Cutler agrees to sign for fins | Page 16 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Cutler agrees to sign for fins

Something to consider here is that Cutler might not start on opening day. I know Cutler knows the offense but he still needs to get in football shape plus he needs to get on the same page with his WR's and TE's. Starting Moore early on might not be the worst thing, specially since that's the easiest part of our schedule. I don't believe Moore can lead us to the playoffs but he's more than capable to help us win one or two games early on. Why put Cutler out there if he's not ready when we do have a good(not great) back up that knows the offense and his team mates? Of course if we start Moore and win, do you pull him out before we lose a game?

Ozzy rules!!

Contradictory to old perceptions of Cutler....he went health nut a few years ago...lost the extra weight, toned up and started eating right.

He'll be in shape.

The biggest question is can Jay C keep the defenses honest enough for Jay A to run. Because Matt Moore couldn't. Jay A averaged about 60 yards a game with Moore starting after going off during Ryan's last 6 games or so starting. If we can run and Cutler can hit Stills and Parker deep enough times, we should be OK.

Well this is gonna be awkward...

giphy.gif

The biggest question is can Jay C keep the defenses honest enough for Jay A to run. Because Matt Moore couldn't. Jay A averaged about 60 yards a game with Moore starting after going off during Ryan's last 6 games or so starting. If we can run and Cutler can hit Stills and Parker deep enough times, we should be OK.
Ajayi ran for 316 yards the last 3 games of the regular season with Moore starting. Granted 206 of those yards came in one game. In the 4 games prior to Tannehill getting hurt against Arizona, Jay ran for 79, 77, 45 and 61 yards.

Matt moore just isnt built to last a season anymore. Not sure he ever was. kaepernick is a locker room issue because he night try to sway guys away from tannehill to attenpt to secure his own future in miami. Osweiler or any other young qb would be competition for tannehill in RT's eyes. Best to sit tight with a known quanitity in Cutler in what is DEFINITELY a one year stopgap signing than to throw a monkey wrench into Gases vision for the team. I just hope we dont get the worst case scenario of Tannehill playing for half the year then getting seriously hurt. I think surgery is coming.

Have to say my expectations for this season are at an all-time low. But I can appreciate Coach Gase trying to salvage the 2017 season.

This move is simply Adam Gase trying to find a way to upgrade from Matt Moore at QB. Will he succeed? Many here don't believe so. But two things are clear to me:

1) Gase doesn't think Matt Moore can carry our offense for 16+ games. (Not sure I disagree.)
2) He believes 34-year-old Jay Cutler gives us a better chance at winning games than Moore does.

Again, he could be wrong on both points. No one knows. But to me this just tells me our HC is not willing to throw in the towel for the 2017 season just yet.

The fact is, this is a shitty situation no matter how you see it. Ryan going down was always going to be the worst case scenario for our season, and unfortunately it happened.

When you lose your franchise QB for the entire season, there aren't any good options left or any positives to be had. It's literally a team's worst nightmare.

On the other hand, as hard as it is to believe, I do think there could be worse things than having Jay Cutler. I mean, we could be looking at Sanchez or Osweiler starting games for us. Eek.

With JC at least we know we're getting a 10+ year starter in the league with decent arm talent. Who happened to have his best year when playing under Adam Gase. And who is already familiar with the offense we run to the point that we won't have to alter the system in order for him to execute it.

Is the money we're paying him a huge pain in the ass? For sure. But again, this is a shitty situation with no positives at all, and money is part of that.

Will this decision mess with the team's chemistry? Absolutely. But that was always going to be the case no matter who we brought in. Again, just a terrible situation all around for us.

Will he be healthy enough to play all 16 games? Doubtful. But same could be said about Matt Moore, and we'd be looking at a third stringer a la Doughty being our starter for a few games.

In the end, Gase made this decision based on his experience with Cutler, and history will decide whether he was right or wrong. He's done enough good things for this franchise in a short period of time to be able to get the benefit of the doubt on decisions like this one. Basically, in Gase we trust.

As a fan, all I will say is if I was able to endure watching Chad Henne as our QB, I can endure Jay Cutler. And I will support my team no matter what. Always.

Back
Top Bottom