Damon signs with Yanks | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Damon signs with Yanks

MikeO said:
DON'T CHANGE HISTORY! The Yanks NEVER stole A-Rod from you. The Sox REFUSED to pay all of A-Rod's contract and the UNION blocked the trade from Texas to Boston because it involved Arod taking a pay cut. NOTHING TO DO WITH GEORGE OR THE YANKS!

After that happened, George sent an offer to Texas. Well after the deal to Boston was dead and burried cause the Sox didn't want to pay the $$$$

You're right the Yankees didn't steal Arod away from the Sox. The Arod deal, like the Damon one, was to stick it to Boston.

You're also forgetting the fact that after the Yankees got Arod, Georgie sent out a note to the AP saying "Unlike some franchises we go above the call and get what our fans want" or some crap like that. It was meant to rub it in the Red Sox FO and fans faces which is fine because George had to choke on his words 9 months later.

Also the according to the Arod for Manny and Lester deal, Texas was making the Red Sox pay some of Manny's contract too. I don't blame the Sox for not wanting to pay all that money.

MikeO said:
Common Courtesy? Your kidding! This is big business. If it was the 1st day of free agency, sure yeah pick up the phone. Boston has had more than enough time to re-sign him. A phone call wasn't needed. They knew this could have happened.

No I'm not kidding, that's the problem with these players they're so freakin' greedy and unthankful. Without the Red Sox, Damon probably would have been nothing, he owned them a phone call. Again like I said Pedro Martinez and Roger Clemens at least called up the FO and told them they were going somewhere else and they left on bad terms. You're missing my point once again but that's ok.

The eggs are back on the Yankees faces now the Red Sox signed John Flaherty! Take that Big Stein :lol:

finswin56 said:
That illustrates my earlier point, perfectly. I think the relationship between Damon and the front office deteriorated pretty badly. Someone else said Boston would not have countered. I think they would have countered(maybe not a matching offer, but something more probably would have been offered), but I just think Damon was ready to leave Boston.

Boston has had a pretty poor history of retaining it stars over the years. I think this reflects poorly on the front office. I'm definately not a Sox fan, but if I was, I would be getting annoyed with this trend. I'm not saying they should have matched the offer for Damon. I'm just pointing out that there is some underlying factor in Boston that scares away the stars. It's not money. Boston has pleny of it, and could have afforded to match the offer to Damon (whether they should have is debatable).

I don't follow everything the Sox do, but this reminds me of the Theo incident. Theo was getting squeezed, and he bascially said to piss off. I think Damon had a similar issue. There is something to be said for giving a respectable first contract offer. Showing respect to your employee goes a long way in keeping the relationship amicable, and thus promoting retention even if you don't want to be the highest bidder.

I think there's more to it about retaining their stars since the new brass took over. The Sox clearly dropped the ball with Clemens however since 2004 when Lowe, Pedro, OC left the Sox had reason not to resign them (whether people thought it was right or wrong).

Lowe had/has major problems with drinking and women and plus he plain old sucked in 2004 not counting the playoffs. Pedro was pissed off that Schilling was the new star and I heard from a number of insiders with the Red Sox that there was no way Pedro was coming back to Boston unless they paid him much more than Schilling (Schilling is making 16 to 18 mill a year so Pedro wanted 20 or over) plus the Sox had concerns about Pedro's long term health.
OC has problems of his own and it scared the Sox front office, I won't go into details but people can make guesses judging from where he's from.

I do agree that the Theo thing was very weird and I have no thoughts, knowledge or guesses as to what happened. As for Theo getting squeezed he was going to make a ton of money he just wanted 100% control with wasn't going to happen.

With Damon the FO said to Damon the offer is 4 years for 40 million (same contract given to Varitek who is as important as Damon is), I heard the Sox even went as high as 4 years for 44 but that was the max. The F.O. was honestly worried about Damon's long term health and also I'm hearing (whether its true or BS) is that Damon's wife had past relationships with a lot of the players before he married Damon and the F.O. didn't like that. But again that's a rumor so take it as it is.

MikeO said:
Because they didn't want a PR nightmare on their hands and they wanted to spin the story to their favor.

A press conference was over-doing it. A written statment would have been just fine.

You're 100% right. They should have sent out a written statement and that was it. I couldn't argee with you more.

Here's an interesting read from back in May of 2005:
http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20050501&content_id=1034754&vkey=news_bos&fext=.jsp&c_id=bos

In case you don't want to read it all I'll post the important quotes from Damon:

"There's no way I can go play for the Yankees, but I know they are going to come after me hard," Damon said. "It's definitely not the most important thing to go out there for the top dollar, which the Yankees are going to offer me. It's not what I need."

Johnny Damon, former idiot, current liar and hypocrite.

(I know he's not the first or last player to say this and then go and take the money, a friend e-mailed me the article)

BleedinGreenNC said:
Yeah, they really evened out!!:sidelol:

Yeah because I was serious with that comment too. :rolleyes:

It's not even certain Flaherty will even make the team.

clear.gif

Ray Finkle said:
You're right the Yankees didn't steal Arod away from the Sox. The Arod deal, like the Damon one, was to stick it to Boston.

Your an idiot! How was it to stick it to Boston? THEY MADE A MOVE TO GET THE BEST PLAYER IN ALL OF BASEBALL! Soriano was BENCHED in the Word Series he was so bad and when you can get rid of someone like that and add the best player in baseball, you do it. It upgrades your team.

That 2nd city mentality all over again. Everything NY does is to stick it to Boston:shakeno: :shakeno: . The A-Rod deal had NOTHING TO DO WITH BOSTON!!!! Not to mention AROD is a draw and ticket sales went through the friggin rough when they got AROD which increased revenue and profit. Yes, this STILL is a business!

Ray Finkle said:
Also the according to the Arod for Manny and Lester deal, Texas was making the Red Sox pay some of Manny's contract too. I don't blame the Sox for not wanting to pay all that money.

OK, fine. But stop f'n crying about how George ONLY did the move to stick it to Boston. The Sox got cheap (like they always do...Pedro, Damon, A-rod...etc) and George made a move and got A-Rod.

Back
Top Bottom