Developmental QB Myth | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Developmental QB Myth

well the pick is 3, so you probably ending up with the 3rd qb- not the 1st are 2nd... should mia evaluate if the third QB is better than Tua?

sure- that doesn’t mean the player will be though.
Assuming the Jets give up on Sammy. It could be the 2nd QB.

We already have a QB, why waste a pick on a QB that want be as good as your current QB can be? Lawrence is the only consideration, he will not be available.

Get Tua weapons, and get the right scheme on offense. Tua is not the problem.
So say you...I think it’s far from a certainty, and to assume he’s better than what might be there at #3 is very closeminded!

If this GM and the coaches aren't sure about Tua, then they're already on the path to being fired. 5th overall selections that don't work out equals fired GM and coaches. If they draft another QB at #3, they should probably be canned. Let the next GM figure out how to sort the mess.

So say you...I think it’s far from a certainty, and to assume he’s better than what might be there at #3 is very closeminded!
Lol....Its not closeminded, its just a fan having an opinion on a message board. I am a believer in Tua. I see a young QB that had not stepped on a field in a year. A rookie QB in the NFL with no rookie camp and no offseason as he was still recovering. I also see a QB with maybe the worst set of weapons in the NFL, while playing in a scheme that does not fit his strengths at all. The kid played against the toughest part, the meat of our schedule. This team and coaching staff was looking playoffs. How many rookie QB's are put in that position with no rookie camp and no offseason while playing with a terrible group of weapons around him? It doesn't happen.

Ryan Leaf begs to differ because when it comes to bust he is the White Whale and I believe he was the #1 Pick Overall that year.
My point is that its a crap shoot either way
You are totally missing the point. Of course there are first round busts as QBS...I addressed it in the OP. But that's not looking at what is important. Failure's don't matter. The teams that fail don't matter. I am looking at the teams that succeed...they get their QB in the first round, except in rare cases, with Brees and Brady being the most obvious.

Other than those two, its a crap shoot to find a QB that is a perennial playoff contender with a "mid round developmental" guy.

true, but how can you judge a QB when he has absolutely nothing around him? that was my point, I would even take the Jets skill players over ours?
with that being said, I draft a WR at 1A (hopefully after a trade down to 7 or 8) and then a RB and would love to sign a FA WR and then see what happens next year with Tua
I don't know how you do it...there are people that get paid to do it and they must find a way. The coaches and evaluators see him everyday in practice and in the meetings. They know if he's improving enough and has the raw skills to develop. They are going to put their multi million dollar a year job on the line making that determination.

If they keep Tua, they will share his fate, whatever that turns out to be. I am a rank amateur...in my eyes, Tua doesn't pass the test. But, I don't make the call...I just post about it on a message board.

I have no idea what the point of this thread is. We need a backup QB. Someone who isn't incompetent if Tua misses a game. We wouldn't be drafting one in the hopes that they beat out the starter. We draft one in the hopes that he beats out Jake Ruddock.

What if the Jets take Sewell? If Fields is sitting there what do we do? I wonder what the FO is thinking this morning.

We already have a QB, why waste a pick on a QB that want be as good as your current QB can be? Lawrence is the only consideration, he will not be available.

Get Tua weapons, and get the right scheme on offense. Tua is not the problem.
Because there is a legitimate question as to how good our QB is or can be. That is a critical off season evaluation. If we have a good defense and STs next year, a good running game, better WRs and somehow our QB is still limping through his reads and constantly making check downs or taking sacks, he is not the guy. Better to know that now so we can address it.

You never know if you have the guy in the draft, but you need to know if you don't have the guy. AZ made the right call, IMO. Got rid of a guy they traded up to draft. He wasn't good enough. They didn't wait around--they cut bait and moved on because the opportunity presented itself.

well the pick is 3, so you probably ending up with the 3rd qb- not the 1st are 2nd... should mia evaluate if the third QB is better than Tua?

sure- that doesn’t mean the player will be though.
I was about to say...Roethlisberger was third QB in the first round. Josh Allen was third QB in first round...
I have no idea what the point of this thread is. We need a backup QB. Someone who isn't incompetent if Tua misses a game. We wouldn't be drafting one in the hopes that they beat out the starter. We draft one in the hopes that he beats out Jake Ruddock.
Uh...what?

What if the Jets take Sewell? If Fields is sitting there what do we do? I wonder what the FO is thinking this morning.
I say you take Fields and try to move Tua to a team that has a vet QB like the Steelers or Panthers.

Excellent post!

Let's draft Zach Wilson and Trey Lance. Those two plus Tua can have competitions on who can throw to ex QBs and have the most success!

SuperBOWL BOUND.
Yes, I have no doubt Fields or Wilson or Lance will have a lot more success playing on an offense with no running attack and practice squad quality WR‘s than Tua did. They obviously are so good they will be able to magically transform perhaps the worth talent on offense in the NFL into a SB team in one years.
While they are at it, perhaps the Dolphins can trade Tua for a 7th round pick and a bag of potato chips. Because he is obviously the real problem with the offense and will be a complete bust in the NFL.

At least that is what I have learned from all those Madden experts who have already declared that Tua will never make it as a QB in the NFL.

Back
Top Bottom