Despite all the denials here…We are aggressively trying to upgrade our RB room | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Despite all the denials here…We are aggressively trying to upgrade our RB room

I've been wondering the same thing. Coach McD knows this guy better than most, so it'll be interesting if he thinks he can get anything out of LANCE. And, of course, at what price?

The price has to be very very very low.
What's your opinion of him, I don't really follow the guy but he seems to be pretty bad.

The millions of posts on the Dalvin Cook threads show that we fans love to talk about running backs.

Reporters know what drives engagement.

Happy to be proved wrong (if it’s a good deal) but I don’t believe we’ve ever been seriously interested in any of the backs we’ve been linked with

We were pretty frugal at WR until we got Cheetah. Then we got Cheetah. What you see as a trend stops being a trend really quickly.
People never seem to appreciate this, or how fast trends in the NFL change.

Right now everyone acts like RBs are worthless. If we trade for Jonathan Taylor, and it’s a 49ers-Dolphins Super Bowl, all of a sudden every story will be about the genius teams that zigged when everyone else zagged and got elite playmaking RBs as a result. And then every team in the league will want a top RB.

The only reason people think RBs are worthless is because the league has been dominated by elite QBs lately. If you have Patrick Mahomes or Tom Brady, it doesn’t really matter who your RB is. And if you don’t have them, you’re probably not going to beat them even if you have the best RB in the league.

That doesn’t mean RBs don’t matter. It just means that for recent NFL history, the general rule has been that if you don’t have the best QB in the league, you’re playing for second place.

I don't think we are being aggressive about signing anyone anymore. If something comes up at the right price...sure you kick the tires (which is what they're doing). Every team makes "calls" to other teams every day, no need to sensationalize it when we do it.

I truly believe they are fine with the RB's we have and would accept adding an upgrade if a top notch deal fell in their lap. We watched them not be aggressive with cook, and he was publicly making it known he wanted to come here. We're being smart.

He's a 3rd string QB as of now, his value couldn't be lower. I'm thinking the 49'ers might regret that move up considering they got their starter in the 7th round, what an odd situation there

Agreed! Not only is he a 3rd string QB but he is behind Sam Darnald lmao!

I don't think we are being aggressive about signing anyone anymore. If something comes up at the right price...sure you kick the tires (which is what they're doing). Every team makes "calls" to other teams every day, no need to sensationalize it when we do it.

I truly believe they are fine with the RB's we have and would accept adding an upgrade if a top notch deal fell in their lap. We watched them not be aggressive with cook, and he was publicly making it known he wanted to come here. We're being smart.
We were pretty aggressive with Ramsey though, came fast and hard

Aggressively might be overstating.

If we can bring in superior talent at a discount price, sure. That's just common sense.

Is the fact that we contact teams for a chat a sign of desperation? I would say not at all. More due diligence with an eye towards value, IMO.
Really? This is what we know of from the media, but certainly there’s more that we don’t know about. Swift during the draft, draft Achane, Jonathan Taylor, Dalvin Cook and now Josh Jacobs. That doesn’t even include trading for Wilson and signing Edmunds. Even an unbiased person would consider this behavior from Grier to be pretty damn aggressive, maybe even desperate. It’s freaking obvious we aren’t OK with the RB room, which is dominated by UFAs, FAs, 2 oft-injured vet RBs and a rookie who’s currently injured.

People never seem to appreciate this, or how fast trends in the NFL change.
Agreed. Yet it's ridiculously touted as a fact by some of the weaker brained football fans. Trends change. Millions of trends in some manner around the world smash to an end each and every day. The Chiefs hadn't won a SB since the 60's until a few years back, now they are constantly referenced as the best team in the league.

I think they are always looking to upgrade the team. As a fan, I would be upset if they weren’t always looking to add talented players to the roster.

Yet they have limited financial resources because of the salary cap and constantly trading high draft picks for high priced players will severely impact their ability to resign their own free agents and replace those free agents with draft picks in the future.

Of course I would love to see Jacobs or Taylor playing for the Dolphins but I also want them to resign Wilkins as well as Sieler or Davis. With the salary cap and the draft picks it would take to trade for either Taylor or Jacobs,
I just don’t see how they could trade for either of those RB’s while also having the money to pay Wilkins, Sieler, or Davis.

Right now the RB’s they have appear to be a solid group and I would rather see them resign Wilkins and either Sieler or Davis than spending the money on another running back.

When you don't pick elite RBs in the draft - ever - you're gonna need to upgrade the room with trades at a much higher prices.
I wouldn’t say that. Najee went in the first round. He is losing reps to his back up. If we were taking RBs in early rounds we could be looking to upgrade a pass rusher and a RB. We are looking to add a proven RB at the NFL level for what will probably be a late first or equivalent value. I would say that we are looking to pick up an elite RB for fair value rather than an unknown for elite value.

Last edited:
Well, it's either Chris Grier calls around and checks on players on the trading block - at EVERY position - or he just sits at home drinking Fiji water and jacking off.

What's not being reported is that he's probably/hopefully calling every team 3x as much trying to find OL help and depth.

I prefer he does his job than jack off, personally.

Nothing more to see here.

Well our RB room is blah.Fast but can't stay on the field a full year.
With good reason he is searching
This is the debate.
How good or bad is our RB room vs going into 2024 draft pick poor.
I guess we just trust the coaches and FO.

Back
Top Bottom