Defensive scheme | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Defensive scheme

Samikit

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
Miami signed their starting cornerbacks record setting deals at the time.... Why in the hell do they play zone 99% of the time? Every wr was wide open yesterday. When you pay both corners that much, you better play man most of the time.

Last edited:
I don’t remember Jones or Howard getting beat. Most of the damage through the air, as I recall, came from passes across the middle, assumably because our LBs had to play QB spy due to Newton’s running threat

Exactly my point. They didn't get beat because they were not always covering wrs. They need to be playing man coverage on the best receivers. Otherwise, why did you pay them so much money??

Miami signed their starting cornerbacks record setting deals at the time.... Why in the hell do they play zone 99% of the time? Every wr was wide open yesterday. When you pay both corners that much, you better play man most of the time.
I don't believe that had anything to do with the loss.

If you only score 11, and turn the ball over 3 times, you aren't winning very many game, regardless of the D scheme.

A bigger critique of the D, is that they still didn't set the edge, nor were they stout inside the tackles, against the run.

Exactly my point. They didn't get beat because they were not always covering wrs. They need to be playing man coverage on the best receivers. Otherwise, why did you pay them so much money??
Do you really know who they were both covering on every play, and what the splits were between man and zone? I agree that the defensive scheme sucked but it wasnt because of where or how we had our cb's playing. We only allowed 155 yards passing, and less than 100 yards of that was to WR's. The Pat's ran for 217 yards, and 75 of those came from their QB who we had absolutely no idea how to stop. Hell I dont think they needed to throw a single pass to beat us yesterday.

My biggest complain about our defense yesterday was that when we scored and made it a 3 point game, we needed our defense to get us the ball back. instead they let the pats go all the way down(they got pushed around on that drive) as if our defense wasn't even on the field and that sealed the game for NE. Not socking tho cause over the years whenever our offense scores it seems as the defense give it right back up.

So yes, the offense didn't do enough to win but when the defense needed to step up....well they just didn't do it.

I don't believe that had anything to do with the loss.

If you only score 11, and turn the ball over 3 times, you aren't winning very many game, regardless of the D scheme.

A bigger critique of the D, is that they still didn't set the edge, nor were they stout inside the tackles, against the run.

Agree. NE had ~140 air yards and 210+ rush yards - over 5YPC. The problem wasn't X and Jones

Can Newton is/was a bad matchup for our defense.

I can live with him using his size and running ability to beat us because that is not a sustainable offense.

New England did a great job of exploiting our weakness with their lone real strength. Do I think Cam Newton and Patriots have a bright future? Absolute not.

Other than the Fitzpatrick INTs yesterday pretty much went the way I expected it would.

If you have Jordan Howard on your FF team this is the time to dump him.

My biggest complain about our defense yesterday was that when we scored and made it a 3 point game, we needed our defense to get us the ball back. instead they let the pats go all the way down(they got pushed around on that drive) as if our defense wasn't even on the field and that sealed the game for NE. Not socking tho cause over the years whenever our offense scores it seems as the defense give it right back up.

So yes, the offense didn't do enough to win but when the defense needed to step up....well they just didn't do it.
Under normal conditions I'd agree but I think TOP in the 3rd qtr gassed the defense. I hoped the offense scoring prior to that drive gave them enough rest but the defense had hands on hips a couple plays into that game clinching drive. Only giving up 21 made that a very winnable game but only scoring 11 and turning it over 3 times took them out of it.

This part of the game was what surprised me the most. Never thought the team would look so unprepared. No further adjustments were made after the initial adjustment made during the 1st half.

Flores looked lost. The fear of the defense being, a bunch of paper tigers was realized on Sunday, at least for this game.

I don’t remember Jones or Howard getting beat. Most of the damage through the air, as I recall, came from passes across the middle, assumably because our LBs had to play QB spy due to Newton’s running threat
Exactly. Miami stacked the line and still couldn't stop the run. That was the issue on defense.

Under normal conditions I'd agree but I think TOP in the 3rd qtr gassed the defense. I hoped the offense scoring prior to that drive gave them enough rest but the defense had hands on hips a couple plays into that game clinching drive. Only giving up 21 made that a very winnable game but only scoring 11 and turning it over 3 times took them out of it.
Yeah I'm not excusing the offense but we had just driven down to score then got the two point and then you get your KO.......the defense had plenty of time to rest there. They were just manhandled by NE on that drive and that's on the defense.

In a game like this where you have no idea what the Offensive is going to run (having a new QB with completely different skill set for the first time in 20 years, and having no preseason film) but knowing the QB has the pension for running the ball, Zone coverage is your best option. Running man in this game the Secondary locks onto one man and turns their back to the LOS following the receiver. This would have allow for even more running lanes for Cam having our DB's trailing a WR/TE/RB in man coverage. Zone coverage allows you to keep your eyes toward the LOS and see if they are passing or if he is going to take off running. It was poorly executed but the scheme for the game today was correct based on the information we had.

People here seem to forget we lost 62-0 last year in the opening with a full OTA's, Training Camp, Preseason, and we lost by 10 to a very good team with no idea how they were going to run their offense and no film to study.

Last edited:
IMO the hallmark to the Cheats consistency has been internal consistency + OL. Their OL looked sharp and executed very well on pulls, traps etc. They got their #1 C back who made a difference. They won on the LOS and never had to play from a deficit position -- allowing them to just keep playing to their strengths. Our inability to run the ball effectively coupled with their handling our receivers (with a lot of crap that should have been called IMO) pretty much shut down our truncated O.

It was pretty obvious the way the game was going to be called re Cheats DBs -- the outcome was never in doubt. If Fitz could have extended plays and our guys get away from the mugging -- we could have made some plays. I honestly don't remember ever watching a game where the receivers were getting "handled" so aggressively and often with so few calls...

I guess we need to teach our WRs to push off and get really physical with DBs if the refs are going to allow unchecked action by the DBs!

Back
Top Bottom