Defensive scheme | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Defensive scheme

I keep telling myself that Miami's defense will rise to the occasion. Gone are the days of Zach, Jason, Ogun, Madison and Surtain.

They've not been able to stop the run since just before Philbin was sent packing.

It all starts up front and Miami still hasn't found an answer. Gotta hope these new coaches aren't in over their head?
Paul Soliai ... those were the days when I remember us stopping the run. It's been a looooooooooooooooooooooooong time since then though. :/

We have had good defenses ... but we never seem to have a good offense. Here's hoping Coach Flo can build the type of defense he coached in New England, and at the same time maybe build a decent offense. Right now ... neither is good enough. Last year the offense was decent in the latter part of the year, but the defense was horrible. In the first game I saw some encouraging things, including a defense that--while still unable to stop the run or even a running QB--wasn't as bad as last year. Also, our OL looks to have some potential to pass protect .... for the first time since .... forever?

Silver linings, but hey, it's something right?

He really didn’t need to pass because the Patriots were running the ball at will against the Dolphins defense. While I agree they only scored 21 points. The fact is their kicker missed what should have been a very easy FG for an NFL kicker and they lost a TD when their player lost a fumble while attempting to score.
The game really wasn’t as close as the score indicated it was but hopefully the Dolphins will improve as the season goes along.
I do believe we had a couple of turn overs while in scoring position as well. The game was close and the 3 turnovers cost us.

Miami signed their starting cornerbacks record setting deals at the time.... Why in the hell do they play zone 99% of the time? Every wr was wide open yesterday. When you pay both corners that much, you better play man most of the time.
not sure what game you were watching but they played zero which killed us. they had lbs chasing rbs taking them out of the box. if we played zone more we may have been better off

Paul Soliai ... those were the days when I remember us stopping the run. It's been a looooooooooooooooooooooooong time since then though. :/

We have had good defenses ... but we never seem to have a good offense. Here's hoping Coach Flo can build the type of defense he coached in New England, and at the same time maybe build a decent offense. Right now ... neither is good enough. Last year the offense was decent in the latter part of the year, but the defense was horrible. In the first game I saw some encouraging things, including a defense that--while still unable to stop the run or even a running QB--wasn't as bad as last year. Also, our OL looks to have some potential to pass protect .... for the first time since .... forever?

Silver linings, but hey, it's something right?
Paul Soliai and Kendall Langford. Two great run stoppers.

Small LB’s, run at them, slow them with miss direction and run at them. Somebody said it earlier “we traded our thumper LBfor fast cover backers, and NE took advantage. Letting Cam around the end killed us later in the game, I thought we might be better there? Oh well it’s a start and its better than last years opener...

I don't believe that had anything to do with the loss.

If you only score 11, and turn the ball over 3 times, you aren't winning very many game, regardless of the D scheme.

A bigger critique of the D, is that they still didn't set the edge, nor were they stout inside the tackles, against the run.
Nailed it.....

I get that our coaches like versatility, but I still don’t get why we don’t have a real NT on the roster. If you are going to sell out to stop the run, might as well have a massive space eater in the middle. Damon Harrison and Marcell Dareus are both FAs still...just saying.

Pats only threw for 155 yards and it was mostly safe stuff. W the run D giving up 200+ you’d think Cam would have hit some long ones.

oh and just a rant about how the Pats always get an “A” no matter who they draft. They got an “A” for taking that scrub WR Harry. Can he officially be labeled a bust yet? You expect that kind of boneheaded play from the fins not the pats players.

We didnt show alot in the Run Game. Mostly Read Options with Josh. Then there was a ton of misdirection. But no power running and none of the running schemes I saw last year. The Game plane against the Jets was to exploit their thin DBs and that is what they did. Though we did RUN effectively all different types of Screens
A younger more talented version of Cam, plus a lot of screen plays, - This could get ugly real fast on Sunday. Our D better step up big time.

Sure the defense had its issues and got shredded for 200+ rushing yards but in 2020’s NFL opposing offenses are going to score. It’s typically not a matter of if but when. So in my eyes holding them to only 21 points is significant especially considering we handed them the ball three separate times. It’s even more impressive when you realize that we didn’t get to the Patriots side of the field until the second half.

21 points is nothing in today’s NFL, you just have to score and keep up.

Back
Top Bottom