Devonta Smith | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Devonta Smith

There are measurements taken on players for a reason, and while I don't think they are the primary reason to pick or not to pick a player, they do have some meaningful value. Smith is skinny and he is fast, but his frame size is definitely a concern for injury, and every team is going to want to bulk him up after they draft him. That said, how much speed if any does he lose at a modest weight increase? At his size, what can he do when CB's start to jam him hard at the line? If he has put on some weight but won't run, it could be he is slower and knows it will hurt his position. I highly doubt he has been promised his draft spot at this time.

Remember, just because he looked great in college means nothing at the next level, something that Tua knows this all too well. A player that can't separate or is built too small at a high contact position isn't long for the NFL, no matter how much talent and skill he has. Remember Pat White?

What do 3 years of college play tell you that a weekend of make believe exercises won't?

What a bunch of "Lemming" juice!

That is a tricky question, for a career you are correct on Smith. But Chase was every bit as productive his last yr as Smith was this yr and that was with Jefferson being on the other side of him. If Waddle doesn't go down then Smith does not touch what Chase did last year, not sure that is even debatable.
Chase would have been the first WR taken last year when Ruedy and Ruggs were thought to be better prospects than Smith. Just seems to be a lot riding on this one season that Waddle got knocked out of. I think Smith is tremendous. I just can't ignore the disparity in the measurables between Chase and Smith.
You mention measurables, but do you really believe Chase is a 4.38 player from his play? Does it not look like Smith plays faster than Chase does and wouldn't that be a super important differential?

I don’t watch much college ball- no time. Obviously I’m not qualified to comment on Smith but I can say that anyone hating on dying for Pitts is once again highly Finheaven-entrenched in their opinion.

Every post should start with I understand the love of Pitts and then so on and so forth.

You have to be a grump just looking for argument if you can’t admit that Pitts’ measurements is what every coach thinks about whilst making love to their wives.

Seeing as the draft is a gamble, the odds are with us for a blue chip pass catcher at a position of need. So what’s the fuss about?

What is lemming juice. I miss you ray btw.

"Lemming" juice is a yellow liquid form of "Lemming" drops. This is a play on Lemon juice and Lemon drops.

I always felt the relationship between "Lemmings" and "Lemons" (Lemon (a fruit) that is full of acid (citric acid)) as an excellent equivalent for "haters" was obvious, just had a better odor!

In that context "Lemming" juice and "Lemming" drops refer to those hyperbolic posts that go "overboard" on hate.

You mention measurables, but do you really believe Chase is a 4.38 player from his play? Does it not look like Smith plays faster than Chase does and wouldn't that be a super important differential?
One was timed and another wasn't, my eyes can tell me one thing but one guy was timed, weighed and threw up 225 like it was sack of potatoes. The other guy was resting a broken hand (something that would cost him multiple games in the NFL), so he couldn't be timed and somehow the same broken hand must have kept him from being weighed.

If your argument is about speed, then A. I don't think Smith times better than 4.38 and B. If Smith looks faster then maybe Chase needs work on the nuances of route running. The ONLY attribute Smith appears to have on Chase is suddenness. So that is why we choose Smith?

Speed - Sorry but unless Smith runs and he probably won't, Chase wins and Smith isn't clocking better than 4.38
Strength - Chase
Height and Weight measurables - Chase
Production - Smith but with the caveat that Smith really shown when Waddle went down whereas Chase put up insane numbers with Jefferson getting a cut.

Look I think both players can be very good but if I am getting paid to make this pick one guy checks a HELL of a lot more boxes and I would bet anyone on here 2 - Club Member subscriptions that Chase will be selected before Smith.

One last item on that speed, one guy is clocked at 4.38 while carrying a chiseled 200 lbs. the other guy is trying to do the same looking like a Kenyan Marathon runner.

One was timed and another wasn't, my eyes can tell me one thing but one guy was timed, weighed and threw up 225 like it was sack of potatoes. The other guy was resting a broken hand (something that would cost him multiple games in the NFL), so he couldn't be timed and somehow the same broken hand must have kept him from being weighed.

If your argument is about speed, then A. I don't think Smith times better than 4.38 and B. If Smith looks faster then maybe Chase needs work on the nuances of route running. The ONLY attribute Smith appears to have on Chase is suddenness. So that is why we choose Smith?

Speed - Sorry but unless Smith runs and he probably won't, Chase wins and Smith isn't clocking better than 4.38
Strength - Chase
Height and Weight measurables - Chase
Production - Smith but with the caveat that Smith really shown when Waddle went down whereas Chase put up insane numbers with Jefferson getting a cut.

Look I think both players can be very good but if I am getting paid to make this pick one guy checks a HELL of a lot more boxes and I would bet anyone on here 2 - Club Member subscriptions that Chase will be selected before Smith.
He was timed with a hand timed stopwatch.

He isn't 4.38.

Smith won't run at all so there is that. Take the speed, give Chase 4.42 then. Still don't know what Smith runs, I guarantee it is not 4.3.
Unfortunately we'll never know, but I'd bet everything I own that given an entire year to do nothing but train for the underwear Olympics that Smith runs a faster 40 than Chase.

Yea, let's just look at his crushing 2020 resume...
As long as it applies to Sewell, Parsons and every other top prospect that opted out. So Smith padded stats on a LOADED team. If Chase played it would have been on a rebuilding team that lost everything from it's QB, OL, TE, WR's. Yeah not exactly apples and oranges. Let's compare when they both had comparable teams around them, sound fair? It does to me.

I don’t know why it would. Smith is the better player and if it is between Pitts and Smith, Smith is the right pick.
It's funny. When the off-season began, and we all knew Tua needed some more offensive weapons, it was all about us getting Smith for me. When you factor in Pitts, I find it more complicated because he can do both WR and TE at a high level. My gut tells me Smith is going to be a stud because he's an elite route runner. I think it boils down to the offense we want to run. Who we take should give us a clue as to what our new coordinators want to do. I would be happy with either one.

Back
Top Bottom