Defensive scheme | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Defensive scheme

Is it scheme or players.

When an offense comes out with the idea they're going to run on you - it's up to you to force them to change. Patriots faced a 3rd and 19 on their first drive I think. They never faced longer than a 3rd and 6 the rest of the game.

There are no defensive schemes designed to win facing 2nd and 1 all day.

I say both. The DL seemed to get pushed around and the LBs seemed a step behind. AND the D scheme looked as if there had been no planning
I say neither.

So many new, young parts, and a nonexistent preseason, I will reserve judgement for at least a couple games.

I get it if ppl prefer a more "traditional" scheme, but I like Flo's approach.

I say neither.

So many new, young parts, and a nonexistent preseason, I will reserve judgement for at least a couple games.

I get it if ppl prefer a more "traditional" scheme, but I like Flo's approach.

True on all points and, having watched more football since the Miami games, quite a few teams looked sloppy. Still, the DL didn't seem to stop the option and the D scheme seemed like 'well, let's try something else. However, as you may remember, I've been saying since spring I'll make a complete assessment based on games 9>16

NE was smart. They didn't challenge the boundaries at all. Not Cam's strength. RUN RUN RUN and if they had to pass it was crossing routes and stuff over the middle. NE will struggle if they have to play from behind with Cam. I would not be surprised if Seattle beats them pretty easily this week

Which is what Is so odd about Miami’s counter. They didn’t counter. They allowed Cam to play what he and NE was most comfortable with. Miami didn’t challenge Cam’s ability to throw on the boundaries to receivers he’s still getting to know. Miami didn’t stack the box And the damn edges consistently while dropping different personnel in those spaces. Especially in the zone we’re Edelman was like to run on those quick throws.

Seems like Belichick came in with the idea he wanted to avoid Miami's strength (secondary) and attack the weakness (front 7). I think that guy might have a future in the league someday.

If you’re Miami, who in the front 7 ate you replacing first? And is there anyone at the top of the draft you’d target?

Which is what Is so odd about Miami’s counter. They didn’t counter. They allowed Cam to play what he and NE was most comfortable with. Miami didn’t challenge Cam’s ability to throw on the boundaries to receivers he’s still getting to know. Miami didn’t stack the box And the damn edges consistently while dropping different personnel in those spaces. Especially in the zone we’re Edelman was like to run on those quick throws.
Yeah it’s like New England’s game plan was run run run, control the clock. Miami couldn’t stop it for a half. New England continued the gameplay in the 2nd half. Miami seemed to have never adjusted.

If you’re Miami, who in the front 7 ate you replacing first? And is there anyone at the top of the draft you’d target?

Micah Parsons. You have a shot at him as long as they can maintain a pick somewhere in that top 10.

If he's gone, you'd have to start looking at some defensive lineman and I'm not entirely sold on one in the top 10 at this point. In that case I'd probably move on to another position that high, but there's a few kids that I like that are good fits and can be had a little bit later.

If I were a betting man - which I am by the way - I think Miami has a decent shot to pick around #8 or #9. Or both.

Miami signed their starting cornerbacks record setting deals at the time.... Why in the hell do they play zone 99% of the time? Every wr was wide open yesterday. When you pay both corners that much, you better play man most of the time.
One of the reasons - Howard is not 100% yet. And I might be wrong but zone coverage is the best way to stop that Read-Option as well.

One of the reasons - Howard is not 100% yet. And I might be wrong but zone coverage is the best way to stop that Read-Option as well.
You are not wrong, and once we chose to put 10 guys within 5yds of LOS, man wasn't really an option.

You would have guys turning their backs to the play at the snap.

Bottomline, the D-Coordinator called a conservative game plan and allowed NE to dictate the game. He didn't utliize that high price secondary and dared Cam to beat him with his arm.

Back
Top Bottom