Conversations you've had with fins players... | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Conversations you've had with fins players...

I've met Daryl Gardiner at a Club Med in the Caribbean. I was at the bar with a few buddies and directly across from me was Daryl. I nudged my friend and told him thats Daryl Gardiner he plays for the Fins lets go up to him. So we both walk up to him and he's there chatting to this chick he's with. So we strike up a convo and make some small talk and next thing we know he's buying us shots and we're laughing it up. I don't think we talked about football for more than 2 mins. He's really a funny character...next thing I know that Ja Rule and Ashanti tune "Whats Love" comes on and he pulls his girlfriend out on the dancefloor and starts waving his arms around like a madman (i guess he was trying to dance). It was freakin hilarious.

I've also seen Z Thomas at the Blue Martini, a club at Cityplace in West Palm. I tried talking to him but he kinda gave me the cold shoulder...he was pissed at the girl he came with or something.

I've met several Fins over the years...the best and worst were two conversations I had with Dan Marino...the first was 1987, during the offseason, I ran into him in club in Atlanta...he was a little drunk I guess (so was I) but I went up to him and told him I was a Fins fan, lived in Miami and thought he was a great QB and wouldn't bother him anymore..thanked him and started to leave. He said "F--- you! I know I'm the best QB in the league...Leave me alone." I just shrugged it off as him being a little intoxicated...but it bothered me later on as I thought about it...

Then in 1992, I ran into him at a Pro-Am United Way golf tournament...(I was driving the beer cart)...I told him that I thought he was the best QB of all time and that he was personally responsible for 3-4 victories every year, that w/o him we'd be a mediocre team at best. He said that I was crazy thinking like that. Football was about the 22 starters working together, not about one or two individuals. He also said in the conversation that coaching was just as important part of football and that he was blessed to have Shues as his coach. He said that even tho the talent level as not where you would like it to be, that Coach could make winners out of them..We talked football for about 10 minutes...he was even being called to take his shot and he waited until we were done our conversation.... (BTW, Shula was not at this tournament). He was really cool (probably a little intoxicated, as was I) but completely different from the previous meeting... Very down to earth guy. I regained a lot of respect for him (as a person) after that.

I have met others as well thru the years, but those were the most memorable.

CCMiamiDolphins said:
Sounds like Zach isnt that nice of a guy from what 2 people said.

He is a nice guy. My dad used to work at a restaurant where Zach once went to. Zach and his girlfriend thanked my dad for his service. He even signed an autograph for the owner of the restaurant.

My dad also met Trace Armstrong (nice guy) and Dan Marino (not so nice, but who knows).

I almost forgot...I know he's not a Fin (although I wish he was), but another guy I've met was John Lynch who is a REALLY nice guy. I met him at airport baggage claim as I was coming home (I live on an island in the Caribbean), and he and his wife were visiting on vacation. This was the offseason after the Bucs won the Super Bowl. I congratulated him on winning the big one and everything and gave him my card (I own a car rental agency) and told him if ever he needed to rent a car and see the island, give me a call. He never did rent that car but it was great talking with him and fun shooting the breeze as we waited for our bags at the carousel. Him and his wife are very nice people, very classy.

JT, Zach, Fielder, RW and some rookies were eating at Cafe Martarano in Lauderdale after a mini camp (RW's first year). My table was next to theirs, and I've known Zach and JT fairly well since they were rookies (we aren't friends but they would recognize me on the street). So Zach & I are messing around. He steals some appetizers off of my table, so I sat at his place and started chatting with the rookies (I dont recall any of them now, they must not have made the team) when I noticed JT was checking out my g/f at the time. His wife, Zach's sister was at the table. So I started giving her the eyeballs. She immediatley realized what was going on, and wasn't too pleased. JT's a good enough guy, that stuff just happens sometimes. Anyhow, the good part of my story... So I wanted to welcome RW to south florida and let him know I had high hopes for him. We talked for a few minutes, and it was plain to see his social disfunction. He was very nervous talking to me. I was re-assuring him that here in south florida, celebrity is no big deal. He'd be able to fit in just fine. He seemed to like that. But he was definitely a strange bird. People at this restaurant dance at the tables and carry on. RW was with his date (a rather unattractive girl considering these are pro athletes) and was attempting to dance with her. So my g/f goes up to them both, grabs her, grabs RW and pulls them close together. Says that's how you do it. I thought he was going to cry. Poor guy. Fun night, and Zach still owes me a plate of calamari.

Swear to god, I alse was at the urinal next to Marino at Davie Ale House about 7 years ago. Just me and Marino in the bathroom. I think to myself, this guy probably expects me to ask for his autograph, hassle him, look him up and down. So I figure I'll act like I don't even know him at all. Peeing at the urinal, straight forward (Marino might have been checking me out, perv). Go to wash my hands, he's washing his at the next sink. Now he's really shocked I'm ignoring him. Right as I'm about to leave, Dan Marino asks me "Do I know you from somewhere?". I said "don't think so" and walked out. True story.

I was a sports journalist for a small Upstate NY newspaper about eight-nine years ago, which gave me access to a couple of Dolphins and one Bill. All I ever did was cover small-time High School crap, but towards the end of the '96 season I asked if I could request a press pass for the Dolphins-Jets game. The 1-14 Jets were happy that any media showed up, so I got the pass. After taking in the Dolphins win, I did my thing and interviewed some Jets w/ everyone else - but then I snuck over to the Dolphins locker room. I saw all kinds of players, but I ended up interviewing Zach (the rookie) one-on-one for about 20 minutes. I was intrigued that he was the same size as me, but could star in the NFL. He was totally cool and laid back - he was dressed in jeans and a flannel shirt and was the kind of guy you would want to throw back a few beers with and BS all night. We then walked through the tunnel on the way to the bus, and when we got outside, I asked him to sign my biz card. I'm looking at it right now above my desk! I'm still shocked this guy is so good after all these years. He really is small!! Not just NFL small - like regular-guy small!

Also interviewed Irving Fryar when he came through town to preach the summer before he joined the Eagles. He told me he was very much looking forward to playing the Dolphins that season ('96). As I remember it, he torched us for four TDs that game! Really nice guy! I have a picture of myself with him as well that someone took after I interviewed him.

The next year ('97) I interviewed Jim Kelly as he came through town to appear at the local county's sports banquet as the guest of honor. He had just retired. I, again, interviewed him and when it came up that I was a Dolphins fan, he told me he felt sorry for me. He also mentioned that his favorite away place to play was "Rich Stadium South" - Joe Robbie Stadium. Dude was huge too. I also have a pic with him and he towers over me. I can't believe that guy was ever sacked!

That's about it. I got B. Cox' autograph once and I congratulated him on making it to the pro bowl and he said "Thanks."

The only conversation I ever had w/ any player was w/ RW. All he said was "pass the bong" end of story.

I met Brendon Ayanbedjo the Sunday before the MNF win against the Pats. He joked with me (I was wearing a Zach Thomas jersey) that I needed to gain some weight and suit up at LB because we were extremly thin at LB for that game. We talked about this being his first start, and that he was pretty nervous about it. He ended up having a great game, and that big INT at toward the end that set us up for the go ahead score. I am going to send the pic below to him and see if he will sign it. Very nice guy....talked for 30 minutes probably at our hotel.

clear.gif

I've got two...

A few years ago(2000 I think)at Bongo's here in Miami, Jason was there with Kenny Mixon...Well, as I was walking up the stairs with my wife there's this really tall guy blocking the way..so I kinda put my arm on his back trying to get him to move a bit...dude turns around to see who's pushing him (I wasn't pushing him hard or anything) and as I look up, its Jason...I say excuse me..and he moves aside. I bumped into him with Kenny again later in the bathroom...They were toasted...cracking jokes about some chick...can't really post what was being said but lets just say it was before JT was married to Zach's sister.

Also...back in 99 (Again, I think) I'm in an elevator in a building in Miami Lakes and in walks a behemoth of a man...Richmond Webb...That was the year he was either holding out or there was some kind of contract issue going on with him...I asked him when he was going to sign and that we needed him back...he told me that the contract issue should be taken care of that day...The next day, it was announced that it had been.

Both of those guys were really cool.

Good stories about meeting some Fins...

I have three stories, 2 of mine and one from a friend who I was with when it happened...

The first is my friend's story - we were at the Hootie and the Blowfish Monday after the Masters in 1996 I believe and Marino was there. After chasing Dan for most of the morning trying to get close to him, my friend finally snuck up close and got Dan's attention. He told him "Mr. Marino, I don't want your autograph and please forgive me for bothering you, but you are the greatest quarterback ever and I love watching you play. I just had to come over here and tell you that before I lost my chance." He said Dan turned to him, smiled, and shook his hand appreciatively and said "Thanks, I really appreciate that." I was across the green from my friend when this happened and saw it, only I couldn't hear what was said, he told me afterward. He was so awe struck at first that I laughed my butt off.

Next was at a charity baseball game here in Columbia, SC against some firefighters where the pro team had a lot of ex-Dolphins on it. The one I remember was (James) Pruitt (WR from the 80s). I was wearing my Marino jersey and he asked me "You like Dan Marino huh?" and I replied jokingly "Yeah, he's pretty good." Pruitt looked at me and as serious as he could, he replied, "Man, he's D*NG GOOD!" as he was signing an autograph for me. Pretty cool guy.

The last was at the Hootie pro-am a few years later...I met Jason Taylor. He is ONE BIG DUDE. We exchanged a few words...I think I remember asking him "Are you going to get those Jets this year?" and he replied "Count on it." or something like that. He was real nice about signing autos too, and even waited to talk to us before taking his next shot.

Griese

Back around 1979 when I was a kid I called the Dolphin's team hotel in Buffalo the night before a game and asked for Bob Griese's room and the operator put me through and sure enough Griese picked it up. I didn't know what to say and the first thing I said was, "Are you going to start tomorrow?". He was like, "Who is this?"

But we went on and had a short conversation and he was nice to me and all. He asked what my dad did, who my favorite player was (him of course), etc. I asked him again later if he was going to start tomorrow and he said in a low voice, "No, Don is." But Bob came in for Strock in that game or the next week's game and brought the team back for a win and regained his spot I believe. So, all in all it was a pretty cool experience to talk to my sports hero on the phone like that as a little kid. I've even got it taped.

I called him the next season in Baltimore also and had another conversation with him. I have to say he was a pretty nice guy.

ONce on South Beach...Me and 2 of my boys were walking down Ocean Drive like at 1 am (pretty drunk)..IT was a SUnday so we weren't trying to make it too much of a late night. As we were walking back to the car I see this big guy with dreadlocks coming up right in front of me. I had to do a Double Take cause I wasn't sure it was him, but it was Ricky WIlliams... This was the year he lead the league in rushing. As soon as I noticed it was him, I said, "woah..RIcky! SUp, man?!" and I extended my hand...THe guy acted like I wasn't even there. Like he didn't see me or hear me. He turned his head away and grabbed his bike and started getting on it. I looked back at my boys with a disbelief type of face. Couldn't believe he just completely ignored me. It wasn't like there were hundreds of people around. I just said it quietly so as not to bring too much attention to him as I'm sure he gets sick of it. As he got on the bike and started peddling away, the drunkness in me kicked in and I shouted , "aww, f**k you, then! P*$$Y!!" He didnt even turn around. We all agreed that he's a bia for pulling that one.

Back
Top Bottom