Despite all the denials here…We are aggressively trying to upgrade our RB room | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Despite all the denials here…We are aggressively trying to upgrade our RB room

What's your opinion of him, I don't really follow the guy but he seems to be pretty bad.
He should go down as an all time bust. THREE 1st rounders for this dude?

If McD thinks there's something that he can coach up, WHITE goes on PUP or IR & move LANCE into that QB3 role. SKYLAR obviously in this scenario is QB2.

Wouldn't spend a 7th on him but if he's released & McD is interested, as the 3rd stringer I think he's worth a look.

Sloth Bear GIF by Wildlife SOS

hey arnold nicksplat GIF

Denial isn’t a river in Egypt
I think the Dolphins are good with their current group of RBs. It just so happens that the leading rusher (Jacobs) and the most talented RB (Taylor) are on the market right now. IMO Dolphins doing their due diligence to see if they can get a good deal for a great RB.

Bill Polian said something very interesting on Sirius Radio yesterday that I think fits this conversation.

Polian said that he received a call from Al Davis about trading for Jim Kelly. Davis told Polian he could have any 10 players off the Raiders rosters for the rights to Kelly, who was playing in the USFL at the time.

Polian relayed this to the Bills owner, who laughed and said Davis was bluffing. Polian called Davis and put together a list that included Howie Long and the best 10 players off the Raiders roster.

Polian said Davis told him he get back to him. "I'm still waiting for the call," Polian joked.

The point is teams are going to inquire when good players are made available. I'm not saying Miami isn't interested in upgrading, but I don't know how far they will go.

Cook made it pretty clear his first choice was Miami, but Grier obviously wasn't going to pay $8.5 million. Taylor would probably want a similar contract and, unlike Cook, would require draft compensation.

With the way the Dolphins running backs have looked in preseason, I think this is more due diligence than real interest.

Just my read for what it's worth.

We only offered Cook 4 mil as far as I know, and both these other backs are looking for raises and would require some compensation in draft picks and or a trade of player or players and were 30 mil in the hole for 2024 already and we have quite a few high-priced players to sign.

Have to say 95% looks like click-bait where Dolphin writers are looking to raise their click count (money) shoveling us BS, also have to look at Mostert who is a year off his injury and would appear healthy as far as we know and Cook (shoulder) Taylor (knee) Josh (?) who are all unknowns as far as health is concerned at this point and Grier unwillingness to pay any of them what they want long term.

As far as I can see Grier is the worst of the GM's when it comes to paying RB's or offensive lineman. Wilson 2 years 6 mil Mostert 2 years 2.8 mil - how Wilson got more than Mostert is beyond me. Mostert needs a better agent he is definitely the starter in this 2-back system, which isn't half bad. I would rather spend any money on a better offensive lineman if one broke free after the cut to 53 improving pass blocking and run blocking, another aera Grier has problems paying for.

Does he look of course, he is bargain hunting and has player contracts he would love to get out of (Wilson) but I doubt that would get him 1 of these RB's a contract they would like, a problem in the making.

Dolphin have to be looking at exploring ways to keep their defensive line intact their all FA next year and all want raises. That has to be more important than grabbing a RB who may only be slightly better than Mostert if that.

I think the Dolphins are good with their current group of RBs. It just so happens that the leading rusher (Jacobs) and the most talented RB (Taylor) are on the market right now. IMO Dolphins doing their due diligence to see if they can get a good deal for a great RB.
I think you’re living under a rock. You tell your girlfriend that you’re perfectly happy with her, yet you attempt to date numerous other hot chicks right under her nose. What you DO matters a helluva lot more than what you SAY. LOL

Last edited:
I mean Grier literally said they will always pursue options. Whether that means actual offers or just phone calls. Amazing this kind of stuff is news to people when it came out of the GM's mouth.

"Yeah, I think if there was a really good player, with an opportunity to get a really good player, we can't pass up anything right now," Grier said. "So we need some depth some spots and then running back obviously, with no one under contract on the roster right now, running back would be one and, and there's some good players in this draft. So you know, we'll always keep looking and you guys know how Mike (McDaniel) loves his running backs."

FFS.

Really? This is what we know of from the media, but certainly there’s more that we don’t know about. Swift during the draft, draft Achane, Jonathan Taylor, Dalvin Cook and now Josh Jacobs. That doesn’t even include trading for Wilson and signing Edmunds. Even an unbiased person would consider this behavior from Grier to be pretty damn aggressive, maybe even desperate. It’s freaking obvious we aren’t OK with the RB room, which is dominated by UFAs, FAs, 2 oft-injured vet RBs and a rookie who’s currently injured.
If we are so desperate, why didn't we sign Cook? It could have easily been done.

We only offered Cook 4 mil as far as I know, and both these other backs are looking for raises and would require some compensation in draft picks and or a trade of player or players and were 30 mil in the hole for 2024 already and we have quite a few high-priced players to sign.

Have to say 95% looks like click-bait where Dolphin writers are looking to raise their click count (money) shoveling us BS, also have to look at Mostert who is a year off his injury and would appear healthy as far as we know and Cook (shoulder) Taylor (knee) Josh (?) who are all unknowns as far as health is concerned at this point and Grier unwillingness to pay any of them what they want long term.

As far as I can see Grier is the worst of the GM's when it comes to paying RB's or offensive lineman. Wilson 2 years 6 mil Mostert 2 years 2.8 mil - how Wilson got more than Mostert is beyond me. Mostert needs a better agent he is definitely the starter in this 2-back system, which isn't half bad. I would rather spend any money on a better offensive lineman if one broke free after the cut to 53 improving pass blocking and run blocking, another aera Grier has problems paying for.

Does he look of course, he is bargain hunting and has player contracts he would love to get out of (Wilson) but I doubt that would get him 1 of these RB's a contract they would like, a problem in the making.

Dolphin have to be looking at exploring ways to keep their defensive line intact their all FA next year and all want raises. That has to be more important than grabbing a RB who may only be slightly better than Mostert if that.
I agree with most of this.

I think the offensive line is a little different. Obviously, Grier spent on Armstead and Williams. He has been patient with young players like Jackson, Hunt and Eichenberg. I don't think he's been cheap on the offensive line.

Running back? Absolutely agree there.

Money for defense? 100 percent agree.

Doesn’t make sense to me. The room needs upgrading and yet you wonder why they re-signed everyone so quickly in the Spring.
Negotiating leverage. Only had 4 picks in the draft as well. If we were sitting here with very little in the room we'd be over a barrel when talking to Cook or anyone else. Need to appear and sound like we are "happy" with our current room for best chance at adding a quality player at a reasonable cost. Also they are just plan B if we can't get anything done, will just be rolling the dice on injuries.

If we are so desperate, why didn't we sign Cook? It could have easily been done.
Because we aren’t paying above market value. That doesn’t mean we’re not aggressively pursuing an elite RB, even if it’s for one year. We are.

Back
Top Bottom