Defensive scheme | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Defensive scheme

I guess we need to teach our WRs to push off and get really physical with DBs if the refs are going to allow unchecked action by the DBs!

And then we would be treated to watching the refs call OPI all day.

Belichick has the refs in his back pocket.

I keep telling myself that Miami's defense will rise to the occasion. Gone are the days of Zach, Jason, Ogun, Madison and Surtain.

They've not been able to stop the run since just before Philbin was sent packing.

It all starts up front and Miami still hasn't found an answer. Gotta hope these new coaches aren't in over their head?

I keep telling myself that Miami's defense will rise to the occasion. Gone are the days of Zach, Jason, Ogun, Madison and Surtain.

They've not been able to stop the run since just before Philbin was sent packing.

It all starts up front and Miami still hasn't found an answer. Gotta hope these new coaches aren't in over their head?
To be honest, some of those players you mention were very good, but they never really "rose to the occasion" as a team when it mattered either.

NE was smart. They didn't challenge the boundaries at all. Not Cam's strength. RUN RUN RUN and if they had to pass it was crossing routes and stuff over the middle. NE will struggle if they have to play from behind with Cam. I would not be surprised if Seattle beats them pretty easily this week

Not disagreeing, but Miami won't face the Cam run option every week. We'll see how they do against Allen

Your CBs will see a big step up in talent from the NE WRs to Diggs and Brown, add in Beasley and Davis and I think this is going to be a fun battle to watch. Then again maybe Knox and the RBs get featured against your LBers this week.

The pats hardly threw the ball, the corner scheme was not the issue yesterday

Miami signed their starting cornerbacks record setting deals at the time.... Why in the hell do they play zone 99% of the time? Every wr was wide open yesterday. When you pay both corners that much, you better play man most of the time.

When dbs and lbs turn their backs on heavy running qbs to ccover man to man you are at a much higher risk of the qb taking off and getting big gains. Not saying that means you play zone all the time, but playing man makes you vulnerable.

Your CBs will see a big step up in talent from the NE WRs to Diggs and Brown, add in Beasley and Davis and I think this is going to be a fun battle to watch. Then again maybe Knox and the RBs get featured against your LBers this week.

thats best case scenario and what this team is set up to do. We’ve got athletes that can run and cover at the second level. You do that w/ us and I’m feeling good

play fake roll outs w/ Allen, and get Singletary some runs from passing formations. I didn’t catch your game but if you were Running anything power w/ moss I’d plan on that too

that’s what you wanna do. We shipped off our only backer that can do something about it at the moment

thats best case scenario and what this team is set up to do. We’ve got athletes that can run and cover at the second level. You do that w/ us and I’m feeling good

play fake roll outs w/ Allen, and get Singletary some runs from passing formations. I didn’t catch your game but if you were Running anything power w/ moss I’d plan on that too

that’s what you wanna do. We shipped off our only backer that can do something about it at the moment
We didnt show alot in the Run Game. Mostly Read Options with Josh. Then there was a ton of misdirection. But no power running and none of the running schemes I saw last year. The Game plane against the Jets was to exploit their thin DBs and that is what they did. Though we did RUN effectively all different types of Screens

Reactions: A1.
The patriots wrs had 10 receptions for 96 yards, by comparison Miami's had 11 for 126. I really don't think the Patriots' passing game was the defining factor yesterday. It was more about the running game, keeping the New England 3rd down situations manageable and not making the key plays in the 4th quarter when needed. Miami trailed 14-11 in the 4th quarter, about as good as we could hope for considering how the game played out the first 3 quarters. Just gave up the long drive and the td, where even if they just held the Patriots to a fg the Dolphins would have been in good shape. Lots of areas to work on defensively (offensively too), but overall if Miami has held their opponent to 14 points going into the 4th period that's a vast improvement from what we saw last season and if they do that week in and week out the Dolphins will win their share of games. Just keep telling yourself... "offense didn't play well, defense didn't play well, lost the turnover margin 3-0 and still trailed by only a field goal in the 4th quarter in Foxboro." In recent years under the circumstances Miami's down 30-6 at halftime in games like that.

Last edited:
He only threw for 155 yards and scored 21 points.....that is with us having 3 turnovers. We got CBs who can play man, so we can put pressure on the QB with our line. The turnovers killed us period. This will be a different match up next time we play.

The Dolphins constantly hire DC’s who have never been DC’s in the NFL. It’s like the Dolphins are a training ground for first time defensive coordinators. Hopefully Boyer will turn out to be better than the many previous first time defensive coordinators the Dolphins have hired in recent years but yesterday certainly left a lot to be desired.

He only threw for 155 yards and scored 21 points.....that is with us having 3 turnovers. We got CBs who can play man, so we can put pressure on the QB with our line. The turnovers killed us period. This will be a different match up next time we play.
He really didn’t need to pass because the Patriots were running the ball at will against the Dolphins defense. While I agree they only scored 21 points. The fact is their kicker missed what should have been a very easy FG for an NFL kicker and they lost a TD when their player lost a fumble while attempting to score.
The game really wasn’t as close as the score indicated it was but hopefully the Dolphins will improve as the season goes along.

Back
Top Bottom