Devonta Smith | Page 35 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Devonta Smith

Still waiting for someone to explain to me how Pitts, the matchup nightmare, the surefire Hall of Famer, the freak athlete, managed to break 100 yards 4 whole times in his collegiate career.

Still waiting for someone to explain to me how Pitts, the matchup nightmare, the surefire Hall of Famer, the freak athlete, managed to break 100 yards 4 whole times in his collegiate career.
Because he was good in college but will be great beyond anything we've ever seen in the pros.

You need to keep in mind many times bama players(I'm a Canes fan btw) sometimes only played a half or maybe 3 quoters because the games were already out of hand, not to mention they had plenty of good players that Saban wanted to get in the game. Not trying to take sides here but just saying that's something to consider.
Pitts is not an Alabama player. If anything that would show just how dominant Smith was that he was still putting up those numbers.

Pitts is not an Alabama player. If anything that would show just how dominant Smith was that he was still putting up those numbers.
Sorry, I misread. I thought you were talking about Smith when in fact you were talking about Pitts. Yes you're right, that shows how amazing Smith was putting up all those numbers in half the time.

Only 4 career 100 yard games for Pitts? Wow. That must mean he sucks. Stats are all that matter. If Stats are all that matter...Playing in the SEC..then DeVonta Smith would be being talked about as the greatest player In college football history and the sure-fire HOF player, here.

Guess what? He's not.

Only 4 career 100 yard games for Pitts? Wow. That must mean he sucks. Stats are all that matter. If Stats are all that matter...Playing in the SEC..then DeVonta Smith would be being talked about as the greatest player In college football history and the sure-fire HOF player, here.

Guess what? He's not.
What it does mean, is that Pitts's ability to play in the NFL is still a projection, same as Smith's.

You can be big and fast all you want, but ignoring actual production is how teams and fans get disappointed.

It's like drafting some freak athlete DE who only had 10 total sacks in college and expecting him to dominate in the NFL. Crap like that is how guys like Taco Charlton end up getting drafted in the first round.

You'll ignore it because you're President of the Pitts fan club which is how I know you're young, but I'm just saying that people shouldn't.

If you're expected to dominate at the next level, I'd expect you to have dominated at your current level already.

I'm not falling for the Pitts hype.

What it does mean, is that Pitts's ability to play in the NFL is still a projection, same as Smith's.

You can be big and fast all you want, but ignoring actual production is how teams and fans get disappointed.

It's like drafting some freak athlete DE who only had 10 total sacks in college and expecting him to dominate in the NFL. Crap like that is how guys like Taco Charlton end up getting drafted in the first round.

You'll ignore it because you're President of the Pitts fan club which is how I know you're young, but I'm just saying that people shouldn't.

If you're expected to dominate at the next level, I'd expect you to have dominated at your current level already.

I'm not falling for the Pitts hype.
Is it his fault? He caught every pass thrown his way deemed "catchable" last season with zero drops? Can Smith say the same?

If he had as many targets, he'd have had more yards.

Doubt Pitts as I've doubted Smith all you want.

Both will probably be very good. I just think Pitts will be better! That's my right! And many people that know more than you think the same!

Don't fall for his hype, that's your right.

I'll do me.

You do you.

Enjoy it. :UP: :UP: :UP: :munch:

Is it his fault? He caught every pass thrown his way deemed "catchable" last season with zero drops? Can Smith say the same?

If he had as many targets, he'd have had more yards.

Doubt Pitts as I've doubted Smith all you want.

Both will probably be very good. I just think Pitts will be better! That's my right! And many people that know more than you think the same!

Don't fall for his hype, that's your right.

I'll do me.

You do you.

Enjoy it. :UP: :UP: :UP: :munch:
So you're saying it's Trask's fault?

So you're saying it's Trask's fault?
Not totally. We had a lot of weapons and we didn't always pass just to Pitts..why do that? I mean, correct me if I'm wrong, but a pass catcher can only catch the passes that his QB throws to him, no?

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but Waddle got hurt and missed a lot of games and through about 4 games he was on pace to have a better and more prolific season than Smith, at that point? No. Disagree?

Sometimes as a pass catcher, seeing as you get passes thrown to you and that's the main way you get the ball, you only put up the "Statistics" that are allowed by the amount of balls thrown your way.

Not this isn't to say Smith isn't good, no way.

Pitts did what he could with what he was dealt.

It's not per say Trask fault..but it also is the fact we like to spread the ball around last season to, yes Pitts, but also Grimes and Kadarius Toney and Copeland and Shorter and all the other WR's and even our Runninbacks like Malik Davis who is a great pass catcher out of the backfield and helped kill Georgia last year after repeated wheel routes.

So yeah..also Pitts played 7.5 games total because of an illegal hit to his head against Georgia..so those numbers stated he put up are really good for the amount of games played.

Not totally. We had a lot of weapons and we didn't always pass just to Pitts..why do that? I mean, correct me if I'm wrong, but a pass catcher can only catch the passes that his QB throws to him, no?

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but Waddle got hurt and missed a lot of games and through about 4 games he was on pace to have a better and more prolific season than Smith, at that point? No. Disagree?

Sometimes as a pass catcher, seeing as you get passes thrown to you and that's the main way you get the ball, you only put up the "Statistics" that are allowed by the amount of balls thrown your way.

Not this isn't to say Smith isn't good, no way.

Pitts did what he could with what he was dealt.

It's not per say Trask fault..but it also is the fact we like to spread the ball around last season to, yes Pitts, but also Grimes and Kadarius Toney and Copeland and Shorter and all the other WR's and even our Runninbacks like Malik Davis who is a great pass catcher out of the backfield and helped kill Georgia last year after repeated wheel routes.

So yeah..also Pitts played 7.5 games total because of an illegal hit to his head against Georgia..so those numbers stated he put up are really good for the amount of games played.
He still put up only 3 100 yard games in the games he did play this year and usually QBs pass to you when you're open.

Probably why Smith had far more production. Being open increases targets.

He still put up only 3 100 yard games in the games he did play this year and usually QBs pass to you when you're open.

Probably why Smith had far more production. Being open increases targets.
How many yards per game did he average? Yards per reception? Touchdowns? It all factors in, all in 7.5 games.

Your logic is lacking, and it's evident.

I'll put my money on Pitts having a bigger impact, bro. And the "bigger impact" isn't always about the statistics.

Let's see what happens. One of us will be right!

These player threads always seem to become about other players than the OP. Certainly comparisions are being made in the analysis of these guys. But focusing on Smith, this comparison gives me some relief.

Marvin Harrison: 6' 179 lbs
Devonta Smith: 6'1" 170 lbs

Doesn't mean the Heisman/Championship MVP will become a HOFer like Harrison. But it can be done, it has been done, and if anyone could have a chance at repeating a career like Harrison, well Devonta Smith is certainly coming in with the accolades and skill set to give it a go.

I hope his weight scares off teams and he falls. Would love to take him later in the 1st. Give me a Sewell/Smith 1st. But I don't think the fall will be that much. I'm cool with him at #6 if that is the pick.

These player threads always seem to become about other players than the OP. Certainly comparisions are being made in the analysis of these guys. But focusing on Smith, this comparison gives me some relief.

Marvin Harrison: 6' 179 lbs
Devonta Smith: 6'1" 170 lbs

Doesn't mean the Heisman/Championship MVP will become a HOFer like Harrison. But it can be done, it has been done, and if anyone could have a chance at repeating a career like Harrison, well Devonta Smith is certainly coming in with the accolades and skill set to give it a go.

I hope his weight scares off teams and he falls. Would love to take him later in the 1st. Give me a Sewell/Smith 1st. But I don't think the fall will be that much. I'm cool with him at #6 if that is the pick.
I got ya..but once again... https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/H/HarrMa00.htm

Harrison is listed as 185lbs here..he bulked up. Not a ton. But if Smith can add weight/muscle and not be too much restricted because of that, he, too, has a chance. More so. For sure.

He can be fine at 165 or 170lbs, Smith. Never know!

I got ya..but once again... https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/H/HarrMa00.htm

Harrison is listed as 185lbs here..he bulked up. Not a ton. But if Smith can add weight/muscle and not be too much restricted because of that, he, too, has a chance. More so. For sure.

He can be fine at 165 or 170lbs, Smith. Never know!
Ah I see his combine weight was 181lbs too.

He was listed at 175lbs at Syracuse.

They're close.

I know, I know.. the last freaking thing we need is another wide receiver/1st round selection debate thread.

I will disclose that my preference is Pitts/ Chase at # 6, but we no longer control the destiny of either of those players at that pick. If Atlanta goes QB or trades out, or (less likely) Cincinnati takes the much-needed offensive tackle, this thread is completely moot.

However, how could we be suicidal with Devonta Smith at # 6? Check out this YT vid...

Back
Top Bottom