Dansby thinks the defense can be great | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dansby thinks the defense can be great

I agree, realistically, what your saying is true, but I have watched Odrick, and the man has very good pass rush moves for a big man (He is a very good athlete for his size), add to that how powerful he can be, and I just have a feeling he will be successful, but with that much wieght (I do expect he comes down to low 290s, high 280s) he probably will start to wear down a bit.....gotta hope by then Vernon has gotten better learning the position better, and added a few finesse pass-rushing moves to to go along with his power moves. All big Ifs.

it's a different world playin on the outside in space like odrick is gonna be doing more of now...before he would shift outside in the nickle on some sets now he's starting out there...more space more responsibilities at the los not as much phone booth...his conditioning will have to be at a optimal level or someone will have to step up and take some snaps to give him a blow

imo what its gonna effect is his pass rush...odrick is a nice player though probably the best interior pass rush player we had last year...

Last edited by a moderator:
Ireland and Dansby can't wait to prove the haters wrong this year.

capl13--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG

Go Dolphins!

its all about the pass rusher opposite cam wake...if that guy doesn't make hay this d is gonna give up chunk yardage and points a plenty...if we let the qb sit back there all day we in big trouble...
Couldn't have said it better. Personally, I just don't know who that player is. Can we count on a rookie like Olivier Vernon to provide a pass rush? He's got a lot of potential, but that's probably asking a lot. We have a few guys who could emerge, but it is an uncertainty heading into training camp.

The key to this defense being great is getting a better pass rush and finishing games.

Last year we let 6 games get away from us in the 4th quarter becuase the defense couldn't finish strong.
In those games we gave up 10, 7, 15, 10, 10 and 10 points in the 4th quarter with the game on the line.
That's an average of over 10 points per quarter which is NOT good at all.

The reason being that we couldn't make stops against these teams passing games in the end of the game.
No pass rush, no big turnovers, just mediocre defense that allowed the other offense to control the game.

Yes they were 6th overall against scoring but most of that came from holding poor teams to low scores and then allowing the playoff team to have their way.

I see alot of improvement needed. But a swing in those 4 of those 6 games and we would have made the playoff last year.
So anything is possible. I hope we get that consistent pass rush this year and it continues and gets stronger in the 4th quarter.

The key to this defense being great is getting a better pass rush and finishing games.

Last year we let 6 games get away from us in the 4th quarter becuase the defense couldn't finish strong.
In those games we gave up 10, 7, 15, 10, 10 and 10 points in the 4th quarter with the game on the line.
That's an average of over 10 points per quarter which is NOT good at all.

The reason being that we couldn't make stops against these teams passing games in the end of the game.
No pass rush, no big turnovers, just mediocre defense that allowed the other offense to control the game.

Yes they were 6th overall against scoring but most of that came from holding poor teams to low scores and then allowing the playoff team to have their way.

I see alot of improvement needed. But a swing in those 4 of those 6 games and we would have made the playoff last year.
So anything is possible. I hope we get that consistent pass rush this year and it continues and gets stronger in the 4th quarter.
The secondary didn't help in the passing defense either. The two go hand-in-hand. I mean if Nolan Carroll is letting his guy run completely free the QB doesn't have to wait long at all to let the ball fly. If Coyle can get the secondary playing better then the pass rush will improve, if the pass rush improves the secondary will play better...and come up with more turnovers.

The secondary didn't help in the passing defense either. The two go hand-in-hand. I mean if Nolan Carroll is letting his guy run completely free the QB doesn't have to wait long at all to let the ball fly. If Coyle can get the secondary playing better then the pass rush will improve, if the pass rush improves the secondary will play better...and come up with more turnovers.

Agreed, both units need to play better. In 2011 we were 13th in sacks and 16th in qb rating defense.
This shows both units need to move into top 5-10 for us to succeed.

Every year someone on the D comes out in the summer and says how great they can be, then it takes 6 games of garbage football (letting the browns behind by 4 march 80 yds in less than 2 min to score a TD to win the game) before they start playing good football. Talk is cheap, show me dont tell me

Back
Top Bottom