Devonta Smith | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Devonta Smith

Fun fact: Pitts at 6'6" 245lbs missed more games this season than 115lb Devonta Smith has his entire career.

The "he's going to get injured" argument is maybe the dumbest possible thing I ever hear in football. It can happen to anybody, any time. Doesn't matter if you weigh 340 or 150.

The simple question is, all other things being equal, does a guy 200 lbs deal with the punishment better than a 170 lb player at that position? It's a fair question and the reality is, very few WRs at 6 feet and that weight are drafted, let alone high. He's a great, great talent but we cannot pretend that his weight is irrelevant.

The simple question is, all other things being equal, does a guy 200 lbs deal with the punishment better than a 170 lb player at that position? It's a fair question and the reality is, very few WRs at 6 feet and that weight are drafted, let alone high. He's a great, great talent but we cannot pretend that his weight is irrelevant.
I wouldn't say it's irrelevant as I would prefer him to be 220 and play exactly like he does in a perfect world, but you also can't make assumptions on what could happen in the future when they haven't already happened in his career. If he got hurt a lot playing in the SEC at that size then I would absolutely take heed, but he hasn't so why make things more complicated than they should be?

Is it really a better idea to take a less effective player because you think they *might* stay healthier? Make no mistake, no player in this draft was more productive than Smith. None.

Are all those anti Smith also anti Grant?

I wouldn't say it's irrelevant as I would prefer him to be 220 and play exactly like he does in a perfect world, but you also can't make assumptions on what could happen in the future when they haven't already happened in his career. If he got hurt a lot playing in the SEC at that size then I would absolutely take heed, but he hasn't so why make things more complicated than they should be?

Is it really a better idea to take a less effective player because you think they *might* stay healthier? Make no mistake, no player in this draft was more productive than Smith. None.
Mass stats..massive. Reminds me of Michael Crabtree crap..Top 10! Can't miss! Heavy passing offense! *bust*

Fun fact: Pitts at 6'6" 245lbs missed more games this season than 115lb Devonta Smith has his entire career.

The "he's going to get injured" argument is maybe the dumbest possible thing I ever hear in football. It can happen to anybody, any time. Doesn't matter if you weigh 340 or 150.

Weird right....

This forum will explode draft night if Pitts is there at 6 and we draft Smith.

@Gatorboy999120 will be on the edge of a tall building.

The forum won't explode.

The "Lemmings" will show themselves. The more voracious the complaint, the bigger the lemming.
This is also known as the inverse "Lemming" squared law (1/(complaining-squared)).

Mass stats..massive. Reminds me of Michael Crabtree crap..Top 10! Can't miss! Heavy passing offense! *bust*
Crabtree didn't play any defenses in his conference. Smith is routinely destroying every top NFL cornerback prospect. He also fell off the face of the Earth when Texas Tech played good teams whereas Smith is putting up 200 yards and 3 TDs in a half against the 2nd best team in the league.

Apples and Oranges.

Here are my serious concerns with with Smith
1. Reports come in he is 155-160lbs.
2. Refuses to weigh in on pro day.
3. Declines to weigh in and workout on the same day.

Anyone that has padded weight knows these are serious red flags.
I used to compete as a Kickboxer and I could easily gain 10-15 LBs but you can't easily do that and fight. That's why weigh-ins are the day before. So you can lose weight then try and get healthy in a day or pig out, drink mass amounts if water without pissing then turn around and instantly shed it because its fake weight.
I don't want a 155lb 6-1 WR. I weighed 155lbs in 8th grade.
Dude looks like a walking pencil.

Its possible he kills it in the NFL but its also possible he gets man-handled.
Edit: wanted to point out that after refusing to weigh in at the Senior Bowl and having 2 months to add weight Smith managed to weigh 170lbs...yikes!!!
Dude I been saying this but anytime you say stuff like that here people think you are insane.

That is a tricky question, for a career you are correct on Smith. But Chase was every bit as productive his last yr as Smith was this yr and that was with Jefferson being on the other side of him. If Waddle doesn't go down then Smith does not touch what Chase did last year, not sure that is even debatable.
Chase would have been the first WR taken last year when Ruedy and Ruggs were thought to be better prospects than Smith. Just seems to be a lot riding on this one season that Waddle got knocked out of. I think Smith is tremendous. I just can't ignore the disparity in the measurables between Chase and Smith.

Back
Top Bottom