David Beckham to sign with MLS L.A. Galaxy | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

David Beckham to sign with MLS L.A. Galaxy

Beckham is an excellent pick up for the MLS. I don't like Beckham much. He was always a player who never lived up to expectations and failed to be the superstar. He was a good player but never a great player.
Now he is on the declining curve anyways.

But beause of success in the Premier League and marketing he is a household name around the globe - even in the US.

This will put MLS by default in some Prime Time slots on TV. Most of the money is - as was stated in this thread - through "sponsorship". To get its money worth these advertisers and 'endorsers' have to put him on TV. He definitly is good enough to have some impact in the MLS, and he will be the face of MLS.

It will also put MLS on the map, yes with a declining soccer player, but not totally washed up like the old soccer league with Pele, Beckenbauer and Co. It will peak interest in the MLS. One of the major hold backs was always the money and the player designation philosophy. Now that is opened up a little.

Kinda curious what will happen to MLS in the next few years.

I would consider myslef a casual fan, I watch the WC, but not much outside of that...I think this will help US soccer, if for nothing else, it will get more soccer on TV...If I was able to watch it on a more consistent basis, and if I had a team to get behind, I could see myself becoming a much bigger fan...

As far as soccer being boring, I used to think that too, until I actually watched it....

But on the contrary Americans go nuts over a 200 inning -no hitter baseball game.

Waiting for a pitcher to throw the ball these days puts you in a state of decomposing.:shakeno:

so true... see that is one game that will never be understood outside of the us and the caribbean.

I laugh when sportscasters say he is the "greatest player" to come play in the United States.......I remember guys like Pele, Beckenbauer, Giorgio Chinaglia, etc., all coming up and they were going to make soccer a big sport here.....it never happened. I doubt the MLS will even be here in 5 years, let alone Bechkham. :rolleyes:

LA Fans and BBC Fans Go Off about Beckham - Listen

This segment was very entertaining.

For me this was a great segment between Los Angeles Fans Reaction and British Fans Reactions to Beckham.

KLAC Sports AM 570 Hooked with BBC Radio and both were LIVE.

http://a1135.g.akamai.net/f/1135/18227/1h/cchannel.download.akamai.com/18227/podcast/LOSANGELES-CA/KLAC-AM/070112%20BBC%20Simulcast%20on%20Beckham.mp3?CPROG=PCAST&MARKET=LOSANGELES-CA&NG_FORMAT=sports&SITE_ID=727&STATION_ID=KLAC-AM&PCAST_AUTHOR=Loose_Cannons&PCAST_CAT=Arts_&_Entertainment&PCAST_TITLE=Loose_Cannons__Podcast

KLAC Sportscaster

The crazy LOUD LA sportscaster is Vick "the Brick" Jacobs. He's overtop with energy

Micheal Thompson the former Lakers from the Showtime Era

Steve Hartman a UCLA grad who knows more about sports then the Schaub

Why soccer is not successful in the US is because no money was ever put into soccer. No promotion, No nice Venue, No Star player because the salary suck and doesnt attract good athlete to pursue the sport. Mainly its because soccer is not in the public eye. The English Premier League is great soccer but they play at 5am in the states and most dont have the fox sport soccer channel. Look at the top sports in the US and their top salary for their players. The avg. $20Mill/yr for their respected sports. The same in Europe for soccer players $20Mill/yr for players like Ronaldino. of course if you have athletic skills in the US your gonna play Football, Basketball, and Baseball. Vice Versa for Europe and Latin America.

I hope this Beckham signing will create a vacuum effect over the next couple of years to attract top players. This is like a Dwade or Kobe leaving the NBA for Europe.

Bend it like Beckham > Ride it like a Ford

Wow, he brings back memories of that Hiddink coached dutch team in 98... so nice to watch them.

Still he is also in the downside, but it is sweet to see that MLS is starting to move for big names.

Wasn't that what the MLS higher ups were hoping for when Beckham was signed? To attract big names?

so true... see that is one game that will never be understood outside of the us and the caribbean.

And Japan.

Wow, he brings back memories of that Hiddink coached dutch team in 98... so nice to watch them.

Still he is also in the downside, but it is sweet to see that MLS is starting to move for big names.

Comon, Davids a big name ? Maybe 10 years ago but the poor fellow should have retired in 2004. He was only brought on by Jol (free transfer) for leadership which, to his credit he has provided for a young Spurs team. But he doesn't have the pace or passing ability anymore to be considered a 'big name'. Honestly, the MLS looks more like the new Qatar than anything else to me.

Back
Top Bottom