Dave Hyde: Dolphins should fire Ireland and Philbin | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dave Hyde: Dolphins should fire Ireland and Philbin

I actually agree with the write. yes he does sensationalise a couple of things like almost all journalists do - everyone has to make a living.

However, I ultimately agree with his conclusion that Philbin & Ireland aren't bad people, just inexperienced and shown to be out of their depth - this isn't some charity shop they're running here!

The determination of whether or not Joe is out of his depth is going to be taken from the team's record, IMO. 8 games to play. Joe has 2 very high quality wins on his resume this season, and one real brutal loss.

10-6 or better with this OL, this banged up secondary, this awful linebacking corps, and an injured Cameron Wake and IMO we would be stupid to fire him. Just stupid.

Not great, but a good article. There comes a time when we have to stop worrying about problems and start thinking about solutions. I drove by Davie yesterday and I couldn't believe how many News Trucks were out there. Call me naive but I do not think they would be there if the people involved in this mess were no longer employed with the Dolphins. Stephen Ross must get all the facts. And if Joe Philbin knew, if Jeff Ireland knew, if Jim Turner knew, if Dawn Aponte knew, they MUST all go NOW. Let's get an experienced GM like A.J. Smith in here. Smith has experience and credibility and he is someone other GMs around the league respects. If they are going to get an experienced Head Coach, they are going to have to have an experienced GM to land one. Once the moves are complete people will be talking about the Dolphins winning games on the field and not have to cross our fingers wondering if they are going to blow another Draft or get out coached by rookie coaches like Doug Marrone, Mike Munchak (last season). There was a time when it seemed like a playoff spot was reserved for the Miami Dolphins. The question was how deep into the playoffs they would go. Now we are wondering where the next win is coming from. This has to stop. I am not necessarily endorsing A.J. Smith specifically. I am sure some of you may have some other names to throw out there so go for it.

Really A.J Smith???? guy is a bigger ******* to players than most people think Ireland is.

The determination of whether or not Joe is out of his depth is going to be taken from the team's record, IMO. 8 games to play. Joe has 2 very high quality wins on his resume this season, and one real brutal loss.

10-6 or better with this OL, this banged up secondary, this awful linebacking corps, and an injured Cameron Wake and IMO we would be stupid to fire him. Just stupid.

Agreed....

I'm still puzzled about the Wheeler move....

But for what reason, other than the record? What can you point to that would show him to be a good coach and the he is the reason that we would be that good? If anything, this team is being held back by him and Sherman and the fact that Ireland was too stupid to fix an OL a blind man could see was bad. I can't point to anything that he is doing special here. Why should he stay? Give me reasons other than record.

But for what reason, other than the record? What can you point to that would show him to be a good coach and the he is the reason that we would be that good? If anything, this team is being held back by him and Sherman and the fact that Ireland was too stupid to fix an OL a blind man could see was bad. I can't point to anything that he is doing special here. Why should he stay? Give me reasons other than record.

If this team gets to 10 wins with the schedule we have remaining and the hot mess we have on the OL, it will be because of one critical thing: Ryan Tannehill making progress. If the coaching staff is able to develop the QB, the coaching staff will get a lot of leeway from me.

Let's see what happens in the next 8 games.

I guess I missed the part where Philbin was turning a blind eye to young boys being taken into the shower for things I am not even going to type here. There is no smoking gun to indicate that Philbin knew Martin was under serious emotional distress, which I'm still not entirely sure ever actually happened with Philbin knowing or not, and that he chose not to do anything about it.

The one thing I ask in this matter is that Philbin maintain his cool, which isn't easy when things out of his control are threatening his job over things that he may have never been involved in. If the team weathers the storm, it would be ridiculous to fire him without legitimate evidence of any negligence. If it doesn't weather the storm, the evidence is on the field will speak for itself.

If you think he should lose his job over this, tell me its because of line play, of bad play calling, etc. Bill Bellichek didn't lose his job when his player murdered someone, and he knew Hernandez had some kind of trouble. Romeo Crennell didn't lose his job because a player of his shot his girlfriend and then himself in the team parking lot (though he did lose it for on field performance). Please get back to me when anything real happens, because if coaches aren't getting fired over their players murdering people, I don't think this is a bigger deal than that.

Not that I can blame them but the fanbase seems to be spiraling down a black hole of jadedness, nobody will be afforded any leniency or benefit of the doubt. At some point we'll hit the event horizon where the second a new GM or Head Coach is announced there will be protests for him to be fired. Like I said, I can't blame them and I'll probably be guilty of it myself with the new GM, especially if he takes corn with a top 10 pick.

Dave Hyde: Dolphins should fire Ireland and Philbin

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/m...4278046.column

Casas9425 this is not your article,as far as I know it's against site rules to twist spam the content to your liking.And seeing this is your 200th fire ireland / philbin,Maybe you need a break.

How do Dolphins coach Joe Philbin, GM Jeff Ireland survive this?

Dave Hyde Sun Sentinel Columnist

9:11 p.m. EST, November 9, 2013

No matter what comes next we've seen enough of this Jonathan Martin saga to know it ultimately ends inside the Dolphins with the end of coach Joe Philbin and General Manager Jeff Ireland.

If there is going to be leadership to trust after this toxic mess, which is like an oil spill in the Gulf Coast, there will have to be change at the top. Usually you can win your way out of trouble in pro sports. Philbin and Ireland can't here.

This isn't because of any lack of decency or some involved dumbness as happens in some scandals. What you see is a different kind of ignorance at work here, the kind that comes when inexperienced people meet a series of unfortunate events.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/...-hyde-dolphins-1110-20131109,0,4278046.column

Not that I can blame them but the fanbase seems to be spiraling down a black hole of jadedness, nobody will be afforded any leniency or benefit of the doubt. At some point we'll hit the event horizon where the second a new GM or Head Coach is announced there will be protests for him to be fired. Like I said, I can't blame them and I'll probably be guilty of it myself with the new GM, especially if he takes corn with a top 10 pick.

I think we're kind of already at that point. No matter who gets hired, a not insignificant chunk of the fanbase is going to be screaming about what a bad hire it was the instant the person is announced.

It's sad, but my best argument for keeping Joe is that... I'm tired of the ****ing turnover.

He desperately needs to find a way to coach this team to 6 wins in 8 games.

Our record says we are an average team thus far this season. However with 8 games to go if Philbin is able to lead his team to 6 wins it would be silly to fire him.

Of course the remaining games will ultimately make or break Philbin, but to be quite honest the games we have won haven't screamed Superbowl material & as much I love to see the Phins win, I hate the hanging about till the 4th qtr and squeezing by mentality of the coaches. Play to win, not to keep your job - in this modern NFL era, the game is designed to be more creative than in the past & expose mismatches - I just don't see Philbin & co heading in this direction which in my opinion is what is needed in order to get to the promised land.

His co-ordinator and not head coach mentality still shines through to me & whilst Philbin may tell us he was not aware of the Incog & Martin escapades it still happened under his regime. Apart from just winning games,this is what comes under a head coach's remit, taking responsibility, leading a ship/team, otherwise why does Ross pay him the big bucks - just let him have a game plan on game day and hope the players execute it, someone else can handle the locker room - to me that isn't head coach material. Fine if you want to delegate responsibility, but you better surround yourself with better people otherwise it will & should be your head on the chopping block since the buck has to stop somewhere.

Oh & to all those people comparing this situation to Bellicheat & Hernandez...comon take your beer googles off..so different. That was external & yes we're talking about murder in the general public which is far more serious than what happened here. This is internal within your team mates, with some obvious cover ups, which to be fair is human nature.

Meanwhile, Jeff Ireland? Last year you go into the season and freely admit you don't have any #1 or #2 receivers other than Brian Hartline, who was near death in the hospital during training camp. This year you go into the season with the worst starting tackle tandem in the NFL, a marginal player at RG, and a bad fit for your offense at LG. Oh, and the depth is questionable across the board and the one lineman you drafted looked terrible when he got some work in the preseason.

Jeff Ireland's job performance should be self explanatory at this point. Last season, we wound up cutting and signing receivers all throughout the year -- and all of these clowns actually wound up starting for us. This year, you make a desperation trade for Bryant McKinnie and he instantly upgrades the OL, improving the tackle play substantially. He was available to be signed as a free agent during the offseason and wanted to come play here. Just awful.

Excellent points. I expected someone to be fired for the poor play on the field even before all of the drama started.

WRs last season: Did Ireland go cheap on his own, or did Philbin/Sherman tell him that their system doesn't need a true #1 WR (which I believe they actually did say) and that they could plug in any old WR into their system and he'll be productive?

O-Line: First of all, the staff should have seen that Martin wasn't very good, as Ireland drafted a LT that was known for a lack of strength (bad sign). Okay, so make him a project and let him build up his strength and improve his play for a while. The problem is that Martin being a project would be a wasted 2nd Round pick. Jake walks; so who exactly made the decision to have Martin be the starting LT? Ireland drafts Dallas Thomas (who is another project if he lasts that long), and brings in a few Veterans (some injured) supposedly for depth since only Clabo started. In other words, there was no real effort to upgrade the o-line this season, and the result is 30-some sacks in the first 7 games. Ireland brings in McKinnie to take Martin's place, and there's an improvement. Incognito goes out, Garner takes over along with the occasional addition of Yeatman and there's an improvement.

The problem? Philbin/Sherman refused to make personnel (and/or scheme) changes week after week, saying that they "believed" in their starters. The bye week would have been the perfect time to bring in McKinnie, but Ireland didn't budge. Here's the interesting part; Ireland and Philbin/Sherman did nothing to help the o-line until AFTER their meeting with Ross. So, we have a GM and a coaching staff that stood idly by and watched their young QB get pounded week after week, but it took threats from the owner for them to actually do something about the problem? I would fire everyone just for this alone!

I disagree and I like Philbin even more today than I have in the past......

1 idiot player quits on his team and your going to fire the head man, Philbin I back you up....!

d-1

That wasn't Hyde's best column, considering how much he had to work with.

I'm shocked the golf story hasn't blown up in the media the past two days, after it surfaced. I expected us to be crucified for those details, and for local and national reporters to press the story and find out how much Philbin knew at the time.

Or how much did Ross know? That may be the more interesting question.

I still don't see how we escape that story. Cover ups can take down regimes swiftly and without disagreement. It's among the handful of most disgusting things I've ever learned about the organization. Anyone who knew about it and tried to sweep it away should be in jeopardy, assuming the base facts are corroborated.

Back
Top Bottom