Could Fins go heavy on D early? | Page 13 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Could Fins go heavy on D early?

I'd think, Parsons has to be in serious consideration at #6. No matter what most fans believe or want. Once Fuller was signed, as an ideal deep threat, who also gets separation and can be franchised next year, if Miami feels the need to keep him. Add it all up and you could make a serious argument for a defensive player at both #6 and potentially at #18.

The LB unit wasn't very good at stopping anything last season, outside of the occasional big play. While Mckinney appears to be an upgrade, he's not in Parsons, league.

Also keep in mind of the offensive kids from the senior bowl, who Miami has good insite on as potential draftees, Miami targets throughout the draft, because of developmental capabilities.

This obviously is my opinion of course. Connecting the dots pre draft is always fun. Lots of speculation. I'm not completely sold they'll go WR at #6?
My question is...in that scenario -- wouldn't Parsons be on the board @12?
If we do take Parsons @6 -- we effectively gave up 2 R1s for him -- 21 and 22

If you take parsons at 6 and understand I don’t think it will happen it’s cause you wanted to be in front of Detroit who has a massive off ball Mike lb starting hole right now.

if I’m Detroit and I can get at 7 parsons and at say 39 Elijah moore over waddle at 7 and jamin Davis at 39 for similar ask I’m not even thinking twice about which route I’d prefer.

My question is...in that scenario -- wouldn't Parsons be on the board @12?
If we do take Parsons @6 -- we effectively gave up 2 R1s for him -- 21 and 22
Not necessarily. Parsons has apparently regained his footing as a top 5-10 pick with his pro day performance. Both Detroit and Dallas are believed to be seriously interested. Parsons got overlooked due to his opt out and off field stuff, but seems to have bounced back.

As time goes on and after the weirdness (IMO) and low yield of the trade down from 3 to 6 (with a momentary stop at 12)
I'm certainly not sure the org has a clear cut plan -- more fly by the seat of the pants. Also find it "interesting" there was NO presser about the trade --- no "official" explanation or attempt at explaining/justifying. I don't like that kind of BS where there's ZERO accountability (in the immediate sense) for a very significant development like that. Obviously the org believes they have nothing to justify and/or explain. I can certainly see them crowing after the draft that whatever/whoever happens @6 was their plan all along. Meanwhile the horrible value of the trade is not getting challenged at all.
I'm not sure what you mean by "challenged".

Challenged by whom? The media? The fans? Accountable to who? The public?

The only ppl to whom they are accountable are the shareholders of the organization.

You may not like it, but that's the way it is.

Now, if they end up as bottom dwellers for several consecutive years, and it starts affecting the bottom line, changes will be made.

For now, this organization does as little explanation as possible.

It’s possible Detroit will bypass any character concerns anyways. Cant rule that out. I don’t see Miami being willing to do similar. It’s gonna either be green light or stay away with parsons for us imo.

and maybe the mckinney trade gave you your answer there.

I sure hope they got that character decision right if it is it. Otherwise 🤦‍♂️

As long as we get an elite pass catcher at 6, I'm fine with defense at 18 and 36. Our defense was effective last year because of Flo outwitting offensive coordinators with smoke and mirrors. That's great and will continue to help us moving forward, but we still need to keep adding talent.
I likey, but you eventually have to score points to compete and keep the D on the sideline to catch their breath every once in a while. That a lot what happened last year, IMHO...

It’s possible Detroit will bypass any character concerns anyways. Cant rule that out. I don’t see Miami being willing to do similar. It’s gonna either be green light or stay away with parsons for us imo.

and maybe the mckinney trade gave you your answer there.

I sure hope they got that character decision right if it is it. Otherwise 🤦‍♂️
I agree. Miami has to be right on Parsons, or else it'll end badly. He's apparently owned up and taken responsibility. Hopefully that's got him on the right track. If not, he'll be out of the NFL.

dont worry boss. This team thinks too far inside the box so if I had to guess we will end up with devonta smith, Najee harris, zaven Collins and either creed humphrey or Landon Dickerson first 2 days worth of picks. And this place will be happy as clams even if you cause you think so far in the box as a organization passed up some higher level upgrades/talents to what you already had in the building in the process.

And truth be known I like all 4 players I’m just not settling for what I have in house at some positions when there are legit massive long term and in some cases short term even upgrades staring you in the face in this draft.
WR & RB remain huge needs IMO.. along with edge, Center, FS..
A draft which includes Smith, Harris, Humphrey goes long way towards plugging holes..

WR & RB remain huge needs IMO.. along with edge, Center, FS..
A draft which includes Smith, Harris, Humphrey goes long way towards plugging holes..

I agree it would no doubt. But that’s not my point. Bypassing premium talents cause you have incumbents that don’t move the needle when there are options in the draft that do is what I call thinking inside the box. check your pm 👍

I'm not sure what you mean by "challenged".

Challenged by whom? The media? The fans? Accountable to who? The public?

The only ppl to whom they are accountable are the shareholders of the organization.

You may not like it, but that's the way it is.

Now, if they end up as bottom dwellers for several consecutive years, and it starts affecting the bottom line, changes will be made.

For now, this organization does as little explanation as possible.
Specifically critically evaluated in the media.

And I get the CIA (CYA) secrecy. Don't like it.

I agree it would no doubt. But that’s not my point. Bypassing premium talents cause you have incumbents that don’t move the needle when there are options in the draft that do is what I call thinking inside the box. check your pm 👍
I tend to agree as it related to last years draft ex. Austin Jackson was a reach to fill a need.
At #5- you won’t hear a complaint from me Pitts Smith or Chase.
At #18 - this is where I struggle- I like the 2 top RBs but usually against Rd1 RBs. Exception here? Depends.. Parsons or top 3 WR (if Pitts at 6) over RB..
I don’t love any of the edge
Maybe Collins.. maybe DT

Maybe it's just me, but I'm thinking the Fins could surprise and go D with more of their high picks than we expect. What would you think of something like this?

6 - D. Smith
18 - Paye or Jaelan Phillips (Edge)
36 - Elijah Molden (S/CB)
50 - Jabril Cox or Baron Browning (LB)
81 - Gainwell, K. Hill, or T. Sermon
156 - OL depth like Aaron Banks (?)

The Fins may figure with a clean bill of health and a complete offseason from Tua, he should improve along with a young OL that started 3 rookies.

You'd have WR Fuller/Parker/DeVonta, TE Gesicki, and Gainwell (or other rookie) / Gaskin.

The D last year was solid overall, but it was very opportunistic and probably not as good as we thought. Buffalo pretty much exposed it twice last season and that's the team we need to beat. This kind of draft would improve both sides of the ball and give Miami a better shot of dealing with Buffalo I think.
Number one mission for FO is set Tua up for success full stop. They passed on Herbert, spent 5th overall pick last year on Tua, now they have to do everything they can as their highest priority to set him up for success And this draft’s cream is on the offensive side of the ball. Edge rushers in this draft might be the weakest position. There is strength at Oline, WR, & RB (all massive positions of need so it favors our needs this year which is great) and a freak at TE who we may have a shot at. That’s where they will focus their attention if they want to ensure the best chance of keeping their jobs.

I agree. Miami has to be right on Parsons, or else it'll end badly. He's apparently owned up and taken responsibility. Hopefully that's got him on the right track. If not, he'll be out of the NFL.
If Miami goes Parsons at #6, who do you think is the target at #18? I think that's a little early for Elijah Moore, but that would be a nice start to the draft .

I tend to agree as it related to last years draft ex. Austin Jackson was a reach to fill a need.
At #5- you won’t hear a complaint from me Pitts Smith or Chase.
At #18 - this is where I struggle- I like the 2 top RBs but usually against Rd1 RBs. Exception here? Depends.. Parsons or top 3 WR (if Pitts at 6) over RB..
I don’t love any of the edge
Maybe Collins.. maybe DT
I think #18 is where you take best pass rusher on your board. Paye, Oweh, Basham, Rousseau, Tryon, Phillips etc.

Maybe it's just me, but I'm thinking the Fins could surprise and go D with more of their high picks than we expect. What would you think of something like this?

6 - D. Smith
18 - Paye or Jaelan Phillips (Edge)
36 - Elijah Molden (S/CB)
50 - Jabril Cox or Baron Browning (LB)
81 - Gainwell, K. Hill, or T. Sermon
156 - OL depth like Aaron Banks (?)

The Fins may figure with a clean bill of health and a complete offseason from Tua, he should improve along with a young OL that started 3 rookies.

You'd have WR Fuller/Parker/DeVonta, TE Gesicki, and Gainwell (or other rookie) / Gaskin.

The D last year was solid overall, but it was very opportunistic and probably not as good as we thought. Buffalo pretty much exposed it twice last season and that's the team we need to beat. This kind of draft would improve both sides of the ball and give Miami a better shot of dealing with Buffalo I think.
Ummm....NO. Although it's an interesting concept your team needs to be complete to be able to do something like this, this one is not… YET. But I think you could shoot down the same concept on the offense of side of the ball. I think what we'll see is about 50-50 (offense-defense). I'll be shocked myself, if we don't see both being picked in round one, and round two respectively.

Back
Top Bottom