David Beckham to sign with MLS L.A. Galaxy | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

David Beckham to sign with MLS L.A. Galaxy

Becks is worthless on the pitch. He once could play with the best, but he hasn't been anything more than a second tier player for the last 2 years. As one dimensional as they come. Him not playing for England has nothing to do with Mclaren coming on board, or a younger player taking his place, as England are desperate for any wing help - so much that they had to move up Neville, a defender, at times this summer in Becks position. Anybody that thinks he might be the savior for football in the US - as his outrageous contract seems to indicate - hasn't watched a game of Real in years or doesn't have a clue about the sport.

None that know Beckham's abilities well think he will be a savior for US soccer through his skills on the pitch. It's the marketability that's the key. One reason American's don't give soccer the same respect they do the other major sports is because practically none of the world's best play here, and when they do it's well after their prime.

So, it's the guy's recognizability that's the key, though i have to admit 250 million is way above what I thought we'd have to pay for such a player.

If you don't care about soccer then why the hell are you posting in a soccer thread?

I have no interest what so ever in the NBA (bores me to tears) or NASCAR (yeeeeehawwwwwww.....turn left) but I've never posted in any NASCAR or NBA related thread. Something I've never understood, people posting in a thread when they have ZERO interest in the subject matter.
:sighs: b/c thats the reality of it...plus i didnt say i disliked soccer, although i may watch it during the WC but thats about it...this thread isnt about soccer only..its about beckham and if he can make soccer more popular here...and PT, they were expected to do well from the whole soccer community, not just us...so that arguemnt is kind of stupid

None that know Beckham's abilities well think he will be a savior for US soccer through his skills on the pitch. It's the marketability that's the key. One reason American's don't give soccer the same respect they do the other major sports is because practically none of the world's best play here, and when they do it's well after their prime.

So, it's the guy's recognizability that's the key, though i have to admit 250 million is way above what I thought we'd have to pay for such a player.

Agreed, marketability is key, but my point was that, Beckham isn't considered anymore one of the world's best by most aficionados. Neither is Ronaldo who is next on the list of aging superstars past their glory days coming to L.A. And neither was Pele when he came to the Cosmos years ago.

:sighs: b/c thats the reality of it...plus i didnt say i disliked soccer, although i may watch it during the WC but thats about it...this thread isnt about soccer only..its about beckham and if he can make soccer more popular here...and PT, they were expected to do well from the whole soccer community, not just us...so that arguemnt is kind of stupid

You obviously don't watch Soccer. :shakeno: The whole "soccer community" thinks the United States is a joke in Soccer. They didn't give us any respect in this World Cup (especially since we were in the toughest Group) and they never do. We weren't expected to do well at all (and we didn't).

Agreed, marketability is key, but my point was that, Beckham isn't considered anymore one of the world's best by most aficionados. Neither is Ronaldo who is next on the list of aging superstars past their glory days coming to L.A. And neither was Pele when he came to the Cosmos years ago.

Ronaldo and Beckham now are still more viewer friendly and more talented then most of what the MLS has now.

You obviously don't watch Soccer. :shakeno: The whole "soccer community" thinks the United States is a joke in Soccer. They didn't give us any respect in this World Cup (especially since we were in the toughest Group) and they never do. We weren't expected to do well at all (and we didn't).

I know we have had this discussion before, but you where certainly not in the toughest group... the toughest group was Argentina, Netherlands, Serbia and Cote D'ivore

I know we have had this discussion before, but you where certainly not in the toughest group... the toughest group was Argentina, Netherlands, Serbia and Cote D'ivore

Italy....(who ended up winning the whole thing)
Ghana....solid African team with plenty of talent
Czech Republic....(was highly listed as a contender prior to the WC)
US

Argentina and the Netherlands where the favorites to get out of that group and they did.

I just don't think most people in the United States are ever going to be big fans of soccer. I lived in Italy for four years and the fans go nuts for it, but people here just don't seem to appreciate the game and think that if you don't score tons of goals it is not worth watching. :rolleyes:

I just don't think most people in the United States are ever going to be big fans of soccer. I lived in Italy for four years and the fans go nuts for it, but people here just don't seem to appreciate the game and think that if you don't score tons of goals it is not worth watching. :rolleyes:

Yeah. But it can catch on IMO, If done properly. It'll be tough but impossible is nothing....:lol:

Italy....(who ended up winning the whole thing)
Ghana....solid African team with plenty of talent
Czech Republic....(was highly listed as a contender prior to the WC)
US

Argentina and the Netherlands where the favorites to get out of that group and they did.

Of course Italy was good, But Czech republic was a complete dissappointment, as was the US (and you know this)

Argentina played a heck of a wc, actually they could have been in semis but Pekerman made a bad mistake with the entry of julio cruz instead of Messi. And they got unlucky when they lost Abbondansieri and Franco came in completely scared.

Netherlands lost to portugal in one of the ugliest, violent games I have ever seen, and they should have won. Only Van Basten got outcoached.

Cote D'ivory almost managed to classify, and did it playing wondeful soccer, just as good as ghana or better

Serbia was a terrible disappointment.

Never mind yer tough WC group try Scotlands EURO2008 one -

Italy
France
Ukraine

Hmm world cup finalists and a team in the last 8 :(

But...... we are winning the group :D :D :D

Latest news is that his MLS official contract is 5yrs/$51M (10.2M per season). The balance to get the $199M is from endorsements, etc

Back
Top Bottom