David Beckham to sign with MLS L.A. Galaxy | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

David Beckham to sign with MLS L.A. Galaxy

Yup and yup, it is not like it is not a common ocurrence amongst soccer players.

Exactly. Klinsman, the German coach, knows who wears the pants in his house and moved to Cali because that is where his wife is from. I am sure
Beckham's wife will leave Spain for Cali without blinking an eye.

When Beckham made the jump from Man U. to Real Madrid, it was rumored that he would move to the MLS at the end of his career to help it (possibly) become a better league. They even tried to make it seem that his wearing of #23 with Real Madrid was a symbol of him saying "I am coming soon" because that was Jordan's number.

50 million a year is CRAZY money though. Unbelievable. Great to see another Soccer thread on these Boards. I miss the WC Threads :(

When Beckham made the jump from Man U. to Real Madrid, it was rumored that he would move to the MLS at the end of his career to help it (possibly) become a better league. They even tried to make it seem that his wearing of #23 with Real Madrid was a symbol of him saying "I am coming soon" because that was Jordan's number.

50 million a year is CRAZY money though. Unbelievable. Great to see another Soccer thread on these Boards. I miss the WC Threads :(

WE should make a champions league thread... that always goes on, and now that we got Valencia doing great, and PSV doing great, it would just be sweet to talk

it will, from the very fact that this news made it to be big in ESPN and SI, from how the WC was followed so strongly in an american Football forum...

Soccer will replace hockey as the 4th strongest sport in america, specially as the latino populace keeps on growing. And as the youth of america that is playing more soccer.

Beckham is washed up, not playing in Real Madrid, no longer a part of the England team, and now he has a chance of making 250 million and being a big fish in a small pond... that is why he is making the move.

Which makes sense also in marketing for MLS.

I don't think he is washed up, but I will give you that he isn't he player that he once is. He still does have alot to give to MLS and vice versa. He'll always be a threat for 30yrds out on free kicks, and most likely lead the league in goals scored from free kicks. As for not playing England, that is more of a matter that Sven-Goran Eriksson left after the WC, and new coach Steve McClaren wanting to with younger players (John Terry is 26).

Couple of things..

The $250 Million is a combination of salary, promotions, endorsements advertisement, etc... That is not all going to be paid by the L.A. Galaxy.. Still, that is a crap load of money...

Second, as probably mentioned, while Beckham is not the best player in the world, or for that matter, even close to being the best player in the world, I believe he will now become the best in the MLS.. He himself cannot make soccer in the US popular but the hope is that other stars from Europe will follow and through time the league will grow in skill.. His arrival will have a very short term effect on interest but in order for interest to maintain and grow, more players of high quality will have to follow....

And I know there are a lot of them, but I don't believe "This is America, we will never like Soccer" because I'm American, didn't like soccer growing up, but I caught on and now I love it.. This sport can grow under the right conditions... There will need to be new innovative ways to market and advertise soccer here in US though..

its more in the lines that nobody still cares about soccer here
If you don't care about soccer then why the hell are you posting in a soccer thread?

I have no interest what so ever in the NBA (bores me to tears) or NASCAR (yeeeeehawwwwwww.....turn left) but I've never posted in any NASCAR or NBA related thread. Something I've never understood, people posting in a thread when they have ZERO interest in the subject matter.

Becks is worthless on the pitch. He once could play with the best, but he hasn't been anything more than a second tier player for the last 2 years. As one dimensional as they come. Him not playing for England has nothing to do with Mclaren coming on board, or a younger player taking his place, as England are desperate for any wing help - so much that they had to move up Neville, a defender, at times this summer in Becks position. Anybody that thinks he might be the savior for football in the US - as his outrageous contract seems to indicate - hasn't watched a game of Real in years or doesn't have a clue about the sport.

Back
Top Bottom