > Ricky. Welcome to JetHeaven.

Anyhow... back on topic:

I didn't move to Detroit until early 2000, but I must say that the atmosphere around here is still very "what if" regarding Barry. The area was very anti-Barry (just as Miami is very anti-Ricky) for several years, and I'd say it wasn't until last year that the negative attitude towards him really cleared. Now it is predominatly a "what if" atmosphere... wishing that he hadn't left. I'm just glad that we don't have to go through that with Ricky. Though I do already have a bit of a "what if" feeling regarding what might have happened had he not fallen out of the good graces of his many fans... but I temper that with the knowledge that had he stayed... there's a much, much greater chance that Wanny would still be coaching.

nyjunc said:
In 2002 he had an all-time great year but his other years are just average.

You are never going to convince me a healthy RW is just average. In his only three full seasons, Ricky was in the league-wide top 10 in # of rushes, rushing yards and yards from scrimmage. Not average.

EDIT to include " a healthy."

Sulamar said:
Weed isn't addictive. People do it because they want to. They don't feel the need to like someone would with an addiction to Cocain, Herion, or even Cigarettes.

I work with teenagers who have drug abuse issues. Perhaps you would like to ask them if it is not addictive. I think that you may change your tune.

Wasn't Barry wanting to get out of Detroit? I could have sworn he asked to be traded and they turned him down. I thought I remembered him saying he wanted to be traded to a contender. Was long ago so I can't remember.

But if the above is true, then it was Detroits fault for not getting value for him by trading him. So long ago, hard to remember heh.

Gitrdone said:
Wasn't Barry wanting to get out of Detroit? I could have sworn he asked to be traded and they turned him down. I thought I remembered him saying he wanted to be traded to a contender. Was long ago so I can't remember.

But if the above is true, then it was Detroits fault for not getting value for him by trading him. So long ago, hard to remember heh.

Barry did indeed want to go elsewhere... He retired due to frustration with the team, and lack of hope of being competetive. That is why I personally don't fault Barry for his actions, and is also why I give Ricky some slack.

Gitrdone said:

He made that argument, but it rings a little hollow when you consider the team went to the playoffs the year before he retired.

Another note: Sanders all but disappeared in the playoffs. In six postseason games, he had all of one TD and one 100-yard game.

DrAstroZoom said:
He made that argument, but it rings a little hollow when you consider the team went to the playoffs the year before he retired.

Another note: Sanders all but disappeared in the playoffs. In six postseason games, he had all of one TD and one 100-yard game.

That is true Doc, but I think you need to consider his prospective in that they were making moves consistant with going from the championship game, to getting worse and worse each year. Actually... it sounds very similar to the DW downward spiral.

i still remember that one year on thanksgiving when he ran for like 200 yds or something crazy, is was in 98 or 97, i remember thinking, im watching the best HB ever, then he upped and retired, leaving his legacy to a big "what if"

Gitrdone said:

thats true, detroit should have traded him and they would have gotten a load of talent but instead they let him rot. Detroit lost out big time...

Scrap said:
Barry didn't fail drug tests before retiring. Ricky did. Barry didn't make a negative issue of it, the way Ricky did either.

I see the similarities, but the differences are glaring, imo.

Barry was a class act. Ricky ? He was Ricky.

I've already said I've forgiven him. I don't want to compare him to Barry though.

Barry's in the HOF!
Ricky's not!

Sulamar said:
Age clearly doesn't show wisdow here.

How is it a fact that since I made that remark suggest I smoke weed? Is it because I am up on my facts and not believing all the government agency's war on drugs statements.

In this case, age clearly shows WISDOM. Secondly, you are not up on your facts. I am a critical care physician and have taken care of numerous marijuana addicts. You are out of your league here sonny.

jlfin said:
In this case, age clearly shows WISDOM. Secondly, you are not up on your facts. I am a critical care physician and have taken care of numerous marijuana addicts. You are out of your league here sonny.
Dope addicts, come on???:shakeno: What did they get a critical case of the munchies or something???:lol:

Back
Top Bottom