David Beckham to sign with MLS L.A. Galaxy | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

David Beckham to sign with MLS L.A. Galaxy

I just don't think most people in the United States are ever going to be big fans of soccer. I lived in Italy for four years and the fans go nuts for it, but people here just don't seem to appreciate the game and think that if you don't score tons of goals it is not worth watching. :rolleyes:

Americans don't like soccer for a simple reason, it's boring. We have come up with more entertaining games. Sure there are exciting moments, but for the most part nothing happens except guys falling as if they've been shot by a howitzer.

The only way soccer has a chance of catching here is if the best players in the world come to America to play, and that's not happening. Instead, we get the superstars who are washed up and come here for their final act.

This Beckham signing is simply him trying to make some type of transition to Hollywood, as everyone is tiring of him in Europe. This wil be a non story soon enough, as again NO ONE CARES ABOUT SOCCER.

I played indoor soccer for one year and one year only. Never liked regulation soccer. I had a hell of a time playing indoor soccer. More fast paced, smaller field, much more action and fun.

Regulation soccer stinks b/c 1-0 is considered a good game. I for one like entertainment, and soccer to me, is not entertainment

Americans don't like soccer for a simple reason, it's boring. We have come up with more entertaining games. Sure there are exciting moments, but for the most part nothing happens except guys falling as if they've been shot by a howitzer.

The only way soccer has a chance of catching here is if the best players in the world come to America to play, and that's not happening. Instead, we get the superstars who are washed up and come here for their final act.

This Beckham signing is simply him trying to make some type of transition to Hollywood, as everyone is tiring of him in Europe. This wil be a non story soon enough, as again NO ONE CARES ABOUT SOCCER.

See this is just ignorant speak, you have any idea how many times i speak with soccer fans here that tell me that it is stupid that I like American Football because it is just boring? I mean who wants to watch a bunch of stupid brutes getting all mixed in a wad and hiting each other, not to mention that every 30 seconds they send to comercials, and most of the game is actually spent watching things people want to sell to you.

Soccer is (and I hate to say this in a football forum, considering I love football so much) by far the most beautiful game out there, no other game produces such fanatism, such love towards teams, I mean not a single, and i mean not a single team in the NFL has half the following of say Barcelona, or Arsenal, heck they don't have the following and the passion that say Boca Juniors or River Plate... You think a Bears-Packers game is a rivalry? You say that because you have never lived Chivas-America, you have never lived Real Madrid-Barcelona, you have never lived River-Boca, even the smaller rivalries in soccer are more impressive, heck I dare you to walk into Mexico 68 and watch a Pumas-América and not feel the chills of how important that game is (and I am not even a fan of either of these teams).

WAnna go even further? The single most important sporting event in the whole world is the World Cup...- People who don't follow soccer follow the World Cup, people get killed for results in it, that is the level of passion.

Is there a bunch of boring games, yes of course there is, and the obsession that has been rampant lately of fielding 5-4-1 teams which makes for terribly boring soccer (or the fact that two of the most boring teams in soccer made it to the World Cup finals) shows that it is definetely a game that is moving towards getting the result instead of fun games... but lemme tell you that it is not much fun to watch the damn bears win games 9-3, or the ravens win games in that same way.

Now if you have a chance to watch Barcelona really playing a game, that is a treat, even if they only score once, if Brazil is really playing, not just sleepwalking, that is something to behold. Netherlands in the '98 world cup (pretty much any time coached by Gus Hiddink), I mean when you watch a good game of soccer, few things are more excited.

(try out the Champions league finals between Liverpool and AC Milán, try out the one between Bayern Munich and Manchester United, if you can't see the amazing elements of the game when watching those games, you really will never get soccer)

Never mind yer tough WC group try Scotlands EURO2008 one -

Italy
France
Ukraine

Hmm world cup finalists and a team in the last 8 :(

But...... we are winning the group :D :D :D

Now that is a tough group... and I hate telling you this, but you guys are the favorites to finish last I am sure.

I love Eurocup, WC is far more passionate, but the Euro is by far the nation's tournament with the best soccer.

I wish American teams took the Copa America seriously, it could be a good tournament, but it can't be when Argentina and Brazil send in their under 21 teams.

Last good copa america I saw, Enzo Francescoli was still playing (and what a treat watching him was)

I agree 100% with what Totore says. You have no clue of what you are talking about. Soccer is the number one sport in the World...that is a fact.

Its funny the soccer people are saying this will greatly help US soccer.

But the thing is, its the people that arent huge soccer fans that have the final say in this and 95% of us still wont care about the MLS. I dont hate soccer, I really enjoy the WC. But the fact is American people dont care about the growth of soccer within our country. It has about as much chance as Curling at becoming a huge sport here.

I agree 100% with what Totore says. You have no clue of what you are talking about. Soccer is the number one sport in the World...that is a fact.

Quelonio, Totore is the other dude, he is not quite as handsome as I am :tongue:

it will, from the very fact that this news made it to be big in ESPN and SI, from how the WC was followed so strongly in an american Football forum...

Soccer will replace hockey as the 4th strongest sport in america, specially as the latino populace keeps on growing. And as the youth of america that is playing more soccer.
4th strongest sport? I will say 5th, as Golf is more attractive than Hockey and Soccer currently in the US. As long as Tiger Woods is active, it will remain that way.

Not sure if I agree that ALL AMERICANS don't care about soccer; I'm sure atleast 5% of the United States watch it, but I agree with most of what you said.

Soccer won't be big in America because of David Beckham. Untill the United States wins the World Cup (:lol:), then I think that will win over some fans.

It's just not our sport and it's not popular. Just like the NFL isn't very popular in Europe.

Not sure if I agree that ALL AMERICANS don't care about soccer; I'm sure atleast 5% of the United States watch it, but I agree with most of what you said.

Soccer won't be big in America because of David Beckham. Untill the United States wins the World Cup (:lol:), then I think that will win over some fans.

It's just not our sport and it's not popular. Just like the NFL isn't very popular in Europe.

I would not laugh at that, especially if Klinsmann or Pekerman do move in to coach the team.

It could help Soccer in the US. Even if he is past his prime.

If you don't care about soccer then why the hell are you posting in a soccer thread?

I have no interest what so ever in the NBA (bores me to tears) or NASCAR (yeeeeehawwwwwww.....turn left) but I've never posted in any NASCAR or NBA related thread. Something I've never understood, people posting in a thread when they have ZERO interest in the subject matter.

:sidelol:

I just don't think most people in the United States are ever going to be big fans of soccer. I lived in Italy for four years and the fans go nuts for it, but people here just don't seem to appreciate the game and think that if you don't score tons of goals it is not worth watching. :rolleyes:

But on the contrary Americans go nuts over a 200 inning -no hitter baseball game.

Waiting for a pitcher to throw the ball these days puts you in a state of decomposing.:shakeno:

Back
Top Bottom