David Beckham to sign with MLS L.A. Galaxy | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

David Beckham to sign with MLS L.A. Galaxy

DeathStar

Hall Of Famer
Reaction score
Former England captain David Beckham will leave Real Madrid at the end of the season and sign a five-year deal for MLS side Los Angeles Galaxy, he told Reuters on Thursday.

The 31-year-old, who joined Real from Manchester United in June 2003, is the most famous player to sign up for Major League Soccer since it began in 1996.

The deal is reported to be one of the biggest in global sport with Beckham set to earn more than $250 million over the duration of his contract.:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=399465&cc=3888

Why would he come to US??? It has to be unrelated to soccer. Movie/TV career? Recording career?

Why MLS if those are not ulterior motives?

$250 million? I can't believe that. Anyway, after this ploy fails to make Americans care about soccer, perhaps the powers that be will finally give up.

Maybe the 250 million he is getting

:yes:

this is huge for American Soccer and the MLS I don't think they could have got a better person who is a "sexy name" to Americans.

a Butload of people know who Beckham is even if they don't follow futbol.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/grant_wahl/01/11/beckham/index.html

• Beckham may not be the only star coming to MLS. Now that Beckham has decided to make the move, his stamp of approval for the league will make it much easier for other international stars to come on board. MLS's newly installed designated-player rule -- the so-called Beckham rule -- allows each team to pay an unlimited salary to one player. DP slots are tradeable, and the New York Red Bulls now have two of them. In other words, look for Bruce Arena's Red Bulls (and perhaps a few others) to create some major buzz of their own with a big-name signing or two: Ronaldo, the all-time leading goal scorer in World Cup history and Beckham's current teammate at Real Madrid, has long been rumored as a target.

My daughter will be thrilled, she has been bugging me to take her to a Chicago game. Once she hears Beckham is in the MLS I wont be able to put her off anymore. Dont know who thier scheduling goes but hopefully he'll play agianst Chicago or Kansas City.

250 million in the mls?? the MLS? as in major league soccer?? for beckham? i think they are trying to get more world class players to make the jump... it dindt work with pele however...

Great news. Well, at least it's not my money that's being spent on it. The NASL went down because of too many moves like this, but who knows, maybe they can pull it off this time.

Oh, and yes, if this doesn't help US soccer become more mainstream, it's time the owners learn from it. But, I at least hope differently. (soccer has got to be able to at least beat out hockey or??)

Why would he come to US??? It has to be unrelated to soccer. Movie/TV career? Recording career?

Why MLS if those are not ulterior motives?

Because his Spice Girl wife is supposed to be one of Katie Holmes' (Tom Cruises' wife) best friends. They want to live the LA lifestyle.

Because his Spice Girl wife is supposed to be one of Katie Holmes' (Tom Cruises' wife) best friends. They want to live the LA lifestyle.

Well thats unrelated to soccer and MLS. I hear about the $250M but still....its MLS!

Plus, you think the wife and kids are packing up and coming state side?

Did the family come with him to Spain?

Beckham is washed up, not playing in Real Madrid, no longer a part of the England team, and now he has a chance of making 250 million and being a big fish in a small pond... that is why he is making the move.

Which makes sense also in marketing for MLS.

Back
Top Bottom