Damon signs with Yanks | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Damon signs with Yanks

FinsNYanksFan13 said:
The Yankees needed a Centerfielder and lead-off hitter and killed two birds with one stone.

The Yankees needed a lead off hitter? What about Jeter? Who has a better average and OBP than Damon does.

Ray Finkle said:
The Yankees needed a lead off hitter? What about Jeter? Who has a better average and OBP than Damon does.

Jeter did a great job for us leading off, I won't dispute that. But he's been #2 in our line-up since he started his career and that's where he belongs. You can put Jeter anywhere and he would have had the numbers he had, he's that good. Plus even Torre and Jeter himself didn't want to bat lead-off, he did it because he's a team player. He even admitted himself he liked batting 2nd because it allowed him to see what a pitcher had that day before taking his licks!

FinsNYanksFan13 said:
Jeter did a great job for us leading off, I won't dispute that. But he's been #2 in our line-up since he started his career and that's where he belongs. You can put Jeter anywhere and he would have had the numbers he had, he's that good. Plus even Torre and Jeter himself didn't want to bat lead-off, he did it because he's a team player. He even admitted himself he liked batting 2nd because it allowed him to see what a pitcher had that day before taking his licks!

Jeter is a better #2 batter, no doubt about it. Personally if I were a Yankee fan I wouldn't want him to bat line up.

In 2006 and 2007 the Damon signing is a good move. However, just like the Pedro Martinez deal, its 2008 and 2009 that have to worry you. Damon being compared to Bernie Williams in terms of aging has to scare any Yankee fan, I know it scared me. I didn't want Damon on my team past 2008.

FinsNYanksFan13 said:
:cry: :cry:

Cry me a river Justin Timberlake!

look at them up on their high horse... i love it... get higher, Spanks... can't wait for it all to come crashing down... they crash harder and harder each October...

FaninPatsyLand said:
No one is debating this, the guy is one of the best leadoff hitters in the game
(Remains to be seen how much he's going to miss Friendly Fenway, well its not going to be friendly to him anymore, as far as offensive production is concerned). But your pitching still sucks, and that will be your downfall.

If the Red Sox go out and get Torii Hunter or Coco Crisp, it will soften the blow immensly. And of course, Schilling and Beckett at the top of the rotation looks pretty damn good.

Here's the starting pitching for the Red Sox and Yankees heading into the 2006 season.

Yankees-Randy Johnson, Mike Mussina, Carl Pavano, Jaret Wright, Wang, Shawn Chacon, Aaron Small.

Red Sox- Curt Schilling, Josh Beckett, David Wells (who Bob Ryan said today on WFAN has demanded a trade and won't be there), Tim Wakefield, Bronson Arroyo, Matt Clement, and Josh Papelbon.

If you ask me, that's a wash and advantage to the Yankees if the Wells is in another uni next year, as Bob Ryan said he would be!

PressCoverage said:
look at them up on their high horse... i love it... get higher, Spanks... can't wait for it all to come crashing down... they crash harder and harder each October...

Yep, they are going anywhere with the Big Useless ******* the bed every divisional series start, and Pussina continuing to be the piece of trash he is.

Aaron Small and Carl Pavano = the vaunted Yankee staff :lol:

Guys, from a runs scored standpoint, the difference between the leadoff hitter and #2 hitter is negligible. Whether it's Damon/Jeter or Jeter/Damon, the net effect on the Yankees' offense will be the same.

In fact, from a strategy standpoint, it makes far more sense to hit Damon first. Two of their best hitters, Giambi and Matsui, are both lefthanded, so scattering them in the lineup as much as possible makes sense.

PressCoverage said:

What did you say? I couldn't hear you through your loud, obnoxious crying :cry: :cry::cry:!

FinsNYanksFan13 said:
Here's the starting pitching for the Red Sox and Yankees heading into the 2006 season.

Yankees-Randy Johnson, Mike Mussina, Carl Pavano, Jaret Wright, Wang, Shawn Chacon, Aaron Small.

Red Sox- Curt Schilling, Josh Beckett, David Wells (who Bob Ryan said today on WFAN has demanded a trade and won't be there), Tim Wakefield, Bronson Arroyo, Matt Clement, and Josh Papelbon.

If you ask me, that's a wash and advantage to the Yankees if the Wells is in another uni next year, as Bob Ryan said he would be!

You are insane, right?

Give me Schilling, Beckett, Papelbon, Arroyo and Wakefield any day of the week.

FinsNYanksFan13 said:

A wash? Geez. If everyone in each rotation is healthy how can you say its a wash? Even without David Wells the Sox have a better staff, Wells wanted a trade isn't news, he wanted one since early November. I'm sorry but you can't tell me what a straight face that Small is going to be any good this year and that Chacon won't come back down to earth. Clement, Pavano and Wright all suck, no doubt about it.

In my opinion:
Schilling vs. Johnson- wash/advantage Johnson if anything
Beckett vs. Mussina- Beckett
Wakefield vs. Pavano- Wakefield
Clement/Arroyo vs. Wang- Wang
Papelbon vs. Chacon/Wright/Small- Papelbon

Ray Finkle said:
A wash? Geez. If everyone in each rotation is healthy how can you say its a wash? Even without David Wells the Sox have a better staff, Wells wanted a trade isn't news, he wanted one since early November. I'm sorry but you can't tell me what a straight face that Small is going to be any good this year and that Chacon won't come back down to earth. Clement, Pavano and Wright all suck, no doubt about it.

In my opinion:
Schilling vs. Johnson- wash/advantage Johnson if anything
Beckett vs. Mussina- Beckett
Wakefield vs. Pavano- Wakefield
Clement/Arroyo vs. Wang- Wang
Papelbon vs. Chacon/Wright/Small- Papelbon

None of those advantages you just gave are a guarantee which IMO makes it a wash. Schilling and Johnson, even I agree and I'll give Beckett the advantage over Moose if healthy. Other than that it can go either way and Papelbon has not proven enough IMO to be taken over either Chacon or Wright. I think the 5th starter is even which makes it basically a wash!

# 1 Schilling vs. Johnson = Wash
# 2 Beckett vs. Moose = Beckett
# 3 Wakfield vs. Pavano = a wash if Pavano is healthy, Wakefield if your going on durability
#4 Clement/Arroyo vs. Wang = Wang
#5 Papelbon vs. any of the Yankees 3 remaining starters = Wash!

FinsNYanksFan13 said:
None of those advantages you just gave are a guarantee which IMO makes it a wash. Schilling and Johnson, even I agree and I'll give Beckett the advantage over Moose if healthy. Other than that it can go either way and Papelbon has not proven enough IMO to be taken over either Chacon or Wright. I think the 5th starter is even which makes it basically a wash!

How is Chacon proven then? Papelbon and Chacon pitched about the same amount in the AL last year, and Chacon was crap in the NL (although he did pitch in Colorado so again IMO he's still unproven).

Wright sucks, seriously the guy had 1 good year which happened to be his rookie year. He was terrible everywhere since then but with the Braves. He was terrible when he pitched last year with the Yankees too.

FinsNYanksFan13 said:
#5 Papelbon vs. any of the Yankees 3 remaining starters = Wash!

Papelbon is better than any of the Yankees 3 remaining starters. It's not a wash in my opinion.

Ray Finkle said:
Papelbon is better than any of the Yankees 3 remaining starters. It's not a wash in my opinion.

Your assuming that though man, it's not a fact. His upside to be better is definitely something I would have a lot of confidence in if I was a Red Sox fan but he only made 3 starts in his career and I think it's going to take a little more then that to convince me. But hey, won't be the first or last time we disagree that's for **** sure!

Back
Top Bottom