Damon signs with Yanks | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Damon signs with Yanks

finswin56 said:
I think the biggest part of this story is the report that Damon didn't even bother letting the Red Sox brass counter offer. That says a lot about what direction that relationship went.

I think it was more of the Yankees telling Boras he had 2 minutes to decide whether to take it or not and also them telling him not to tell the Sox of the decision.

Also the Sox made it very clear that the most they were going with Damon was 4 years for 40 million.

Ray Finkle said:
I think it was more of the Yankees telling Boras he had 2 minutes to decide whether to take it or not and also them telling him not to tell the Sox of the decision.

Also the Sox made it very clear that the most they were going with Damon was 4 years for 40 million.
Then why complain to the media?

finswin56 said:

What did they complain about? That they heard about Damon going to the Yankees just like everyone else did through ESPN?

It's common courtesy don't you think? Don't you think that Damon himself should have called the Sox thanking them for 4 good years but he's going in another direction? Hell Roger Clemens and Pedro Martinez who both left the Sox on bad terms at least let them know before they told the media.

Let's just say that you worked at Wendy's for the last 4 years and your contract was up and you decided to work at McDonald's instead, would you call and let Wendy's know or would you just let them find out by having an employee buy a Happy Meal from you?

Ray Finkle said:
What did they complain about? That they heard about Damon going to the Yankees just like everyone else did through ESPN?

It's common courtesy don't you think? Don't you think that Damon himself should have called the Sox thanking them for 4 good years but he's going in another direction? Hell Roger Clemens and Pedro Martinez who both left the Sox on bad terms at least let them know before they told the media.

Let's just say that you worked at Wendy's for the last 4 years and your contract was up and you decided to work at McDonald's instead, would you call and let Wendy's know or would you just let them find out by having an employee buy a Happy Meal from you?

I wouldn't tell them **** if I didn't feel they put in an effort to keep me and McDonald's did everything they can (including offering more money) to get me in their uniform. An eye for an eye it's called!

Ray Finkle said:
Also I wouldn't use the "Red Sox fans are left with egg on your faces" thing. Last time the Yankees "stole" a player from us it was Arod and we all know what happened that year.

DON'T CHANGE HISTORY! The Yanks NEVER stole A-Rod from you. The Sox REFUSED to pay all of A-Rod's contract and the UNION blocked the trade from Texas to Boston because it involved Arod taking a pay cut. NOTHING TO DO WITH GEORGE OR THE YANKS!

After that happened, George sent an offer to Texas. Well after the deal to Boston was dead and burried cause the Sox didn't want to pay the $$$$

Ray Finkle said:

Common Courtesy? Your kidding! This is big business. If it was the 1st day of free agency, sure yeah pick up the phone. Boston has had more than enough time to re-sign him. A phone call wasn't needed. They knew this could have happened.

finswin56 said:

Because they didn't want a PR nightmare on their hands and they wanted to spin the story to their favor.

A press conference was over-doing it. A written statment would have been just fine.

Ray Finkle said:

That illustrates my earlier point, perfectly. I think the relationship between Damon and the front office deteriorated pretty badly. Someone else said Boston would not have countered. I think they would have countered(maybe not a matching offer, but something more probably would have been offered), but I just think Damon was ready to leave Boston.

Boston has had a pretty poor history of retaining it stars over the years. I think this reflects poorly on the front office. I'm definately not a Sox fan, but if I was, I would be getting annoyed with this trend. I'm not saying they should have matched the offer for Damon. I'm just pointing out that there is some underlying factor in Boston that scares away the stars. It's not money. Boston has pleny of it, and could have afforded to match the offer to Damon (whether they should have is debatable).

I don't follow everything the Sox do, but this reminds me of the Theo incident. Theo was getting squeezed, and he bascially said to piss off. I think Damon had a similar issue. There is something to be said for giving a respectable first contract offer. Showing respect to your employee goes a long way in keeping the relationship amicable, and thus promoting retention even if you don't want to be the highest bidder.

finswin56 said:
That illustrates my earlier point, perfectly. I think the relationship between Damon and the front office deteriorated pretty badly. Someone else said Boston would not have countered. I think they would have countered(maybe not a matching offer, but something more probably would have been offered), but I just think Damon was ready to leave Boston.

Boston has had a pretty poor history of retaining it stars over the years. I think this reflects poorly on the front office. I'm definately not a Sox fan, but if I was, I would be getting annoyed with this trend. I'm not saying they should have matched the offer for Damon. I'm just pointing out that there is some underlying factor in Boston that scares away the stars. It's not money. Boston has pleny of it, and could have afforded to match the offer to Damon (whether they should have is debatable).

I don't follow everything the Sox do, but this reminds me of the Theo incident. Theo was getting squeezed, and he bascially said to piss off. I think Damon had a similar issue. There is something to be said for giving a respectable first contract offer. Showing respect to your employee goes a long way in keeping the relationship amicable, and thus promoting retention even if you don't want to be the highest bidder.

I agree with that. It seems to me that aside from Varitek (an obvious) the Red Sox haven't been loyal to anyone from that 2004 season. That's bad for business IMO especially considering that it was their first in 86 YEARS. You would think they'd have a little bit more loyalty to those players considering how far they came to win that title!

FinsNYanksFan13 said:
I agree with that. It seems to me that aside from Varitek (an obvious) the Red Sox haven't been loyal to anyone from that 2004 season. That's bad for business IMO especially considering that it was their first in 86 YEARS. You would think they'd have a little bit more loyalty to those players considering how far they came to win that title!

What are you talking about. We were the 1st team to go out and give Damon an offer over a month ago 4 years 40mil. That was as far as the Sox were willing to go on Damon which is why they never increased the offer. No other team was willing to put a deal on the table till the Yanks offered that contract on Tues. to Damon. They tell Damon they need an answer today. So he has 1 offer for 4 and 40 and one for 4 and 52. He knows the Sox won't offer 4 and 52 so he takes the cash, no big deal to me. Only 2 teams were in the market for Damon and he took the bigger deal, no surprise in sports today. Does being loyal mean we have to overpay a player to keep him on the team???? Good Luck Johnny Damon, thanx for your 4 best years and a title in 2004.

GreenMonster said:
What are you talking about. We were the 1st team to go out and give Damon an offer over a month ago 4 years 40mil. That was as far as the Sox were willing to go on Damon which is why they never increased the offer. No other team was willing to put a deal on the table till the Yanks offered that contract on Tues. to Damon. They tell Damon they need an answer today. So he has 1 offer for 4 and 40 and one for 4 and 52. He knows the Sox won't offer 4 and 52 so he takes the cash, no big deal to me. Only 2 teams were in the market for Damon and he took the bigger deal, no surprise in sports today. Does being loyal mean we have to overpay a player to keep him on the team???? Good Luck Johnny Damon, thanx for your 4 best years and a title in 2004.
I think the biggest problem was that nothing was offered until after the season. The Sox probably could have kept Damon for that contract had they of made the offer before his contract ran out. Same thing with Theo; he should have be re-signed after the '04 season. If you make a guy work out his full contract w/o serious contract talks, you show a lack of interest. I'm not saying it's right, just that it is what it is.

Back
Top Bottom