Dan Campbell - Not Even On Interview List? | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dan Campbell - Not Even On Interview List?

I honestly think Rizzi was running the team during that interim.

I don’t think miami gave him the interim position outright because he excelled at the STC position and they feared him leaving after the year if they chose not to give him the HC spot. The plan was obviously never to hire within for the next HC position and they chose someone capable, but dispensable.

I remember Rizzi in Campbell’s ear all game long essentially coaching HIM.

This also might be complete nonsense, but otherwise it makes zero sense why he wasn’t chosen over Campbell, and is NOW getting a head coach interview.

I don't know how I remember this, but I actually remember commentators alluding to the above (Rizzi in Campbell's ear/basically the one coaching the team) during the Houston game that season.

Regardless, though I like Rizzi (at his current job).... I'd be extremely underwhelmed if we went in that direction. Wouldn't worry too much though. I expect an underwhelming hire, and I expect us to be back in the market for a HC in 2-3 years tops.

I definitely do not want Rizzi as the HC. There are a few out there I do like, But its going to be difficult to attract quality to this organization with no visible plan in place.

One thing is for sure, your Miami Dolphins are going to look A LOT different in 2019.

Agree. I think I feel same way about Rizzi, great ST coach, solid leader but all of this love from players shouldn’t sway the decision.
I still prefer someone that can master one side of the ball-
Fangio- he will did the defense no doubt. That will be our identity.
Bienemy- he will create an OFF direction - he is young and hungry. He can hire a Bowles or Wilks to fix the defense.
What is Rizzi really bringing to the table?

Agree. I think I feel same way about Rizzi, great ST coach, solid leader but all of this love from players shouldn’t sway the decision.
I still prefer someone that can master one side of the ball-
Fangio- he will did the defense no doubt. That will be our identity.
Bienemy- he will create an OFF direction - he is young and hungry. He can hire a Bowles or Wilks to fix the defense.
What is Rizzi really bringing to the table?
Because this has worked so great for us in the past

Adam Gase
Joe Philbin
Cam Cameron
Hiring a coach that has been good on one side of the ball as our head coach has not worked well for us so far.

Isn't he retiring because his health can't handle the stress of coaching in college? Not saying he's not highly successful. He's very successful. Just the stress is too much. Pros is much worse. But now he would be dealing with players who don't need him.
The life of an NFL coach is not for everyone. 18 hour days for 9 months a year can be hard on a family.
Meyer certainly doesn't need the $ to live very comfortably. He, undoubtedly, could land a gig as a college analyst on one of the networks.

Other teams have asked to interview Campbell. No one has asked to interview Rizzi. That should tell you something.

Rizzi is solely a Miami guy. You rarely hear of special team coaches being interviewed for HC positions anywhere at anytime lol.

But then again like a poster above said, everything we tried hasn't worked well so far. We had Cameron, Philbin and Gase who were coaches on one side of the ball primarily, and yet that didn't work out well.

I was a fan, I lobbied hard for the guy, was mocked pretty hard at the time lol....wish he was on the list, and his multiple interviews in the league this year is not a surprise to me, very predicatble..
Yep. Those of us being mocked just saw it differently. We saw a leader who brought a physical toughness with him. He was the opposite of Philbin and Gase in that regard as stressed fundamentals big time. Interim coaches have been given full time gigs on far smaller sample sizes and less interesting results. See Leslie Frazier w the Vikes. I felt we had nothing to lose by giving him a shot. A properly run org - the Saints - scooped him up and immediately made him AHC. Smart by them.

Back
Top Bottom