Curious Case of Jake Fromm | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Curious Case of Jake Fromm

Dolphinator530

Club Member
Reaction score
So I am sure this post will bring a lot of hatred but I will preface by saying this is not me suggesting if he declares for Miami to draft him, more of highlighting what he does and other things that are frustrating but can be coached up or questioning ho big of a deal they are.

So Fromm in the Sugar bowl was pretty good, brought his accuracy back up to normal levels even with 3 new offensive linemen and one real threat at WR. Well he exploited that one match-up and made a number of throws that are high end NFL type in their execution. He also had the same problem plague him as receivers failed to separate minus Pickens, and had a WR dropping an easy touchdown in the 4th quarter which would have made him 21/30 for 300 yards and 3 TDs.

Heard on the broadcast of the Sugar Bowl that his completion percentage was effected by 7% by drops this season alone, people will look at numbers but if you haven't watched the drops have been bad and he just isn't a personality who will try and fit it in so he will hold the ball and keep progressing through his reads until he can try and find a window. And throw it in the direction of a guy where he can only catch it but likely make it uncatchable.

So that aside here is what I see in him as a prospect...

Arm strength - this is not elite but it is not bad, I would say he is even with Burrow. His velocity on all three stages is just fine. But I do think he loses some ability here because his footwork is so odd and he typically throws off a bad base. Which can be coached if he is willing.

Accuracy - this is a high end quality of his, good ball placement and anticipation. Made a few throws last night (Both TD's and a throw to Simmons) there were so well placed and thrown with great timing and rhythm. Does likely wait to long sometimes due to his O Line giving him so much time and wait for the best available throw rather than trying to make a play, but he clearly needs to trust his wide outs if he doesn't there is no forcing the ball. In previous years he knew certain guys could win 50/50 balls or could rise up and grab or catch in traffic. Definitely saw his confidence in his receiving core take a hit this year which saw his game regress. Could it have long term effect? Not sure but we will see.

Mental Game - Feel as if he is at worst top 2 in the class with his understanding of the offense and pre snap ability. He adjust runs and slides protection often, rarely does he have to look at the sideline for adjustments like so many other systems. He knows what the defense will do and like I said knows where to place the ball and when.

Athleticism - mid pack kind of athleticism. Not horrible but not elite by any means. Can run some but just doesn't do it, showed a lot more ability in the previous two years with scrambling, as he does throw okay on the run.

Physical - He is a thick kid who can take hit, good feet and height is okay (does fine seeing over his HUGE o line). Hand measurements will likely be at the bottom of what people think is okay and struggled in the rain this year, so does he need perfect conditions? I dont think so but definitely a question and theme that will be tracked.

Intangibles - elite leader, elite passion, coachability and desire. Calm guy but does have fire in him. People want to play for him and trust him on the field. Hard worker who loves football.

Overall - He is a good prospect who reminds me of Chad Pennington, high IQ slightly better arm than Penny but a guy who wont kill you with mistakes. But likely wont wow you very often. I think he will win games but can he carry you to big wins in bad conditions or against other elite teams? While he has risen to the occasion numerous times I would think the cast around him would need to be established and steady. I see him as a Day 2 guy who will end up as a starter at some point. I would personally not hang a franchise on him and would let him sit for a year or two and work on those flaws and allow him to get into the speed of the game. I wouldn't be terribly upset if Miami chose him as he does seem to be able to play up most of the time, and while his floor is relatively high his ceiling seems to be lower than other guys in the draft. He was partly handcuffed by the system UGA runs and wants to execute, especially under the first year OC but he needed to step up more.

Just some thoughts, as I see what the staff seems to desire from the QB position he has to be on their list should he declare. But others will be higher and more likely in the 1st round.

Last edited:
I think Fromm goes back for his senior year to tighten up some of his issues.

All indications I've had are that you're correct. Georgia are going around telling recruits that Jake Fromm is coming back. He's only 3 years out of high school and I don't know if he'd be a college graduate if he came out to the NFL. That can be a big deal.

I haven't gone over the game again yet from the standpoint of evaluating Jake Fromm but I thought he played a good game - especially being as handicapped as he was with his entire offensive line sitting out along with the top two RB's. He won another game throwing it 30 times for all those that care about that statistic.

From a mechanical standpoint, I still think there's some degree of upside with Fromm in terms of consistency throwing the football. He's a super kid and an outstanding person.

Fromm returning for his Senior year was something I had heard was his intention a long time ago from high school coaches. One of the more interesting things I heard was that he's really not an NFL guy and doesn't watch it at all. I can relate.

I am not an insider but do have friends within the athletic program, Jake's dad is pushy and could "force" him to go in the direction of the NFL. It would be sad if that was the case especially if that wasn't Jake's first choice.

As to the arm strength versus Joe Burrow, here are two throws from last night's game you've never seen from Joe Burrow.

That one was very close to 30 yards. Fromm had a clean pocket and was able to throw it right off the back of his drop. He didn't take any unnecessary hitch or gather to get this sort of mustard on it, just threw it in rhythm which is fine. The zip he put on this pass at this distance is second only to the supercharged arms you see from the likes of Justin Herbert, Jordan Love, Jacob Eason, Drew Lock, Carson Wentz, Joe Flacco, Matthew Stafford, Patrick Mahomes, Aaron Rodgers, Cam Newton, and Josh Allen. That's your list, by the way, of the supercharged arms in the NFL, as well as the players from the college ranks hoping to join them.

This second one is just as impressive in its own right because of how quickly and seamlessly he was able to transition from his drop to opening up his hips and throwing it out to his right side without a step, getting the ball 112 feet at really good velocity. On the broadcast you can even hear it pop the mitt pretty loudly.

Again though, Jake Fromm is very consistent about his velocity. One of the more consistent guys that I've seen, truth be told. This was not the sort of screamer you might see from Herbert, Love, Lock, Wentz, Flacco, Stafford, Mahomes, Rodgers, Newton, or Allen. But it's on par with virtually anyone else of note that you could name that way, and quite a bit better than a fair number that are playing in the NFL, let alone the guys who don't make it in the NFL because they can't chuck it like this.

I share Slimm's view that there's low-hanging fruit in Jake Fromm's footwork and weight transfer to where he could get even better and more consistent in terms of velocity. His feet lag his upper body on a number of throws. I remember Andrew Luck having this issue too.

I share Slimm's view that there's low-hanging fruit in Jake Fromm's footwork and weight transfer to where he could get even better and more consistent in terms of velocity. His feet lag his upper body on a number of throws. I remember Andrew Luck having this issue too.

One throw not highlighted was the out to Simmons on 3rd and 13, if you look at the pylon cam Simmons wasnt at the peak of his route and the ball was on the way and was on him the second he turned around. That anticipation is unmatched.

And have to admit i said equal to Burrow to avoid the people sad there is likely no choice to get Burrow, wanted the conversation be on Fromm not turn it into a ridiculous back and forth.

He's was in a dome. He always does good in a dome.

He threw one kind of throw really perfectly last night, which is the same throw he always throws really well, back of the shoulder, outside of the numbers. How does he do when he has to throw something else, answer is, it's hit and miss.

He's great pre snap and he's been a large part of why that line has been the best line in College all season, he's got the intangibles you look for in a QB but from a physical standpoint that are way too many questions.

Tiny hands, no tools in his arsenal to escape the rush (thank god we have a stellar line), he simply can't throw in the wet (thank god it doesn't rain in Florida), his arm is average at best, he has the frame of a ten year old boy, he's not shown consistently enough that he can make all the throws. Simple fact is that the stats show that Georgia doesn't win when Fromm has to throw the ball a lot (thank god we have a dominant run game).

There may be situations where Fromm can thrive, perhaps in New Orleans in a dome backing up Brees, but I can't think of too many worse places than Miami for him, perhaps Green Bay or Cincy.

I'm not convinced he goes back now, early on in the game the camera flipped to Smart and you could clearly see him saying something like "How the hell did he miss that" just after Fromm had missed a wide open guy. I think his patience is wearing thin, probably not helped by seeing how great Fields played this year at Ohio State. He probably will go back and should but I don't think it's a slam dunk like it was a few weeks ago.

I can see Indy surprising everyone and grabbing Fromm in the 1st.

I remember when Tom Brady wasn't a quarterback that could win when he had to throw a bunch in the game.

I remember when Russell Wilson wasn't a quarterback that could win when he had to throw a bunch in the game.

That's not made up. Those books were written. On both players. And then they were burned when people realized it's more a function of the offense than the quarterback.

He's was in a dome. He always does good in a dome.

He threw one kind of throw really perfectly last night, which is the same throw he always throws really well, back of the shoulder, outside of the numbers. How does he do when he has to throw something else, answer is, it's hit and miss.

He's great pre snap and he's been a large part of why that line has been the best line in College all season, he's got the intangibles you look for in a QB but from a physical standpoint that are way too many questions.

Tiny hands, no tools in his arsenal to escape the rush (thank god we have a stellar line), he simply can't throw in the wet (thank god it doesn't rain in Florida), his arm is average at best, he has the frame of a ten year old boy, he's not shown consistently enough that he can make all the throws. Simple fact is that the stats show that Georgia doesn't win when Fromm has to throw the ball a lot (thank god we have a dominant run game).

There may be situations where Fromm can thrive, perhaps in New Orleans in a dome backing up Brees, but I can't think of too many worse places than Miami for him, perhaps Green Bay or Cincy.

I'm not convinced he goes back now, early on in the game the camera flipped to Smart and you could clearly see him saying something like "How the hell did he miss that" just after Fromm had missed a wide open guy. I think his patience is wearing thin, probably not helped by seeing how great Fields played this year at Ohio State. He probably will go back and should but I don't think it's a slam dunk like it was a few weeks ago.

While some of your points are valid, some are just ridiculous.

His hands are small, and did have issue with the rain this year, I dont remember it being that big of an issue before but it definitely is noteworthy.

Arm is average - its not a cannon but its is not average. His velocity on all three levels is pretty good and has been measured objectively.

Frame of a 10 year old - he is 6'2 230 he is a thick kid. He has a grown man lower half

Consistently making throws - he is the one of the best with fades, come backs, back shoulders and timing throws. This was proven again last night.

He has a wide range of possibility in his development, he and Love have the biggest gap between their floor and ceiling, albeit for differing reasons.

I like your scouting report. Fromm definitely had to deal with more adversity this year with his wide receiver group.

I liken him to Kirk Cousins, which is similar to your comp of Chad Pennington. His accuracy is what I really like about Fromm, but sounds like he's got those great intangibles as well.

I remember when Tom Brady wasn't a quarterback that could win when he had to throw a bunch in the game.

I remember when Russell Wilson wasn't a quarterback that could win when he had to throw a bunch in the game.

That's not made up. Those books were written. On both players. And then they were burned when people realized it's more a function of the offense than the quarterback.

Bringing up future hall of fame guys to prove a point is as silly as saying wait till the 6th round to pick a QB because that's where Brady fell to. The facts are what they are, Fromm doesn't win games on his own there at Georgia, he is reliant on a strong supporting cast. Do you think Fromm would excel like Wilson in rain capital of the US, Seattle with the line they've had over the years ?

Back
Top Bottom