Developmental QB Myth | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Developmental QB Myth

GeauxFins2020

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
I see some talk about sticking with Tua and "developing" a QB picked in the mid rounds. It might sound good...but its mostly a myth.

Kirk Cousins is a great example of the developmental QB. Is that what we are looking for?

Every AFC team in the playoffs is led by a first round pick at QB.

In the NFC, three aren't. Two just happen to be the top two in TD passes in NFL history.

One, (Wilson) wasn't developed as much as he was mis -judged out of college. As soon as he got to TC, it was obvious, he should've been picked in round one.

Point being, if you need to develop a starter, pick him in round one. Sure there are plenty of first round busts at QB. But those guys are irrelevant...good teams (usually) have hit on first round QBs...thats why they're good teams.

Unless you get crazy lucky like NE or NO, playoff teams have first round QBs.

I see some talk about sticking with Tua and "developing" a QB picked in the mid rounds. It might sound good...but its mostly a myth.

Kirk Cousins is a great example of the developmental QB. Is that what we are looking for?

In the NFC, three aren't. Two just happen to be the top two in TD passes in NFL history.

One, (Wilson) wasn't developed as much as he was mis -judged out of college. As soon as he got to TC, it was obvious, he should've been picked in round one.

Point being, if you need to develop a starter, pick him in round one. Sure there are plenty of first round busts at QB. But those guys are irrelevant...good teams (usually) have hit on first round QBs...thats why they're good teams.

They also tend to have good coaching and talent elsewhere outside of QB. I've never started drinking at 7:43am but this might be as good a time as any.

Nothing wrong with getting insurance at the most important position in all of sports! For the love of God, we need to get this right, even if their is a ounce of doubt that Tua isn't our guy long term, we need to be quick about this.

If we take a QB, let it be a 1st rounder. The mid round guys “hit” about as often as a Vegas slot machine.

question for all the Tua Haters?

I would trade all of our RB's and WR's straight up with ANY TEAM in Football for their RB's and WR's.. tell me which team in football has a worse package of RB's and WR's?? if you can't name one team then how can you possibly give up on Tua??

If we take a QB, let it be a 1st rounder. The mid round guys “hit” about as often as a Vegas slot machine.
Exactly.

You have a much better chance getting a good WR in the third round that you do of getting a playoff caliber QB. A few names; Terrell Owens, Hines Ward, Steve Smith, Antonio Brown, and the list goes on an on.

If you need a QB, pick him in the first round. Trade the guy you have now for whatever you can get...

OR...

You keep Tua, draft around him and hope for the best.

question for all the Tua Haters?

I would trade all of our RB's and WR's straight up with ANY TEAM in Football for their RB's and WR's.. tell me which team in football has a worse package of RB's and WR's?? if you can't name one team then how can you possibly give up on Tua??
Two things can be simultaneously true. Skill positions can be horrible (in Miami, they are.) QB can be a bust.

The question of the OP was: How do you address those positions? Skill position players can be had in later rounds and have a good chance of success. Most good teams draft their QBs in first round (or get lucky, like NE, or have a great situation like New Orleans-above avg QB skills with an amazing offensive mind in Payton.)

I think Tua will improve next year...better oline, better weapons around him...and I still think he's going to be a game manager. Ironic that Trent Dilfer is his biggest fan. It will take the team that Dilfer had around him to allow Tua to be successful.

Don’t forget...Brees barely slipped out of round one...and shouldn’t have had Miami not made the mistake of drafting Jamar Fletcher.

Ryan Leaf begs to differ because when it comes to bust he is the White Whale and I believe he was the #1 Pick Overall that year.
My point is that its a crap shoot either way

Excellent post!

Let's draft Zach Wilson and Trey Lance. Those two plus Tua can have competitions on who can throw to ex QBs and have the most success!

SuperBOWL BOUND.
Kind of taking it to the extreme aren’t you?

We have 3 other top 50 picks...if the red flags are high enough, we won’t see #3 again anytime soon.

You must evaluate these QB’s thoroughly to see if any beyond Lawrence are worth it.

Two things can be simultaneously true. Skill positions can be horrible (in Miami, they are.) QB can be a bust.

The question of the OP was: How do you address those positions? Skill position players can be had in later rounds and have a good chance of success. Most good teams draft their QBs in first round (or get lucky, like NE, or have a great situation like New Orleans-above avg QB skills with an amazing offensive mind in Payton.)

I think Tua will improve next year...better oline, better weapons around him...and I still think he's going to be a game manager. Ironic that Trent Dilfer is his biggest fan. It will take the team that Dilfer had around him to allow Tua to be successful.
true, but how can you judge a QB when he has absolutely nothing around him? that was my point, I would even take the Jets skill players over ours?
with that being said, I draft a WR at 1A (hopefully after a trade down to 7 or 8) and then a RB and would love to sign a FA WR and then see what happens next year with Tua

On point!

Back
Top Bottom