Could Kyler Murray Dictate Where He Is Going? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Could Kyler Murray Dictate Where He Is Going?

RonniesRightArm

Active Roster
Reaction score
Was listening to the Locked On Fins Podcast this morning and Travis Wingfield mentioned that Kyler could potentially tell teams that if they draft him, he'll just go play baseball. This would mean that he could tell a warm weather team like Miami that is rebuilding and is looking for a savior that if they draft him, he'll play for them.

Is this too spinfoil hat for you guys? Eli Manning did something similar to the Chargers back in the day, but he didnt have baseball to use as leverage.

I just thought it was an interesting idea.

Kyler Murray has proven he isn’t the sharpest tool in the shed. Hopefully the dolphins pass on them. We don’t need another brain dead qb.

Eli Manning was a lock to go at the top of the draft. Murray is a project. Why limit the number of teams that may be interested in you and also cost yourself real money by falling in the draft.

What people need to remember is that with Murray, we'd have to build an offense just for him. He'd have to be in the gun all game long as he's too short to be under Center. Getting a back up would also be hard because you don't have anyone else like him. Having said that, the Dolphins would be the perfect team for him as we're rebuilding so we could install that offense for him.

What people need to remember is that with Murray, we'd have to build an offense just for him. He'd have to be in the gun all game long as he's too short to be under Center. Getting a back up would also be hard because you don't have anyone else like him. Having said that, the Dolphins would be the perfect team for him as we're rebuilding so we could install that offense for him.

I'd ask:

Are Drew Brees and Baker Mayfield too short to play under center?

What is the tangible difference between 6'0" and 5'9 3/4"?

And, how often do teams cal straight dropbacks from under center in 2018 moving forward?

I don't think the backup has to be similar to the starter. Matt Shaub was the backup for Mike Vick, Kirk Cousins backed up RG3, Gus Frerotte was the back up for Culpepper.

If anything having 2 different style QB's is beneficial since if a QB is questionable it forces defenses to prepare and game plan differently.

Was listening to the Locked On Fins Podcast this morning and Travis Wingfield mentioned that Kyler could potentially tell teams that if they draft him, he'll just go play baseball. This would mean that he could tell a warm weather team like Miami that is rebuilding and is looking for a savior that if they draft him, he'll play for them.

Is this too spinfoil hat for you guys? Eli Manning did something similar to the Chargers back in the day, but he didnt have baseball to use as leverage.

I just thought it was an interesting idea.
Going to hurt his draft stock

One thing I'd point out is this, playing from under center is more about how fast your process is than how tall you are. How quickly can you create space between yourself and the LOS and get to your landmark - and how quickly can you set up and get the ball out once you get there.

It's Murray's entire process that is so incredibly fast. That's why he has a chance to be successful despite his height.

Over the course of a career, height does matter a lot, in fact I'd argue outside of arm talent it's the single most important physical attribute for the QB position.

Guys like Tom Brady and Nick Foles aren't great athletes, but they excel in large part because they are tall.

There's a reason there has only been ONE great QB in NFL history under 6 feet tall (RW is not great, his TEAM has been though), and his name was Sonny Jurgenson (times have changed a bit since then).

You cannot run a traditional offense with Murray under center, because his vision and height will be impacted on too hi a percentage of the plays over the course of a career. The gun suits him much better, as it would any miniature QB.

There's a reason a great coach like Pete Carroll doesn't want RW throwing the ball too often, even if some people can't handle the truth and want to blame all of RW's playoff struggles on Carroll (and he's a lot taller than Murray).

I will say Murray is uber talented, and with his speed and ability he could probably make it work with a gun heavy offense.

But lining him up under center consistently and expecting that to work, good luck with that.

I'd prefer a more traditional QB, but wouldn't be too upset with Murray because he is special.

Last edited:
You cannot run a traditional offense with Murray under center

There are no "traditional" offenses any more. Murray can run plays under center. That's a fact, and that is all he will be required to do from time to time. Not only that, but he can sneak it under center. There are no "under center" problems with Murray.

There's a reason a great coach like Pete Carroll doesn't want RW throwing the ball too often, even if some people can't handle the truth and want to blame all of RW's playoff struggles on Carroll (and he's a lot taller than Murray).

Russell Wilson played in the SB twice, and is a perennial playoff contender. On rookie contract he did that every single year. That is ALL that we are looking for. A Ferrari on rookie contract. A QB who on rookie contract can perform.
Daniel Jones cannot do that. Daniel Jones is not a playmaker but a hope, a roll of dice, a 10 year project. Murray is the Ferrari, on rookie contract. That's the difference between the two. And that is a significant difference since we are looking only for a rookie contract performer, not a 10 year project.

Over the course of a career, height does matter a lot, in fact I'd argue outside of arm talent it's the single most important physical attribute for the QB position.

Guys like Tom Brady and Nick Foles aren't great athletes, but they excel in large part because they are tall.

There's a reason there has only been ONE great QB in NFL history under 6 feet tall (RW is not great, his TEAM has been though), and his name was Sonny Jurgenson (times have changed a bit since then).

You cannot run a traditional offense with Murray under center, because his vision and height will be impacted on too hi a percentage of the plays over the course of a career. The gun suits him much better, as it would any miniature QB.

I will say Murray is uber talented, and with his speed and ability he could probably make it work with a gun heavy offense.

But lining him up under center consistently and expecting that to work, good luck with that.

I'd prefer a more traditional QB, but wouldn't be too upset with Murray because he is special.

Excluding play action, which teams throw often from under center?

There are no "traditional" offenses any more. Murray can run plays under center. That's a fact, and that is all he will be required to do from time to time. Not only that, but he can sneak it under center. There are no "under center" problems with Murray.

Russell Wilson played in the SB twice, and is a perennial playoff contender. On rookie contract he did that every single year. That is ALL that we are looking for. A Ferrari on rookie contract. A QB who on rookie contract can perform.
Daniel Jones cannot do that. Daniel Jones is not a playmaker but a hope, a roll of dice, a 10 year project. Murray is the Ferrari, on rookie contract. That's the difference between the two.

I'm looking for that Seattle defense that could have won a SB with me at QB lol.

And yes it is true fewer and fewer teams are running traditional under center offenses, but it's also true that every inch you drop under 6 feet, SIGNIFICANTLY decreases your chances of success at this level as has been proved over the course of 100 years of NFL history.

I have no idea if Daniel Jones is any good, I just like him because I like Duke.

From what I've heard Lock is the better QB prospect and would be happy with him too, even Murray wouldn't upset me, but I do know that height does matter in every sport other than soccer, and it matters a lot.

Last edited:
I'm looking for that Seattle defense that could have won a SB with me at QB lol.

And yes it is true fewer and fewer teams are running traditional under center offense, but it's also true that every inch you drop under 6 feet, SIGNIFICANTLY decreases your chances of success at this level as has been proved over the course of 100 years of NFL history.

I have no idea if Daniel Jones is any good, I just like him because I like Duke.

From what I've heard Lock is the better QB prospect and would be happy with him too, even Murray wouldn't upset me, but I know that height does matter in every sport other than soccer, and it matters a lot.

Through seven seasons, Wilson has had a passer rating of 100 or better four times, 110 or better twice. His career mark is 100.3. You're talking out of your neck.

Through seven seasons, Wilson has had a passer rating of 100 or better four times, 110 or better twice. His career mark is 100.3. You're talking out of your neck.

And Phillips Rivers puts up Hall of Fame numbers! Until the playoffs happen...

Eli > Rivers, playoffs > regular season.

Back
Top Bottom