denver papers - clarett better than brown/williams | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

denver papers - clarett better than brown/williams

duss12 said:
How many backs do you need on a team anyways

i agree but Clarett will get the 1st load of the Offense, Bell will be the short yardage back and Dayne however will prob be released if he doesnt perform well in preseason

Denver shmenver...they are the masters of the chop-block their line isnt that great and neither are their backs...all the D-lineman that play against them spend 50% of the time guarding their knees...shannahans a shmuck for fighting to keep that crap in the NFL.

zeke0123 said:
Denver shmenver...they are the masters of the chop-block their line isnt that great and neither are their backs...all the D-lineman that play against them spend 50% of the time guarding their knees...shannahans a shmuck for fighting to keep that crap in the NFL.

There are a lot of teams in the NFL who use this type of running scheme. Denver just does it the best. Denver has had some damn good backs since Shanahan has been there. Their OL seems pretty good to me. Did you forget how our OL was last year? I'd take theirs in a heartbeat! It is all legal what they do, and they do it the best. How could you blame them?

dominizzo said:
i agree but Clarett will get the 1st load of the Offense, Bell will be the short yardage back and Dayne however will prob be released if he doesnt perform well in preseason

Tatum Bell will run 1st team & Mo will split short yardage duty /w Mike Anderson.

Im guessing you havent read some interviews from Ex denver lineman most of those guys dont like diving into the back of other players knees...it should have been banned a long time ago (chop-blocking) sure their scheme is nice but the way they finish plays is chickensh*t. It will get banned (the NFL is taking a long hard look at it right now) and it wont be soon enough imo.

People are giving a lot of props to a guy that only has 12 college football starts since high school. Sounds errily familiar to a situation we are currently going through right now. Granted he'll probably just be a 3rd string Rb and our guy is vying to start, but prob should be a 3rd stringer also.

I think Clarett if he ends up the starter will be benched because Tatum Bell I think can be a great runningback on any team.

Clarett.... Small, Slow, with issues and alot of rust. He has talent, but his stats were inflated his freshman year, and they won it without him. I don't see him lighting up the NFL his 1st year... they have plenty of RB depth to spread the carries.

It's America, baby. Everyone's entitled to their opinion. Even if it's totally stupid. Just because he writes for paper doens't make him a genius.

duss12 said:
How many backs do you need on a team anyways
I would have to say each team would need and should have 3 or 4 active running backs on their team. For Denver I think it's going to be Tatum Bell, Maurice Clarett, Mike Anderson (if you want to consider him RB), and the man that everyone is forgetting... Quentin Griffin.

AirChambers84 said:
Clarett.... Small, Slow, with issues and alot of rust. He has talent, but his stats were inflated his freshman year, and they won it without him. I don't see him lighting up the NFL his 1st year... they have plenty of RB depth to spread the carries.

They won what without him? When Ohio St. was without Clarett they clearly were not the same team, in fact very lucky to survive at Cincinnati via two dropped passes in the end zone in the final minute. Miami had tons of first round defenders yet Clarett was able to stick it in the end zone during the critical red zone possessions. Plus that strip of Sean Taylor displayed special ability and instinct. I'm not able to set that aside while evaluating Clarett.

The last time Maurice Clarett stepped on the football field he was considered a superior player to Ronnie Brown. In fact, far superior. As I have mentioned many times I default to early evaluation almost without exception, and am generally unimpressed with late vaults up the charts. Not to say Clarett is better or equal to Ronnie Brown, but the difference is likely much less than posters here or elsewhere like to believe.

Awsi Dooger said:
They won what without him? When Ohio St. was without Clarett they clearly were not the same team, in fact very lucky to survive at Cincinnati via two dropped passes in the end zone in the final minute. Miami had tons of first round defenders yet Clarett was able to stick it in the end zone during the critical red zone possessions. Plus that strip of Sean Taylor displayed special ability and instinct. I'm not able to set that aside while evaluating Clarett.

The last time Maurice Clarett stepped on the football field he was considered a superior player to Ronnie Brown. In fact, far superior. As I have mentioned many times I default to early evaluation almost without exception, and am generally unimpressed with late vaults up the charts. Not to say Clarett is better or equal to Ronnie Brown, but the difference is likely much less than posters here or elsewhere like to believe.

I think a big reason why Clarett got so much attention compared to Brown in 2002 was because Clarett's team was undefeated, while Brown's Tigers lost 4 games.

Comparison of each players 2002 stats...

Maurice Clarett
222 car | 1237 yds | 5.6 ypc | 16 TDs
12 rec | 104 yds | 8.7 ypc | 2 TDs

Ronnie Brown
175 car | 1008 yds | 5.8 ypc | 13 TDs
9 recs | 166 yds | 18.4 ypc | 1 TD

I mean, Clarett was definitely a difference-maker. Ohio State clearly was not the same team without him. But they didn't have much behind him (Lydell Ross??). Conversely, Ronnie was splitting time with #5 overall pick Cadillac Williams (and even stud Tre Smith...watch out for this kid). Once Ronnie Brown took over for Cadillac in 2002, he played well. Ronnie's 6 starts (all down the stretch) are as follows...

at Florida:
22-163-2 TD
1-54-1 TD (receiving)

LSU:
18-95-2 TD

at Ole Miss:
33-224-3 TD

Louisiana Monroe
9-41 (game out of hand early)

at Georgia
25-124-1 TD
2-33

at Alabama
Injured DNP

Penn State (Bowl Game)
37-184-2

I think Ronnie deserved a lot of attention after that stretch run. Don't know if Clarett was a far superior player then (or even better).

maven said:
Denver didn't have a pick till late in the 6th round. They probably figured Mo would be gone by the 6th round. So Denver decides to draft him with one of their comp picks. I think it was a good gamble by Denver. I don't expect Mo to play much this year 'cause Tatum Bell will run for 1500 yards. I expect Mo to be used in short yardage situations and at the goaline. Mo will learn & I expect him to start in a couple of years. He's still a very young guy & has plenty of time to develop. There's no rush to start him with Tatum Bell there.

I don't know if Bell will rush for 1500 yds, I think Griffin will get some of the carries, with Clarett probably being the 3rd RB in Denver.

cHaNgE said:
i live in donkey country and i just thought it was funny that they would have such an article, couldnt find it on tha net, but its on paper at home, and basically it says clarett was a better value pick than brown or williams and they he will not only have more yards, but will start more games and play longer than either player
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.......Oh, you were serious!

Muck said:
I think a big reason why Clarett got so much attention compared to Brown in 2002 was because Clarett's team was undefeated, while Brown's Tigers lost 4 games.

Comparison of each players 2002 stats...

Maurice Clarett
222 car | 1237 yds | 5.6 ypc | 16 TDs
12 rec | 104 yds | 8.7 ypc | 2 TDs

Ronnie Brown
175 car | 1008 yds | 5.8 ypc | 13 TDs
9 recs | 166 yds | 18.4 ypc | 1 TD

I mean, Clarett was definitely a difference-maker. Ohio State clearly was not the same team without him. But they didn't have much behind him (Lydell Ross??). Conversely, Ronnie was splitting time with #5 overall pick Cadillac Williams (and even stud Tre Smith...watch out for this kid). Once Ronnie Brown took over for Cadillac in 2002, he played well. Ronnie's 6 starts (all down the stretch) are as follows...

at Florida:
22-163-2 TD
1-54-1 TD (receiving)

LSU:
18-95-2 TD

at Ole Miss:
33-224-3 TD

Louisiana Monroe
9-41 (game out of hand early)

at Georgia
25-124-1 TD
2-33

at Alabama
Injured DNP

Penn State (Bowl Game)
37-184-2

I think Ronnie deserved a lot of attention after that stretch run. Don't know if Clarett was a far superior player then (or even better).
Character, character, character..... Ronnie is a good person, he won't wind up in jail, holding out or puffing away his carear. The stats are very compleeing Muck, but Ronnie is also a selfless person. That's who I want on my team!

Back
Top Bottom