Crazy Concept - Wilkins For A Pick That Gets Robinson? | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Crazy Concept - Wilkins For A Pick That Gets Robinson?

Fun topic. I just can’t see any team trading a mid-round first for Wilkins.

I lean towards keeping Wilkins, regardless.

Yes. It does solve a huge cap issue. But, the question is does the hole it puts on D plus the up to 5 years of having Robinson on a rookie contract, plus the upgrade at RB all make sense?
Tough question to answer. On one hand, how well will Wilkins’ contract age given he will be 28 in December and 29 when the extension kicks in. If he was 2 years younger, I think we’d already have him locked up long term.

Gonna be honest, I don’t think Wilkins as a player is irreplaceable. Yes, he’s great at what he does. But I think we could draft a guy who would partially fill the hole he left with our 2nd or 3rd and give Sieler more snaps.

Robinson is a guy who could be an elite player for the next 8-10 years. Yea, he would be expensive to keep around after 5. I’m in favor of helping Tua and the offense out…have to keep the kid healthy.

It’s obviously not a popular opinion, but Wilkins is replaceable, as good as he is…

He’s not elite. He’s very good, and he’s upper echelon in the league, top 5 for sure, but he doesn’t offer a lot in terms of pass rush.

He’s a playmaker, good run stuffer, and tons of intangibles as a leader… but if we are really digging into making hard decisions… if we were offered a 1st round pick for him? I would do it.

He’s not good enough to get paid big money AND to ignore the 1st round pick… I’d shift Ogbah inside more, and lean on Sieler and Davis and understand that we will have made that unit noticeably weaker… but you better bank on that 1st round pick being a definite player… and now you also have salary flexibility too.

I like Wilkins… but if he’s getting resigned for 16-17-18mil/yr you’re hamstringing the team in other ways… and he’s not doing enough to pass rush to warrant that money IFFFF there is *that* type of compensation on the table (in reality, I think we would be offered more like a 2nd for him, not a 1st).

It’s obviously not a popular opinion, but Wilkins is replaceable, as good as he is…

He’s not elite. He’s very good, and he’s upper echelon in the league, top 5 for sure, but he doesn’t offer a lot in terms of pass rush.

He’s a playmaker, good run stuffer, and tons of intangibles as a leader… but if we are really digging into making hard decisions… if we were offered a 1st round pick for him? I would do it.

He’s not good enough to get paid big money AND to ignore the 1st round pick… I’d shift Ogbah inside more, and lean on Sieler and Davis and understand that we will have made that unit noticeably weaker… but you better bank on that 1st round pick being a definite player… and now you also have salary flexibility too.

I like Wilkins… but if he’s getting resigned for 16-17-18mil/yr you’re hamstringing the team in other ways… and he’s not doing enough to pass rush to warrant that money IFFFF there is *that* type of compensation on the table (in reality, I think we would be offered more like a 2nd for him, not a 1st).
Do you think his seeming lack of pass rush ability may have had anything to do with the scheme, and what was asked of him within it?

Could we see improvement in that area under Fangio?

I think it's a distinct possibility. He is quick afoot (for an interior Dlineman), strong, and has a nonstop motor. That really only leaves technique a possible issue, and I can't see that either.

Thoughts?

I'm just throwing something whacky against the wall here. I'm not on board with it conceptually but thought it was something everyone would at least like to chuck a thought brick at.

We haven't done the contract for Wilkins yet. We have Wilkins for a year. He's, after Aaron Donald, considered to be one of the very best DT's in the league. He loves the team and fans and we love him. I would truly hate to see him not be a Dolphin.

With that said, a one year rental with the ability to franchise him if the renter cannot immediately work out a contract with him is very valuable.

To me, the only player in round one that is worth trying to get is Bijan Robinson. He is largely regarded as the best RB to enter the draft since CMC.

If we are able to swing a deal that gets us the pick to get Robinson, do we do it? Could Fangio mitigate that whole in the front t of our D enough to make it worth while? Would we add enough firepower to make the Phins offense the deadliest in the league?

Before you answer, take a look at Bijan Robinson and consider him in McD's offense.

To all: It’s a trade off if it even happens. I could totally be smoking lunch meat. It just seemed a good topic for conversation besides us all playing the “who do we draft” game for another 36 hours.

our core all star defensive tackle that's more important for defenses and a big part of miami's defense over a rb? Really? Bad take, rbs are not important like they used to be, idc how versatile he seems

Here's something to throw out there. Let me first say I'm not in favor of trading Wilkins.

But what are thoughts on Wilkins to Minnesota for the Vikings 1st and Cook? Maybe that puts Miami in range for a defensive tackle to replace Wilkins?

Back
Top Bottom